• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Black Friday Shopping -- on Thursday?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There are some really good "Black Friday" deals...
I scored a Dell laptop with 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Touch Screen for $300.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff online from Office Depot & Sears.
It's nice that stores are now letting us do our Black Friday shopping in PJ's.

That said, I find it unconscionable for the sales to start on Thanksgiving.
True, we'd otherwise have nothing else much to do, but stare at family.

IMHO, starting Black Friday on Thanksgiving dilutes the purpose of both.
Is it really Black Friday when we can finish our shopping on Thursday?

[soapbox/off]

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand boxing day much better. Discount everything a few days before and after Christmas. Why offer or say that you are offering the best discounts a month before Christmas? People are buying a lot now as it is.

I also do not understand how tomorrow is not a holiday. Or why Thanksgiving is celebrated so close to Christmas.

But I prefer to do any shopping online than in a store. Especially on the biggest shopping day of the year.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I do my shopping on line.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When looking for electronics, I tend to do a certain amount of "showrooming," where you view the item in a brick and mortar store, then go home and order it online from a lower-priced vendor. If it's the same item with the same warranty that I don't need today, I'd rather save a few bucks.

That said, this year I haven't found anything on sale for Black Friday that is a "must have" for my shopping list. I've bought several items, (Costco.com and Amazon) but I can't tell you if it was a Black Friday deal or not. I got the items I was after, and feel like I got a good price. That's good enough for me.

And I was THIS CLOSE to getting a Bag O' Crap during today's Woot Off, but they pulled it out of my shopping cart as I was paying for it. Not sure what was up with that, but it stinks. LOL!

Dave

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm heading to Best Buy in a half an hour. They opened at 6 am today, but I'm long past lining up pre-dawn to save a dollar or two!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Well, I'm heading to Best Buy in a half an hour. They opened at 6 am today, but I'm long past lining up pre-dawn to save a dollar or two!

Yesterday at Best Buy, the line was 400-500 peep long before opening. It stretched past Pet Smart, Tuesday Morning, Trader Joe's and Michael's. Employees handed out maps and tickets for high demand items. I was almost disappointed to be in + out of the store in less than 15 minutes.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday at Best Buy, the line was 400-500 peep long before opening. It stretched past Pet Smart, Tuesday Morning, Trader Joe's and Michael's. Employees handed out maps and tickets for high demand items. I was almost disappointed to be in + out of the store in less than 15 minutes.

Back from a successful trip to Best Buy and another outing. Got there early afternoon and it was no busier than a usual Saturday. Played Pickleball this afternoon with a fellow who had lined up at 5:45 am this morning to get in for 6 am and he said it wasn't worth getting up that early for the deals. Never did ask what he went for but he said that's the last time he lines up for any electronics! Lots of big screen TV's were going out on trolleys!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing for sure is a lot of people have money to spend.

Or credit cards to put those purchases on.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Wal-Mart's being open from early Thanksgiving morning clear til 10pm Friday night was unconscionable. Understandable given how they treat employees. Sorry, they'll miss me. I'd rather pay local merchants.

Jim

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Wal-Mart's being open from early Thanksgiving morning clear til 10pm Friday night was unconscionable. Understandable given how they treat employees. Sorry, they'll miss me. I'd rather pay local merchants.

Jim

Is it Walmart or is it what the people want or government allows? Lets all agree Walmart wants to make as much money as they possible.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We don't do any shopping at all on the Thanksgiving weekend from Thursday to Sunday. I do all my shopping online, mostly at Amazon. I haven't been in a bricks and mortar store for years.

Actually the busiest shopping day of the year is the last Saturday before Christmas. I saw that on the business news the other day.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My Wal=mart is open 24/7 till sometime after Christmas. They used to be open all the time for many years, but started closing from midnight to 6 am a few months ago.

Fern

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are some really good "Black Friday" deals...
I scored a Dell laptop with 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, Touch Screen for $300.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff online from Office Depot & Sears.
It's nice that stores are now letting us do our Black Friday shopping in PJ's.

That said, I find it unconscionable for the sales to start on Thanksgiving.
True, we'd otherwise have nothing else much to do, but stare at family.

IMHO, starting Black Friday on Thanksgiving dilutes the purpose of both.
Is it really Black Friday when we can finish our shopping on Thursday?

[soapbox/off]

While you find it unconscionable, you had no problem supporting it by buying products on Thursday evening. If you want to effect change, don't support it. In the end, it is the customers that drive everything. If customers didn't come to shot on Thursday, the stores wouldn't be open.

Or do people come only because they are open. If they weren't open the customers wouldn't be there. Kind of the chicken or the egg.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My spouse works for Costco, and usually dreads Black Friday crowds. Even though Costco didn't open till 9 this morning, (they're not open on Thanksgiving, thank goodness), the crowds that came in I'm told were the usual Friday shoppers. There was no mad rush for anything, and in fact, the managers started cutting staff loose early, if they wanted to go home. Spouse got home after working only a half day, and I'd taken the day off. Easy, breezy day at our house. :)

Unadvertised Black Friday score at Costco: Their awesome pork loin is normally more than $15, depending on size. They were overstocked, and had them today for $10 off the marked price. We got one for less than five bucks. Yum!

Dave