• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island observatory tour operators?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Going to be on the Big Island next summer. Our group of four adults is considering booking a tour up Mauna Kea to “do” the observatory thing. Does anyone have firsthand experience with any particular tour operator, and have pro/con comments to share?

Normally, I’d just drive it, but I don’t want to have to pack heavy coats and such. ;)

Dave

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can’t help with operator, but strongly urge to go when the Moon is not out!!!

I have not made many, any at all maybe, it was the most “Holy Moly” view l have seen.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
After looking more into this, I think we’ll skip it. Not only will the moon be a factor, but the only tour I’m seeing charges nearly $250 per head for the trip. Not sure our group would want to spend $1000 for this.

Dave

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Because of the controversy with the thirty meter telescope, the road to the observatories as well as the visitor center have been closed. There are no tours and many tour operators have closed shop. It has been going on since July and we do not have any idea when, or if it will be resolved.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-controversy-over-the-thirty-meter-telescope/

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
And if you drive over the saddle watch your speed and seatbelts 5-0 has written over 500 tickets since they are stationed there to watch the protesters. There is a portable traffic light set up so they can cross the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And if you drive over the saddle watch your speed and seatbelts 5-0 has written over 500 tickets since they are stationed there to watch the protesters. There is a portable traffic light set up so they can cross the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! Good to know. We will be driving the Saddle Rd from Hilo back to Kona one of the days.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We were told to just drive to the top and bring our coat. We went on a nice day so it was an easy drive. We saw many tour operators with tourists way over-dressed in gear. I didn't think it was that cold the day we went. I drove a Dodge Charger and saw others in smaller cars like a Nisan Sentra. The gravel section of the road is an easy grade. All of the hard grades are paved.

The observatory was really cool. The moon did come out eventually and looking at the moon with a big telescope and having an astronomer present to explain what we were looking at was really cool.

The protests will likely be over by next year so maybe you can check it out if you want. If you do drive to the top and the car will not start it is likely because the gas tank can't vent. Pop the gas cap and burp the tank. This actually happened to us, lol.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Bill. I’ll keep my ears open about this.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Going to be on the Big Island next summer. Our group of four adults is considering booking a tour up Mauna Kea to “do” the observatory thing. Does anyone have firsthand experience with any particular tour operator, and have pro/con comments to share?

Normally, I’d just drive it, but I don’t want to have to pack heavy coats and such. ;)

Dave

We absolutely loved this tour:
https://maunakea.com/

They picked us up at the resort. We went up at sunset- omg- and then had a star gazing. Yes- we needed the heavy duty coats and gloves that they supplied. We went into Kona earlier and got some warmer clothes as well.

I put this on the most incredible experience we have ever had list. The money we spent was worth it.

Last edited:

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told to just drive to the top and bring our coat. We went on a nice day so it was an easy drive. We saw many tour operators with tourists way over-dressed in gear. I didn't think it was that cold the day we went. I drove a Dodge Charger and saw others in smaller cars like a Nisan Sentra. The gravel section of the road is an easy grade. All of the hard grades are paved.

The observatory was really cool. The moon did come out eventually and looking at the moon with a big telescope and having an astronomer present to explain what we were looking at was really cool.

The protests will likely be over by next year so maybe you can check it out if you want. If you do drive to the top and the car will not start it is likely because the gas tank can't vent. Pop the gas cap and burp the tank. This actually happened to us, lol.

Bill
My mechanical skills are nada, however, no matter how small the car is, I wouldn’t be able to lift it to my shoulder for a proper burping.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My mechanical skills are nada, however, no matter how small the car is, I wouldn’t be able to lift it to my shoulder for a proper burping.

lol. :D

Sometimes the vent in a gas tank will not vent properly because of a change in atmospheric pressure. This can cause the fuel to hydro-lock. Opening the gas cap equalizes the atmospheric pressure which is often called burping the tank.

Bill