• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bohemian Rhapsody?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Just finished it. He did a great job as Freddie but I only give the movie an alright. Maybe because I wasn’t a huge fan. Freddie was a good performer but I have a pretty good list above him or Maybe it’s because I saw them live years ago but if you’re a huge Queen fan, I’m sure you will like it.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wife and I saw it. Very enjoyable. For their place in rock history, Queen didn’t really receive critical acclaim while they were making great music. Though I’ve never relied on the intelligence of critics. :p

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It was great movie and Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury was amazing. I didn't think he would be good, I had always thought that Sasha Baron Cohen would be a better Freddie but after disagreements with Queen band members, he dropped out. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...departure-from-freddie-mercury-biopic-240616/

Rami disappeared and it was FM. Great and surprising performance.
Oddly, while the band and Cohen had creative differences, they actually listened to Cohen and incorporated his ideas in to the film. From another article, the band had planned for Freddie's death in the middle of the film and the remainder to be about how the band carried on. From an interview Cohen did with Howard Stern;

“They wanted to protect their legacy as a band,” Cohen explained. The actor went on to say that the members of Queen wanted the film to be about “how the band carries on from strength to strength” following Mercury’s death and less about the star singer himself. “I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from AIDS and then you see how the band carries on.'”

We also saw the movie and enjoyed it. Based on other articles I have read, it seems the band wanted to create a feel good story about the band and Freddie and and Cohen was wanting to tell the story more along the lines of the raw reality that existed.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/mar/09/sacha-baron-cohen-freddie-mercury-biopic-queen

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished it. He did a great job as Freddie but I only give the movie an alright. Maybe because I wasn’t a huge fan. Freddie was a good performer but I have a pretty good list above him or Maybe it’s because I saw them live years ago but if you’re a huge Queen fan, I’m sure you will like it.

OK, I can appreciate that you weren't a huge fan; to each their own. I get it. However, suggesting Freddie Mercury was a "good performer" is a clear understatement. Please, share that 'pretty good list" of performers that were above his showmanship. And, if you've seen them live. Perhaps you could also include a few YouTube videos with audiences of 72,000 people going wild.

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
Sadly, haven't found the time to see the movie yet, due to work constraints being on-call at the hospital. I spent one evening last week watching youtube videos of various Queen performances and documentaries. I went back to my childhood remembering how much I loved Queen and hated the song Radio Gaga. Rewatching a documentary and seeing the epic 21 minute Live Aid performance reversed my decision regarding Radio Gaga. It was a genius song that totally worked when played live in an arena. Watching the video shot of from behind Mercury extending his right arm toward the crowd as they responded in rhythm (All 80,000 of them!) was pure genius.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
OK, I can appreciate that you weren't a huge fan; to each their own. I get it. However, suggesting Freddie Mercury was a "good performer" is a clear understatement. Please, share that 'pretty good list" of performers that were above his showmanship. And, if you've seen them live. Perhaps you could also include a few YouTube videos with audiences of 72,000 people going wild.

Not getting into that. Obviously, he is either your favorite or one of your favorites. We disagree, that’s fine. There are plenty of videos out there of performers playing to huge crowds and the crowds are participanting or going wild.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not getting into that. Obviously, he is either your favorite or one of your favorites. We disagree, that’s fine. There are plenty of videos out there of performers playing to huge crowds and the crowds are participanting or going wild.

Not getting into what? You're the one that posted "a good list above him". I simply asked that you share your list. Performer showmanship above Freddie Mercury? And you won't share who??

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

See Black Sabbath for example.....but only from a safe distance.
If such exists....

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not getting into what? You're the one that posted "a good list above him". I simply asked that you share your list. Performer showmanship above Freddie Mercury? And you won't share who??

I’m not going to get into an argument with you about my opinion.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to get into an argument with you about my opinion.

Hmmmm, must be an interesting list. Would Barry Manilow or Milli Vanilli happen to be on it? ;)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If such exists....
I'm a fan of Disaster Area, but my Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic is broken so I can't get to a safe distance to listen.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went and saw this yesterday after asking here about it, loved it! Got the other half to go, it's been years since got him to go w/me to a movie. Other half liked the movie also.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Now there's a "Flash Gordon" commercial on TV. We are being invaded by Queen!

Savior of the Universe!

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
If such exists....
Hey I love Black Sabbath as well. My tastes are very varied. But Black Sabbath didn't play in front of crowds of 100,000 people. The shear number of people in unison is what makes the Live Aid video so cool. Only Micheal Jackson played more concerts of greater than 120,000 people (4 Times). Queen did it 3 times. Black Sabbath farewell tour only averaged 12,000 per concert.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resurgence in Queen for certain. I'm considering offering my concert photos on eBay, complete with shots of the correlative ticket stubs, and the stories behind each shot.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew about Queen & Freddie Mercury but never listened to them????? Reason: I only listened to “Golden Oldies”. My loss. I was in 7th heaven watching the movie

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resurgence in Queen for certain. I'm considering offering my concert photos on eBay, complete with shots of the correlative ticket stubs, and the stories behind each shot.
You'll get more $ if you sell the ticket stubs! :p

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll get more $ if you sell the ticket stubs! :p

Stubs not for sale ;)

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather receive a 'cease' letter from Queen for selling the photos. I don't need the money, but the cease letter, framed next to my Queen photos, would look pretty cool.

Remember when cameras and video recorders were strictly prohibited from concerts? Heck, they wouldn't let you in with them!! I had to smuggle my 35mm SLR in to every concert. Now, the reverse is true.

(Loosen belt buckle 3 holes, feed camera in between the belt and body above a$$, lens facing down, tighten belt, cover with shirt).

Today, everyone in the venue has a hi-res camera/video in their pocket, and no one is asking that anyone refrains from photographing or video of their concerts. Contrary, the artists want you to live stream and record their concerts! Social media compensating for near zero record sales. Artists today make their money on the road.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I too would appreciate it if slip would post his list of better performers. I don’t want this to become an argument. As someone who knew about Queen but never listened, I’m sure I would learn about others I overlooked while listening to oldies.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I too would appreciate it if slip would post his list of better performers. I don’t want this to become an argument. As someone who knew about Queen but never listened, I’m sure I would learn about others I overlooked while listening to oldies.

Heck, go onto YouTube and search for ‘70’s music, Tons of good stuff. My list has no secrets, just people I put above Freddie Mercury.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Saw it last night with my mom. We both enjoyed it but she LOVED it.

I have to admit, the teeth were distracting a little to me. The really look like veneers or fake teeth. They don't age in the movie and they look too white still near the end. And they didn't have the gaps either.

Also, I felt like the film could have told us a little more about other band members, not just Freddie.

But overall, very good. And definitely the kind of movie that's better in theaters on the big screen.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck, go onto YouTube and search for ‘70’s music, Tons of good stuff. My list has no secrets, just people I put above Freddie Mercury.

And writing "I have a pretty good list above him" is an empty assertion when you choose not to support your assertion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; no one argues that. However, an empty assertion is just that, an empty assertion. Great way to toss away your credibility too. Personally, I dismiss such assertions.