• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Boca? JLB? Big Cedar Week AFTER Thanksgiving?

In The Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby changed jobs within the company this year and it messed up our vacation plans (luckily we hadn't booked anything), and then they got changed again, so now we're going "at the last minute". . . . right after Thanksgiving so I picked up an RCI "Last Call" on a studio at Bluegreen Wilderness Club at Big Cedar.

We literally "stumbled" upon the resort a couple of years ago while on an Ozark sightseeing trip and had our tongues hanging out with it's beauty, so we're very excited to be booked there, but need to know what there is to do at that time of year? I know the weather will be at best cool,and possibly "cooler"! so I'm guessing lake and pool activities are out. We're not the "Branson Type", although we may suck it up and try Jim Stafford's show.... waddya think?

We've been to Eureka Springs, and the Passon Play, twice. Silver Dollar City is probably a go. What is the "Dogwood Canyon Tour", and "Ozark Mountain Christmas"? Anything else we should look into?

Since we have 3 weeks from booking to arrival, I don't have a lot of time to research, so your advice would be greatly appreciated!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're coming right in the middle of 'Christmas in the Ozarks'. That's just the overall theme for Branson during that time of year. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate for you.

Dogwood Canyon is a scenic walking/biking/tram park... probably won't work, due to weather at that time of year. Perhaps you'll be fortunate.

Silver Dollar City is all decked out for Christmas. Be careful, one of the worst experiences I've ever had was freezing and waiting in long lines during Thanksgiving week at SDC. If you're coming back to Branson next year also, then you may be able to purchase a SDC season pass that is good for Christmas this year, and then all of next year also. That's the way we've done it.

There are also tons of music shows available and most will have a Christmas theme. You could even do the Branson Belle Showboat since you could stay inside.

You may be interested in taking the train that travels through the Ozarks - Scenic Railways. And then there's always shopping at the Outlet Malls or the Branson Landing.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
We go to Branson often during Thanksgiving week and eveything is lit up and going strong for the Christmas Season until mid December. Big Cedar has lots to do on the resort. They have a nice indoor pool and a whirlpool just outside so plan on little swimming if you like. There is also a mini golf too.

Here's some pics of Big Cedar:

http://picasaweb.google.com/EHophop8
http://hophop4.shutterfly.com

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
here are the benefits you get when you purchase the season pass early...

http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/tickets/pass-season-ww-sdc.aspx

By the way, in case everyone hasn't heard... Celebration City has announced they are closing down for good. I think it may have been mentioned here earlier, but just in case. It's kind of funny though, because they didn't lower the price of the 'All in one' pass at all!

Last edited:

dwsupt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dogwood Canyon

We are going to Branson over Thanksgiving. I read somewhere that Dogwood Canyon was closed so that they can clean up from the flooding this summer. You might want to check before driving or making plans. The shows are great this time of year. :cheer: you just have to make your fun.:whoopie:

SunSand

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second "SIX", a very talented singing group that would command $100. tickets in Vegas. Even my teenager loved the show.

In The Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Maybe we'll check out "Six" instead of Jim Stafford. I really don't think we can handle two Branson shows.

What I was really looking for though was suggestions on what ELSE to do in the area. I'm thinking that the first week of December will probably not find us in the pool or lazy river much. We're not the hiker type, more sightseeing or less active type of entertainment, SDC is fine, maybe some caves, etc..... anything else?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marla,

I've thought about it a little more... at that time of year, there's not a whole lot else. I'm sure if you found a Branson events calendar somewhere there would probably be a few more options. I don't know if Dogwood Canyon is open (based on what the previous post mentioned), but if it is open I'd recommend it even for the non-hiking types. What about trout fishing or horseback riding?

In The Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ace. From all the research I've done, it does sound like not much to "do" at that time of year. I do hope Dogwood Canyon is open; I've seen mixed reports. I guess we'll just have to enjoy the resort and the pretty views and just "chillin'" away from the Houston Rat Race!

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Branson (were there the last week of October) and hadn't considered ourselves the Branson type either. We were surprised how much we enjoyed our week there! We saw "Six" and "Jim Stafford" and actually would have gone to 5 more shows if they had been open (they were off due to the Christmas show season about to start).

Branson offers quite a diversity in their entertainment . . you would be surprised how much you would enjoy the shows. People were very friendly (and this is from someone in VA who is used to southern friendliness) and all took their time to visit and make one feel welcome.

I would also recommend Mel's Hard Luck Dinner for Lunch - the waiters, waitresses, and even the cooks take turns singing and they are great! Makes for a fun and entertaining lunch.

We had such a good time we plan to go back in a year or two . . hope you have the same experience . .

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ace. From all the research I've done, it does sound like not much to "do" at that time of year. I do hope Dogwood Canyon is open; I've seen mixed reports. I guess we'll just have to enjoy the resort and the pretty views and just "chillin'" away from the Houston Rat Race!

Marla,

I've found a link to an event calendar...

http://www.branson-missouri.com/calendar.asp

As far as 'not much to do'... that time of year can be just as busy as the peak summer periods. Plenty of people come for the Christmas activities. It all depends on what you like to do. If you see a show you like already, the earlier you order tickets the better your seats will be.

Also, the Branson Landing will have shopping and other activites and I would recommend you seeing that (make sure the weather is halfway decent).

http://www.bransonlanding.com/special_events.html

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
Yes, all the Christmas Shows will be in full swing. We usually do about 3 sometimes 4 shows, some shopping, driving around looking at the Christmas Lights and spending time at the Resort's Indoor Heated Pool and ....puff...the week is gone!!

I second the show SIX, we enjoyed it too.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew he was posting over there (and not here)... I didn't know the cause.

He's always provided a 'wealth' of knowledge about the Branson area and other topics... and know that he's always gone out of his way to help people in need.