• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bluegreen announced upcoming changes to guest certs

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
https://www.bluegreenowner.com/Search/FAQ/Guest-Certificate-Program
$99 after your allotted included certs up to 20 max per year and in addition a $50 expedition fee if you add a guest cert within 30 days of check in whether you are using a free one or not.

guest certificate program
What is the Guest Certificate Program?
The Guest Certificate Program is being implemented to manage name changes on reservations. Our goal is to protect the exclusivity of inventory for Owners within the Vacation Club while still allowing for flexibility of your account usage for family and friends.

Why is the Guest Certificate Program being implemented?
To safeguard your access to the Bluegreen Vacation Club, we are implementing this program to reduce owner-lead commercial rental activity that is on the rise. These new checks will hinder further abuse of owner privileges without negatively impacting typical reservation behavior. Additionally, this program strengthens our non-owner guest identification from reservation through arrival which is important for the safety and security when you stay with us.

How many guest certificates will I receive each year?
Guest certificate allotments have been tiered based on ownership levels as follows:

Foundation: 2 free certificates
Bronze: 4 free certificates
Silver: 5 free certificates
Gold: 6 free certificates
Platinum: 7 free certificates
After the above certificate threshold is used, additional certificates can be purchased.
What if I run out of guest certificates?
Additional guest certificates can be purchased for $99.00 per certificate with a maximum of 20 per calendar year. If the guest certificate is being used within 30 days of check-in, there will be an expedited fee in the amount of $50.00. The expedited fee is applicable regardless if you are using one of the free allotments or purchasing one.

How does this impact existing reservations?
Existing reservations that remain unchanged are not impacted by your Guest Certificate allotment. If you need to change the name on an existing reservation after the program is live, it will utilize a guest certificate and be deducted from your allotment.

If I cancel my reservation, will my guest certificate be returned?
Once a guest certificate is applied to a reservation it expires. If you cancel a reservation that utilized a guest certificate, your guest certificate will not be credited back to your Bluegreen account.

When will this go into effect?
This exact program launch date is still being determined. Updates will be provided via email and on bluegreenowner.com.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
...I love how salespeople repeatedly tell you to "buy more points and just rent out stays to cover your maintenance fees" meanwhile management is now effectively banning that option. With their "20 guest certs max", this appears to be aimed at the commercial rental people but I foresee them enforcing this on everyone, especially with the recent affidavit threats I've seen thrown around.

Even more concerning and annoying is their changes to the points protection plan – increasing the price by $10 and moving the cancellation window out to 72 hours prior to the check-in date. They're already the most restrictive timeshare I own when it comes to cancellations and now they're making it more expensive and more restrictive... mind-boggling.

xzhan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
I look at this as can potentially be beneficial to average BG owners. Commercial rental at popular resorts by a few mega owners is a problem for regular owners in terms of availability. In addition, guest certificate has been used in other point programs such as Worldmark and Wyndham for a few years. In comparison, the number of free guest certificate BG allows members is relatively generous. For example, Worldmark members only get 1 free GC for 10,000 points, which is roughly one 2 br red week. For BG, you would get at least 2 maybe 4. It should be sufficient for the vast majority of owners who rent out some or even all of their points, except the maga owners.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I look at this as can potentially be beneficial to average BG owners. Commercial rental at popular resorts by a few mega owners is a problem for regular owners in terms of availability. In addition, guest certificate has been used in other point programs such as Worldmark and Wyndham for a few years. In comparison, the number of free guest certificate BG allows members is relatively generous. For example, Worldmark members only get 1 free GC for 10,000 points, which is roughly one 2 br red week. For BG, you would get at least 2 maybe 4. It should be sufficient for the vast majority of owners who rent out some or even all of their points, except the maga owners.
It won't really impact mega renters. The new fee will just cut into their margin and make BG more money. BG now gets a share of their profit.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
It won't really impact mega renters.

Until (since they seem to be following Wyndham's example) they introduce "Owner Priority Time" and only allow you to use 2 guest certificates per year during times you are not travelling with the guest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Until (since they seem to be following Wyndham's example) they introduce "Owner Priority Time" and only allow you to use 2 guest certificates per year during times you are not travelling with the guest.
True, but for right now the current change won't do much. Does BG have as big of a mega renter problem as Wyndham did/does?

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
True, but for right now the current change won't do much. Does BG have as big of a mega renter problem as Wyndham did/does?

