• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Blackberry Storm Anyone?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Does anyone own one yet? If so, what do you think?

I've struggled with three Palm Treos and have been waiting for Blackberry to come out with a touch screen. I'm tempted to buy it but may wait to be sure all the "bugs" get worked out first.

Last edited:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pry my Palm Treo from my hand - NEVER

Does anyone own one yet? If so, what do you think?

I've struggled with three Palm Treos and have been waiting for Blackberry to come out with a touch screen. I'm tempted to buy it but may wait to be sure all the "bugs" get worked out first.

What problems have you had with the Treo? I have had 600, 650, 700 & 755 = the last being the bset - and only want the 800 to be available in Palm OS rather than the pokey, clunky Windows mess they offer now. Shouldn't be too much longer for that I hear.

The Blackberry Storm (see story) isn't getting high marks compared to IPhone OR Treo. It seems too large, rather clunky and needs a real keyboard in addition to the touch screen as the Treo has always offered. I'd avoid it for now and as long as Palm keeps upgrading the Treo line - forever.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Storm

Do you mean the Blackberry Storm sold through Verizon?

Charles

Yikes. Yes, Storm. What was I thinking? Obviously, I wasn't.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm

What problems have you had with the Treo? I have had 600, 650, 700 & 755 = the last being the bset - and only want the 800 to be available in Palm OS rather than the pokey, clunky Windows mess they offer now. Shouldn't be too much longer for that I hear.

The Blackberry Storm (see story) isn't getting high marks compared to IPhone OR Treo. It seems too large, rather clunky and needs a real keyboard in addition to the touch screen as the Treo has always offered. I'd avoid it for now and as long as Palm keeps upgrading the Treo line - forever.

I've had the 700p and now the 755p. They had to give me one new 700p and two refurbished ones. The 755 has been better but I still have to reset it more than I should. Locking up has been my problem.

I've spent hours on tech support. They finally told me to remove third party software...even the software provided by Verizon! I did take Bejeweled off completely and it's helped the lockups. They told me not to put pictures on my frequent contacts, a feature I like! So here they are offering all these features and provide third party software and links to buy more and then tech support tells you not to use them!!! Go figure.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I carry a 755p running Palm OS and I love it.

Every now and again it requires resetting and sometimes it goes into what I call the "think mode", where I tell it to do something (like hang up a call) and it just sits there unresponsive until it's done with it's backround task...which can range from a few to 30 seconds. Usually it's when I have a critical need. :wall:

I chose the Palm OS as I've been carrying a Palm PDA for more than 10 years and have many 3rd party applications I utilize, all of which run without issue on the 755p. I don't however have games or music on mine.

It's my swiss army knife for data communication, and as I noted in several other threads it doubles as a broadband modem for my laptop with the connecting sync cable which is invaluable when on the road. Speeds were good enough in West Maui that I could watch TV using a slingbox we have at work in LA to see live local coverage of the fires 10 days ago.

All in all, it's a great little device.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mrs

I carry a 755p running Palm OS and I love it.

Every now and again it requires resetting and sometimes it goes into what I call the "think mode", where I tell it to do something (like hang up a call) and it just sits there unresponsive until it's done with it's backround task...which can range from a few to 30 seconds. Usually it's when I have a critical need. :wall:

I chose the Palm OS as I've been carrying a Palm PDA for more than 10 years and have many 3rd party applications I utilize, all of which run without issue on the 755p. I don't however have games or music on mine.

It's my swiss army knife for data communication, and as I noted in several other threads it doubles as a broadband modem for my laptop with the connecting sync cable which is invaluable when on the road. Speeds were good enough in West Maui that I could watch TV using a slingbox we have at work in LA to see live local coverage of the fires 10 days ago.

All in all, it's a great little device.

KEMcA: YES! EXACTLY. The hang up "button" is often unresponsive. I also miss calls with no record of having missed them. I assume someone called just when it was doing something in the background. Frustrating.

Quite often mine just reboots itself right when I need it too. Or locks up on me and I have to reset it.

I don't have music or audio books. Gave up on that with the first 700p.
The only game I have now is the Solitaire provided by Verizon.

I too have been a long time Palm PDA user and so have kept trying with the Treos. I'm about ready to give up though I haven't yet found a better alternative. I'd love an iPhone but don't want AT&T....so maybe someday the Blackberry...

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got our Storms yesterday. Last night actually and then went to dinner. I read my Kindle while DH, GS & DD played with their phones. GS already navigates his really well and says it is "awesome" and I'm putting in the CD to learn when I'm done all my usual sites. Will let you know, L

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enjoy

Got our Storms yesterday. Last night actually and then went to dinner. I read my Kindle while DH, GS & DD played with their phones. GS already navigates his really well and says it is "awesome" and I'm putting in the CD to learn when I'm done all my usual sites. Will let you know, L

Looking forward to hearing how you like it! Enjoy it!

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

dfjkl

Reaction score
I have a co-worker that has a Storm, played with it a bit. I wanted an iPhone but ATT coverage in our area is not good. Now that I have seen the Storm though, no longer do I care much. I want a Storm!

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't learned everything yet but really like the clarity of the phone - voices come through really really well and it feels good in my hand. I'm having fun exploring!

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Maybe it's time to rebuy into RIM stock? I sold months ago at about $122 and made a nice profit...one of very few over the last year. The Storm might be its saviour, but I think I'll wait for the reviews as there has always been such a 'romance' with Apple products.

Brian

I have a co-worker that has a Storm, played with it a bit. I wanted an iPhone but ATT coverage in our area is not good. Now that I have seen the Storm though, no longer do I care much. I want a Storm!

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why give up what we already have to wait for improvements that may never come?

Seems to jive with everything I've read and experienced by testing one at Verizon. Just giving up all my Palm third party apps is reason enough I wouldn't switch PLUS its larger than my 755p anyway. Less features, less speed, less programs more weight - hmm, does that sound like a good move to make?

When someone other than Palm offers a dedicated keyboard and touch screen, 10 thousand plus applications including my Sling Player for free live TV, MP3 player, time and contact management, GPS (TomTom), live email & web, movie player and a great phone in one 4 oz package MAYBE I'll consider it over a new Palm. But as of today nothing - not any model of Blackberry, I-Phone or any of the many other brands offer even 2/3 of that total lineup. It took me years to get it all onto one reliable network (Verizon) and device (Treo) so I'm not going to leave either without really good reason. The Blackberry line sure isn't it.