• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island 05-20-23

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We are starting to get ready for our Big Island trip. We got a text to confirm our reservations from Moana Loa Village and from Hertz so we are all set there.

We received an email from Mokulele and our flight to Maui was canceled so we had to reschedule. We got changed to a flight 3 hours earlier so we will have to wait longer at the Maui Airport for our flight to the Big Island. We arrive in Kona at 1:37pm and our friends arrive from Wisconsin at 1:36pm. We originally planned to be there about an hour before they arrived but their flight was changed from arriving at 3pm to 1:36pm.

It's their first trip to the Big Island so we will be driving around the island a lot. The only real plans are a Manta Ray Snorkel, checking out the Volcano and grilling some dinner/relaxing.

I'll post pictures here as always, if your interested. shaka

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just left on Saturday. Sorry that we missed you. Enjoy the trip with your friends!

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
You will be on island for Honokaa Western Week:

The town of Honokaa is worth visiting and then take the opportunity to drive down to the Waipio Valley lookout. You will not be able to go into the valley but on a clear day, the views from the overlook are spectacular. I can highly recommend Gramma's Kitchen if you are there Wed-Sunday.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We just left on Saturday. Sorry that we missed you. Enjoy the trip with your friends!
That figures, one of these trips. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You will be on island for Honokaa Western Week:

The town of Honokaa is worth visiting and then take the opportunity to drive down to the Waipio Valley lookout. You will not be able to go into the valley but on a clear day, the views from the overlook are spectacular. I can highly recommend Gramma's Kitchen if you are there Wed-Sunday.

Mahalo. We'll check that out. We are staying 05-20 to 05-27. shaka

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Who are you using for the Manta Ray Trip? Several years ago we went out of Keauhou Bay. We greatly enjoyed the experience.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who are you using for the Manta Ray Trip? Several years ago we went out of Keauhou Bay. We greatly enjoyed the experience.
Manta Ray Dives of Hawaii, to Captain Cook, Kealakekua Bay. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At the Molokai Airport, just waiting to board. shaka

Then a long layover on Maui.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Arrived on Maui right on time. 25 minute flight and it was pretty smooth this morning.

We have 5 hours here because Mokulele canceled our flight last week and the only real option was this early flight.

We stopped at Sammy Hagurs for some breakfast and now only have 3 hours before we board. We found a seat by an outlet and we are charging our phones.

Maui regular TSA was starting to get crowded at 7:30am. The line was getting back to the entry point at that time. We were 6th in line at the Pre-check line.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All boarded and ready for Kona. Big Island here we come. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wave at the farm from the bay. We're a mile from the Monument. (Although some of that distance is best described as "straight up."
Will do. We are just getting settled in. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa is pretty nice. Really large unit.parking is pretty convenient. We're not too far from the covered parking.

Kim is doing well with her walking so, so far so good. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's some pictures from our lanai on the second floor. The first floor has the bedrooms. I'll post more unit pictures later.shaka

20230520_170037.jpg
20230520_170041.jpg
20230520_170053.jpg

heitmullerj02

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, HGVC Carlsbad
Hilo had a nice botanical garden when I went a few years ago(pre Covid).

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
If you'd like to swing by the farm and grab all the avocados you can eat in a week, feel free.

We're on Google Maps, finally, so we're much easier to find. If you're heading to the Painted Church, City of Refuge or Two-Step beach, you'll pass us on the way down. I'm still on the mainland, packing. But my brother is usually there.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The next time I come to the Big Island, @ScoopKona, I am taking you up on the all-the-avocados-I-can-eat offer, even though this wasn't directed at me. ;) As well as for the best place to score fresh fish to grill.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
The next time I come to the Big Island, @ScoopKona, I am taking you up on the all-the-avocados-I-can-eat offer, even though this wasn't directed at me. ;) As well as for the best place to score fresh fish to grill.

Pretty much anyone can come grab avos. I should have loads of tomatoes as well. But I don't think ANYTHING is being done at the farm right now. Unless you call "twisting doobies on the lanai" useful work.

As for fish -- drive to the KTA/Longs in Keauhou. Just down the hill, heading to Alii Drive, there's a guy selling fish out of the back of a truck (under a tent). That's the guy. There are also farm-raised, ultra-cold-water crab and lobster sold just south of the KOA airport. Absolutely first-rate shellfish. They sell to the public. But nobody on the island seems to know about them. I've told dozens of people about the abalone, Maine lobster and dungeness crab. And everyone looks at me like I'm telling them the earth is flat.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilo had a nice botanical garden when I went a few years ago(pre Covid).
We are going to Hilo. I went to that side often when I came here for work. We'll see what the weather is and what the group wants to do while we are over there. shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you'd like to swing by the farm and grab all the avocados you can eat in a week, feel free.

We're on Google Maps, finally, so we're much easier to find. If you're heading to the Painted Church, City of Refuge or Two-Step beach, you'll pass us on the way down. I'm still on the mainland, packing. But my brother is usually there.
Mahalo, I try to remember when we go that way. shaka

Some times it's hard to decide what we are going to or where we are going when you have a group. Everyone says "It doesn't matter to me".:D:ROFLMAO:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty much anyone can come grab avos. I should have loads of tomatoes as well. But I don't think ANYTHING is being done at the farm right now. Unless you call "twisting doobies on the lanai" useful work.

As for fish -- drive to the KTA/Longs in Keauhou. Just down the hill, heading to Alii Drive, there's a guy selling fish out of the back of a truck (under a tent). That's the guy. There are also farm-raised, ultra-cold-water crab and lobster sold just south of the KOA airport. Absolutely first-rate shellfish. They sell to the public. But nobody on the island seems to know about them. I've told dozens of people about the abalone, Maine lobster and dungeness crab. And everyone looks at me like I'm telling them the earth is flat.
There's a hand written sign for the fish guy right on the road.

There's a lot of stuff for sale along the road just like the other islands. I was getting tired of Mangoes as we left Molokai. Our friends have a tree and we were getting loads of them every couple days. The best way I found to keep op with them was to make smoothies.shaka

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, everyone was tired from getting up early yesterday and traveling. I keep telling our friends that we both took 2 flights so we're tired too. :D

Anyway, we were all asleep by 8pm. Were just up now and moving around. Sounds like a trip to Kona town and maybe head up north today. We'll see what the day brings.

One thing we know is Tuesday is their Manta Ray Snorkel and one day, probably Thursday, will be our hang around the pool and resort day. We bought some steaks for that and my wife has a tele-visit with one of her doctors on that day. On other day will be the Volcano but we may go over there twice. Don't know the days on that yet.shaka

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You're in a great spot. That resort is quiet and comfortable. If you want to give the manta ray trip folks a land-based idea of what they'll be doing, head down the street to the Sheraton around Happy Hour, and hang out on their viewing lanai after dark. They point a big light out into the water to attract the plankton, and that attracts hungry mantas. You can see them from the lanai. It's a free thing.

Dave

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The old Kona airport has a small botanical walk, very flat easy walking, managed by local folks. The beach there has nice tidepools with picnic tables if you grab lunch to go in town, easy parking with restrooms.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
The old Kona airport has a small botanical walk, very flat easy walking, managed by local folks. The beach there has nice tidepools with picnic tables if you grab lunch to go in town, easy parking with restrooms.
The restrooms were destroyed by fire so there are no longer facilities at the park: