• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island activities

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for volcano tours, island tours, snorkel boats, and activities for active teens and senior citizens. First time on the island. We have been going to Maui for 20 years. Thanks!

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Book a Manta Ray dive and snorkel Two-Step; past Captain Cook on the Big Island. If the seniors are fit and mobile; everyone jumps in from the lava rocks. No tour needed.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Book a Manta Ray dive and snorkel Two-Step; past Captain Cook on the Big Island. If the seniors are fit and mobile; everyone jumps in from the lava rocks. No tour needed.

My wife and a friend plan on doing the Manta Ray snorkel in May. shaka

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Where will you be staying? The Big Island is very big. You can easily spend a lot of time in the car trying to get to places you might enjoy seeing.

If you'll have a rental car, you won't need a volcano tour. Volcano National Park isn't very big, and there is basically one main road. Because of eruption activity, a lot of the parks side roads are closed, or have limited access.

About the only thing you might be interested in doing related to that, if the volcano is active when you're there, is a helicopter tour. But they can be expensive, so plan ahead.

Dave

DianeG

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI: If the volcano is erupting, then the National Park does not allow helicopter fly-overs usually.

Vacation Dreaming, where will you be staying and when? … so that I can give you better targeted recs.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI: If the volcano is erupting, then the National Park does not allow helicopter fly-overs usually.

Vacation Dreaming, where will you be staying and when? … so that I can give you better targeted recs.
Waikoloa Marriott, next summer. My in-laws decided to join us so I need to come up with some activities that appeal to everyone. My active teen boys like to hike, swim, snorkel etc. We will rent a large SUV for the 6 of us but I was thinking at least one day it would be nice to let someone else do the driving and get a formal tour since it is our first visit. I do not want a helicopter tour but would like to learn about the volcano and are there hiking paths like Haleakala? The other days I thought we might just check out some beaches.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You can probably find out all of the information you need on the website for Volcano National Park website. That will tell you what kind of activity is going on. It should also give you ideas of hiking areas. I know there is hiking in the park, we've just never done it.

On several visits we took a snorkel trip with Fair-Wind and enjoyed that a lot.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I 2nd the manta ray dive and snorkel at captain cook and 2 step.

We also did a Vanilla farm tour that included lunch and we really enjoyed it

pacman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend the beaches in the 1/2 hour vicinity. Great beaches. We've also done this chocolate farm tour, which was good.

Also the Greenwell Farms Coffee Farm tour (free) is worthwhile

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
You can wave at the farm on your way to Two Step.

Everyone is going to want to see the volcano. But they have closed off the best viewing location. And even if you wake up at oh-dark-thirty, all you're going to see is the glow from the lava in the crater. I've walked several miles in the dark recently and could find no place to see actual lava pools in the crater. My friends were unbelievably disappointed. "We woke up in the middle of the night and drove for hours -- for this?"

Next time I go there I'm bringing "adhesive on a stick" and cleaning up all the money that idiot tourists toss into the steam vents, right next to the sign which reads, "please don't pollute these steam vents by tossing money into them." A few months ago, I counted about $100 in small bills.

If your boys are fit, they will absolutely love the Captain Cook trail to Kealakekua Bay and the Captain Cook Monument. It's 0.8 miles. But it has significant elevation change. I've seen plenty of seniors hike the trail (I do it every couple weeks). But they're also the seniors who look like they'd enjoy an hour on a Stairmaster.

My farm is less than a mile from the trailhead. There isn't exactly "ample parking" there. But it's also the sort of place you can drop the boys off and then everyone else go do something less strenuous -- it'll be at least a few hours.

In the area around Captain Cook, I also recommend Kona Chips (best potato chips I've ever tasted), the Painted Church, the Greenwell Farms tour (a nicer coffee farm than mine), Kona Joe's (also a nicer coffee farm than mine), Puuhonua O Honaunau (city of refuge, next to Two Step).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Since you are at Waikoloa there is great snorkeling close by, no need to drive all the way to two step.

