• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

biking in Hilton Head

Bill4728

Reaction score
Hi

We'll be in Hilton Head in mid March Staying at Barony We'd like to bike most days

Anyone have an idea about getting bikes, helmets ect? Does the resort have bikes?

TIA

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All of the Hilton Head Marriotts have bike rentals. Or you can rent from a local shop and have them delivered to your resort.... very reasonable rates.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

We'll be in Hilton Head in mid March Staying at Barony We'd like to bike most days

Anyone have an idea about getting bikes, helmets ect? Does the resort have bikes?

TIA

Bicycle rentals are plentiful all over the island. You will definitely save some $$$ if you rent them anywhere other than from Marriott. Clearly not as convenient as Marriott.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their are some advantage of rental from Marriott’s; their bikes are on sites you can select the bike of your choice, they have a bike mechanic onsite, if something is wrong just take it back to the bike shop and they will fix it or give you another bike right then. Plus, you are earning points.IMO.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you shop around you may be able to save a few bucks. I usually don't unless I need a specialty bike that Marriott doesn't have. One of my family members has terrible balance so prefers a trike for the extra stability.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My business partner and I had a couple of days between trade shows in November so decided to stay in Hilton Head. Our full day there was beautiful and we bicycled on the beach for 9 miles, then back through the gated part that we entered from the shore. It was 70 degrees and just great. The next day the temp dropped at least 15 degrees. We got bikes from the hotel, $20/day I think, but when we returned them and went to the booth to pay, no one was there, and they never came back. I guess they were comping us.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their are some advantage of rental from Marriott’s; their bikes are on sites you can select the bike of your choice, they have a bike mechanic onsite, if something is wrong just take it back to the bike shop and they will fix it or give you another bike right then. Plus, you are earning points.IMO.
Plus at Grande Ocean they will give you a Bike Sea Pines pass which they usually won't (though sometimes will) if you don't rent from them. We've rented from Marriott and off site, going forward we'll likely rent from Marriott due to the convenience but off site worked well also and in some cases, had better bikes.

Bernie8245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Marriott Grande Ocean for the month of January this year and got a monthly rate for a bike rental of $45 each. We could have rented bikes for $35 each for the month from Sharky's but like Dean said we rented from Grande Ocean because of the convenience and the Sea Pines pass.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I reserved three bikes from Low Sea Bike, Beach and Baby Rental for a week and it’s costing me $57 total for the week I will be at Grand Ocean in June. I thought that was a very good deal. They were referred to me by one of the Facebook groups.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
What is the "Bike Sea Pines pass " we're staying at Barony if that makes a difference.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the "Bike Sea Pines pass " we're staying at Barony if that makes a difference.

Sea Pines is an area in the Southeast part of Hilton Head. It is an exclusive type of area. Marriott Monarch is located in Sea Pines.

If driving, you need to pay a fee to get thru the gate, but I always thought bicycles and pedestrians could pass thru at no charge.

Maybe someone can clarify whether or not bicycles must pay a fee to ride in Sea Pines.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I don’t believe they allow bike access into Sea Pines without the pass and I believe you can only get the pass from resorts inside Sea Pines as well as Grande Ocean. No pass, you can’t even pay to ride a bike in. Can pay to bring in a bike ON a car. I believe they are trying to control the number of bikes on the trails inside Sea Pines.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
We have used Low Seas Bike Rental several times and have been pleased with their service and $18 for the week is hard to beat. Marriotts doesn't allow any other companies to bring their bikes inside the resort so you will have to pick them up right outside the gate.
FebBike2020 at hiltonheadbikerental.com to receive a discount rate of $18 per bike for 2 or more bike rentals.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used Low Seas Bike Rental several times and have been pleased with their service and $18 for the week is hard to beat. Marriotts doesn't allow any other companies to bring their bikes inside the resort so you will have to pick them up right outside the gate.
FebBike2020 at hiltonheadbikerental.com to receive a discount rate of $18 per bike for 2 or more bike rentals.

$18 per bike is an excellent weekly rate!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a bike path Map

Attachments

• BikePathBrochure.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 74

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe they allow bike access into Sea Pines without the pass and I believe you can only get the pass from resorts inside Sea Pines as well as Grande Ocean. No pass, you can’t even pay to ride a bike in. Can pay to bring in a bike ON a car. I believe they are trying to control the number of bikes on the trails inside Sea Pines.
Correct and it's a separate pass from the car pass so just buying a car pass won't get you in with bikes unless you take them in by car. From Barony it's not likely an issue as most aren't going to go that far then explore Sea Pines but some avid bikers might. Also, based on past experience, MGO only gets so many passes so even renting from them midweek you might not get one. I've seen them give passes out even if you didn't rent from them, esp if you bring your own bikes, but they made it clear this was something they did on a limited basis. I do not know if other Marriotts give a bike pass but I would not be surprised if those inside sea pines do and the rest do not.

