• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bogus listings

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
anyone encountered listings from brokers on marketplace or other sites? Every time I find a good unit it seems it’s not available but they will search for me. Getting frustrating

I responded to a listing on the marketplace and was contacted within 20 minutes from a broker who asked what I was looking for (thought was odd since I responded to exactly what I was looking for). He asked for the listing number and I provided it. He came back with “there is no association and perhaps I inquired through another resource”.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Teaser ads are the best. :bawl::bawl:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Teaser ads are the best. :bawl::bawl:
It’s like the old saying goes, if it’s too good to be true, it’s a dang lie lol.

I’m guessing an eBay seller with one overall feedback yet has multiple timeshare listings is fake. Not to mention there was no email address found when I emailed the listed email on the posting.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Where are you finding these listings? I had this happen on Redweek but the broker didn't tell me he didn't have the listing, and tried to negotiate on price without consulting the seller. Once we agreed on a price I believe he went out and found a listing. It took several weeks for him to produce a sales contract. Smarmy and dishonest...these are red flags.

I now ask for the MLS listing number before I give an offer to ensure they actually have the listing.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have experienced the same with a well know agent recommended many times by tuggers. The week wasn’t available and I was told about a few other things, higher priced. The ad was never taken down and almost a year later is still listed. (The ad was not on tug but a well know site).

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had responded to a listing that was for 1 million Canterbury for $9500. I was told that it was under contract. Weeks later the website was cleaned up and another 1 million Canterbury for $12500 popped up. I inquired again just to be told that it was the same contract as the previous one and that it was still under contract. I'm over these games.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have experienced the same with a well know agent recommended many times by tuggers. The week wasn’t available and I was told about a few other things, higher priced. The ad was never taken down and almost a year later is still listed. (The ad was not on tug but a well know site).

If they are being recommended by others on this site, perhaps it may help that you share the name and any contact information for the agent.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
please report ads like these, just send the ad number and details to tug@tug2.net

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Where are you finding these listings? I had this happen on Redweek but the broker didn't tell me he didn't have the listing, and tried to negotiate on price without consulting the seller. Once we agreed on a price I believe he went out and found a listing. It took several weeks for him to produce a sales contract. Smarmy and dishonest...these are red flags.

I now ask for the MLS listing number before I give an offer to ensure they actually have the listing.
This latest listing was here on the marketplace. I hit email member and 10 min later I get a response to “call me to discuss my inquiry”. So I do, he’s like what are you looking for? I gave him the listing number and he wrote back there was no affiliation. I’m confused how he emailed me right away then.

Moving on to eBay, I want a unit. But the seller isn’t responding, the email is the same as the eBay handle at yahoo which keeps getting bounced back and there is only one feedback. The feedback was from a buyer also with 1 feedback lol. The seller has multiple listings. I asked about a buy now since I wanted it and an hour later a buy now was added for 50 bucks. But still won’t respond. Payment is through a PayPal invoice which is a joke. Wondering if there is any protection with PayPal if it’s a scam.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Moving on to eBay, I want a unit. But the seller isn’t responding, the email is the same as the eBay handle at yahoo which keeps getting bounced back and there is only one feedback. The feedback was from a buyer also with 1 feedback lol. The seller has multiple listings. I asked about a buy now since I wanted it and an hour later a buy now was added for 50 bucks. But still won’t respond. Payment is through a PayPal invoice which is a joke. Wondering if there is any protection with PayPal if it’s a scam.

I "bought it now" for $50, let's see what happens.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

I have never bought a timeshare on Ebay before. What if you change your mind? What if the estoppel is not as represented. How easy is it to cancel the purchase? Do they keep the $?

Of course losing $50 isn't much to risk but can you back out easily if the deal is not as expected?

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I have never bought a timeshare on Ebay before. What if you change your mind? What if the estoppel is not as represented. How easy is it to cancel the purchase? Do they keep the $?

I’ve bought a few on EBay; best approach IMHO is to ask for estoppel from the seller before bidding. I’ve had a couple where there were differences and one where I had to call the resort for details not listed (RTU end date). Always best to do your homework before bidding.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
According to the listing you got a platinum one bedroom deluxe for 50 bucks. The seller said no points come with that ownership. Something didn’t seem right. If it’s the 67k unit congrats! Huge score

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Right. They wanted payment through PayPal. They didn’t have an estoppel and didn’t know the weeks it floated in. They only added the buy now after I asked about it. They claimed to have the maint fee statement and the title yet didn’t have any information on weeks. I either lost out on a huge deal or dodged a scam. Time will tell @echino will keep us posted! Looks like he owns Harborside. He could use a break lol.

I’ve purchased through eBay twice. But never from someone with no feedback and the listed email address kept coming back saying undeliverable, no such address

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I'll keep you posted. Worst case I lose $50.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If they are being recommended by others on this site, perhaps it may help that you share the name and any contact information for the agent.
The people that recommended this person have been satisfied sellers or buyers. For me I was really neither, just a person that requested information.

If the ad was on Tug and remained on the site after I as told it was not available I would report it to Tug as rules to me are clear.

No actual harms was done to me. It just rubs me the wrong way the ad remains. There is a possibility that the site it is posted on only charges once for as long as a listing remains. If the person removed it they might have to pay if they posted the same a month later. The week I was looking for was a summer flex and that might become available more often.

I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt I might have as to write something negative about someone to me is to damage their reputation. I must be sure the intent was to harm or they just did a bad job.

Bottom line, I have two high demand weeks that I will be selling and this agent will not get the listing so the agent hurt themself with this approach in listings.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Just finishing ads.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I see several of these in the TUG Marketplace for SVV listings. I think they use them to hook you and then go out and try to find what you want. Not sure it makes sense to me. I now know who these brokers are and just skip over their listings.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I see several of these in the TUG Marketplace for SVV listings. I think they use them to hook you and then go out and try to find what you want. Not sure it makes sense to me. I now know who these brokers are and just skip over their listings.
Echino picked up a WKV one bedroom platinum on eBay for 50 bucks with closing. If it’s legit I think that’s the score of the century.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Echino picked up a WKV one bedroom platinum on eBay for 50 bucks with closing. If it’s legit I think that’s the score of the century.

I doubt it's legit, but I am curious. No correspondence from the seller so far.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I doubt it's legit, but I am curious. No correspondence from the seller so far.
Not shocked! Lol. Unless they have no idea what they hold, who knows.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’ve picked up WKV Gold Plus for $1 and it was legit. So it’s possible.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’ve picked up WKV for $1 and it was legit. So it’s possible.
A platinum week? Those usually go for 6K. The shoulder weeks yes. I was going to pick one up for nothing. The seller said points didn’t come with the purchase then sent me information that stated SVV Amelia condominiums on it with a different week and unit number. Was very confusing