Mile Marker 87, Hualalai Four Seasons resort, ask for beach access at the guard shack, they will direct you to Kikaua Point. Only 25 passes, so it's very private and secluded. A nice swimming lagoon, tidepools, and snorkel out past the lava outcrop. Nice clean showers and flush toilet.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Waikoloa Marriott, next summer. My in-laws decided to join us so I need to come up with some activities that appeal to everyone. My active teen boys like to hike, swim, snorkel etc. We will rent a large SUV for the 6 of us but I was thinking at least one day it would be nice to let someone else do the driving and get a formal tour since it is our first visit. I do not want a helicopter tour but would like to learn about the volcano and are there hiking paths like Haleakala? The other days I thought we might just check out some beaches.

We have taken in a couple of age friendly activiites in the Kona Airport area. There is a Sea Horse Farm where you not only learn about Sea Horses but get the opportunity to touch them and have them curl up on your fingers. There is also an Octopus Farm also where you not only learn about Octopus but have some small Octopus grab and wrap around your by the lower arm; wear short or no sleeves!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For beach passes we are finding that you need to be there earlier than 9am. Also we had good luck one day around lunch time. Lots of people seemed to stay for the morning then pack up midday so it's another option if you can't get one earlier. Otherwise Hapuna is a good choice and I believe that it is $20 per car.

I recommend downloading and purchasing the Shaka Guide tours. No need to pay to do a tour unless you want someone else to do the driving. We really enjoyed the tour of Volcanoes NP on this trip. There are 5 different tours on this app, so it will help you get some ideas of places to visit.

We did a snorkel trip with an outfit we found on Groupon (we were meeting up with family who had already booked through them). It was fine and definitely affordable. It was not on a catamaran so it was a rougher ride so if sea sickness is an issue I'd look for something different.

vacation dreaming

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have narrowed down my wish list. Top goal is to spend a few hours at the volcano. We will be driving from Waikoloa. I get car sick and could never do Maui’s road to Hana. Which road should we take? I would like to also stop at the black sand beach. I found a tour group called Big Island VIP which offers a 3.5 hour “meet at the volcano” private tour with a National Park certified guide. Has anyone heard of them?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok so I have narrowed down my wish list. Top goal is to spend a few hours at the volcano. We will be driving from Waikoloa. I get car sick and could never do Maui’s road to Hana. Which road should we take? I would like to also stop at the black sand beach. I found a tour group called Big Island VIP which offers a 3.5 hour “meet at the volcano” private tour with a National Park certified guide. Has anyone heard of them?

According to Google Maps, from Waikoloa, the Saddle Road to Hilo, then back up the hill to the Volcano will be your best option. The Black Sand Beach is at Punalu'u. You're missing out on a tremendous amount of Big Island history and culture by going this way, but if car sickness is that big of an issue, this is about your only choice. See the map below.

Dave

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 11.32.17 AM.png

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
You will be 15 minutes from a small black sand beach:
Beach 49, Mauna Lani. Arrive early to get a visitor pass and wear shoes, the sand gets blistering hot. Good snorkeling there.

1670966283810.png

Attachments

• 1670966284062.png
    1670966284062.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 4

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
And Puako Beach for excellent snorkeling. About 10 minutes north from Marriott Waikoloa.

Last edited:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from four Hawaiian weeks. Spent Thanksgiving week on Big Island staying at Marriott Waikoloa Resort. Left 36 hours before Mauna Lia erupted. One thing we did new this trip was tour the Kona Abalone Farm. It's just a mile south of the airport and interesting if you like abalone and the ocean. Even samples at the end!
The Saddle Road is the fastest way across to Hilo and then on to Volcano. But the other way round us so beautiful!
The botanical gardens in Hilo are amazing.
And do many fun and tasty spots to enjoy.
No matter you will enjoy it all!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
We enjoyed Akaka Falls State Park - it's a bit north of Hilo. 4 mile loop with total elevation change of 0.4 miles, lots of it paved, beautiful foliage and views of two waterfalls.

And Akatsuka Orchids is a private business, but also well worth a stop IMO on the road from Volcano Park to Hilo. Vast and extensive variety of flowering orchids and other plants. They don't seem to mind gawkers. They will also ship, or you can buy small plants that are packaged to pass agricultural inspection at the airport.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max