On a pass side note, you have to have a pass (or pay) to get inside Sea Pines even if staying at a resort there. I asked Heritage about this and there didn't seem to be a way around it on their end. Fortunately we were at GO starting the next day (10 units) so I picked up a pass a day early to get us in which I appreciate them doing.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get into Sea Pines to ride inside the plantation if you enter from the beach. Or so I've been told....

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On a pass side note, you have to have a pass (or pay) to get inside Sea Pines even if staying at a resort there. I asked Heritage about this and there didn't seem to be a way around it on their end. Fortunately we were at GO starting the next day (10 units) so I picked up a pass a day early to get us in which I appreciate them doing.

I thought they began issuing passes at the sales center outside Sea Pines for those at Sea Pines resorts

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They did not last summer but it could have changed. Calling and asking the MVC resorts inside the plantation might give a more definite answer that's up to date.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a bike rider and a resident, let me warn you to be careful. Cars generally have the right of way at cross streets. Riders have been killed over the last few years. Be especially careful if you are going to cross 278/William Hinton Parkway. Riding at night is not advised because of how dark it is on the Island.

Phillie

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Hilton Head cars have the right of way but if you are at a light there are little problems, the issue I see the most is inside Sea Pines. There are not lights, street or night-time ones, there are stop signs as a biker you are to stop but no one ever does. In the off season like now not much problem. In the summer that is whole another story as the local don't stop, the non-locals sometimes do. The non-local bikers don't know the rules even though every bike rental place warns them and provides documents with the trails. As for passes you can get a car pass if an owner calls one in which those can be picked up outside the main gate. You can pay for a car pass, even with bikes on top, at either beach or main gate. Bike passes are only given by MGO and the inside resorts. There is a key pad chain link fence at beach gate preventing you. The guards will ask you to see the pass or see if you know the code which changes about once a week. You may ask how do I know? I own at MGO and I own a home in sea pines near the beach gate. Enjoy my favorite place on earth and hopeful to retire there walking the beaches and biking!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big reason we owned at Monarch in Sea Pines was to be able to take advantage of their bike trails, the beach, golf and to avoid the hassle of getting non-resident bike passes...

George

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stay at Barony all the time. I believe rentals onsite are $35 for the week. You literally walk over to the bike centre on the grounds. You can put the fee on you room so you don't need cash or card. You can keep the bike parked right in front of your room locked up and use it whenever you feel like it or multiple times per day. You just return it on your last day and you're good to go. Very easy.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
One nice thing about owning at Monarch is that the Sea Pines bike trail is right at the end of the driveway...

George

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Several posters have already offered helpful information regarding bike riding on Hilton Head Island. Bike rentals on Hilton Head Island are beach cruisers. I hesitated to post because you already have your reservation at Barony which is about 9 miles from the Sea Pines Ocean gate. That is a long ride sitting on the wide saddles of beach cruises. On one trip, we rode beach cruisers with backpacks from the airport to Monarch..and back to the airport. (We decided afterwards that the experience is one we could have not done and still had a full and rewarding life.) As others have said, you can’t get a bike inside Sea Pines unless you are staying at Grande Ocean or within Sea Pines. Staying at Barony or any ocean front Marriott on Hilton Head Island, you will have fantastic hard pack sand to ride on the beach. The paved bike path from Barony runs along highway 278 which is not a very interesting bike ride. If you like to bike ride, you are very likely to enjoy the bike paths in Sea Pines. You can experience Sea Pines bike paths by paying the $8 entry day fee and renting bikes for a day. The scenery along the paths, the Sea Pines Forest Preserve, Lawton Stables, the community garden plots and the tourist stops of Harbor Town and South Beach are all within riding distance once you are inside Sea Pines. Our first vacations to Hilton Head Island were outside Sea Pines. The other Marriott resorts on Hilton Head Island have their strengths and are favorites for many, but Sea Pines is the reason we go to Hilton Head. For the beach and ocean, bike riding and our other interests, Monarch (in Sea Pines) and Grande Ocean (car and bike passes into Sea Pines) are special.