If I had to hazard a guess, maybe for a couple of resorts such as Big Cedar in the summer or Hammocks and Solara in the snowbird season.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think it is going to hurt a lot of regular owners that try to get rid of their leftovers. The system is set up with a base fee that makes the more points you own the less per point you pay. So a lot of owners bought excess points, not to become a mega renter but to bring down their own cost and then rent the excess at and sometimes below cost if they didn't plan well. $150-$400 rentals of fairly small chunks of points are common between owners. Mega rentals can just easily adjust to those hard to get full weeks or longer and add in the of the certs.

xzhan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
I kind of doubt many owners with <15,000 points would have enough points left to rent out more than 2 reservations after their own usage. It'd be more of a problem for those who routinely let other family members to use their points.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This reminds many years ago when Bluegreen took away bonus time from non vacation club owners and so many people got on the various sites and said how good this was for owners. Shortly thereafter, resale value went in the basement. I recently had to rent our two weeks, due to my husbands illness and death. Very difficult to cover my maintenance fees let alone pay for extra fees.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I kind of doubt many owners with <15,000 points would have enough points left to rent out more than 2 reservations after their own usage. It'd be more of a problem for those who routinely let other family members to use their points.
The 2 rentals I did this year from an owner were a 1050 point one and a 1250 point one.

WManning

Reaction score
It won't really impact mega renters. The new fee will just cut into their margin and make BG more money. BG now gets a share of their profit.
Follow the money trail. It's like Uncle Sam no way to not pay the tax man.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It adds a little bit of friction, but not enough to really deter anyone. At most it will encourage renters to focus on higher-value rentals to soften the blow—and it’s not clear that’s actually helpful to owners.

As mentioned above, the moves that have really put a dent in renting have been much more drastic than this.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
The lack of guest certs is one reason I chose Bg.

Mega renters no longer have an advantage to get reservations over us small pts owners since they straightened out the waitlist where they don't fill them until the 11 month mark.

I only have 11,000 pts but make short stay reservations and my friends often get there before me so for them to check in I have to use a guest cert, and if we finalize plans within 30 days and I have to make a change I have to pay an extra $50.

This is not helpful to me at all. And it hurts on the other end when I'd like to rent a reservation or two from those who bought retail on the advice of sales to rent out the excess.

This is just another money grab that will not stop the mega renters at all and will hurt the rest of us

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It adds a little bit of friction, but not enough to really deter anyone. At most it will encourage renters to focus on higher-value rentals to soften the blow—and it’s not clear that’s actually helpful to owners.

As mentioned above, the moves that have really put a dent in renting have been much more drastic than this.
The 20 guest paid guest certs total will hurt mega renters but the $99 and $50 fee will hurt more regular owners. And by hurt, since they are small owners the hurt will be $50-$500 per year but for some that is a real hurt over the already fairly high cost of MF''s.

xzhan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I’m not sure how many owners routinely use more that two guest reservations in a year.
That's what I thought too, especially for owners with <15,000 pts. Upon 2nd thought, I think it might significantly hurt owners who bought large amount of resale points thus didn't qualify as premier members. Will they only get 2 GC? If they bought to rent out or let friends and family use, it would hurt a lot.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
...I love how salespeople repeatedly tell you to "buy more points and just rent out stays to cover your maintenance fees" meanwhile management is now effectively banning that option. With their "20 guest certs max", this appears to be aimed at the commercial rental people but I foresee them enforcing this on everyone, especially with the recent affidavit threats I've seen thrown around.

Even more concerning and annoying is their changes to the points protection plan – increasing the price by $10 and moving the cancellation window out to 72 hours prior to the check-in date. They're already the most restrictive timeshare I own when it comes to cancellations and now they're making it more expensive and more restrictive... mind-boggling.
They aren't even close to as restrictive as our Hyatt and Marriott - those you have to cancel 30-60 days out depending if using points or weeks and whether you want your points to be in a penalty (holding account). I too liked being able to cancel up until the check in hour - but honestly never had to do that. And what was happening was people would cancel so late that no on else could book that room last minute so it sat vacant.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am having a memorial for my husband at Bluegreen Christmas mountain. A friend of my daughters let us book two three bedroom townhouses, two nights each. Each was two thousand points. So there is his two gift certificates if. The new rule was already in effect.

MasterDisaster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen
There is a board meeting vote soon I noticed when I logged in. I wonder if we can vote this Guest Cert idea out with the right person up for election? Although, I don't know. Maybe the idea is to keep the rentals going and for the main company to make money on rentals ... and stay afloat to build more properties? I guess if I get 4 certificates, that is fine for a few rentals, but what if my family is signing in?

I think there should be a "close family" option where we can list our extended family ... perhaps 5 to 8 people ... who get free/discounted "Guest Certificates." Otherwise, they are hurting the big family/friends who aren't renting.

Maybe I should call up Big Cedar and tell them that their Timeshare partner is ruining things for the Big Families that they were marketing to.

Wingo99

Reaction score
More and more reasons I'm so relieved I was able to rescind.