• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Green Egg?

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's the best!!!

We took the plunge and bought one 6 years ago. Where do I begin on how much we love our egg. First cleaning is non-existent. You just fire it up and anything baked on just burns off. It's ceramic which means unless you break it
it won't rust, fall apart etc.
Food wow, you can make just about everything including desserts. We love to
throw a pork butts on the night before and cook it real slow (temp holds no problem) and then the next day it's ready to eat.
Pizza, steaks (don't even go out for those anymore) chilli, smoke cheese, cheeseburgers, bake bread, cakes...........the list goes on. I think you get the idea.
The egg forum is a great way to get ideas and help with your egg. It is a little different way of cooking but easy as ever.
Any other questions I'd be happy to answer. Hope this helps.

BTW, the daughters friends love to come over and eat at our house. They are teens so what's that tell ya. :whoopie:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up with the predecessor, the Kamado. It was a wonderful barbie, but probably not one you'd use every day like for instance a gas grill. My brother has one incorporated into his outdoor kitchen in Las Vegas. He entertains a lot and the whole thing has great 'WOW' factor. The BGE produces good food, but like anything, there's a learning curve. So while you learn to lay out the ribs, brisket and steaks, I'll volunteer my services as constructive critic :)

Jim Ricks

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ive never heard of anyone have a single bad thing to say about them....cept the price.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
After eating from an egg I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat from a charcoal grill or gas grill. The flavor just isn't there and can't compare. Keep in mind you use lump charcoal and reuse what doesn't burn up.
As for the learning curve, it's just like TUG. The BGE forum takes care of all it's newbies and are always welcome.
If you can cook on a grill you can cook on a BGE. Good luck on your decision. Let me know if you decide to buy.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
After eating from an egg I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat from a charcoal grill or gas grill. The flavor just isn't there and can't compare. Keep in mind you use lump charcoal and reuse what doesn't burn up.

Wow you got our interest! What is the price range of these grills? Do you have any idea how big is the largest unit? Thanks!

Dorene

John37130

TUG Member
Reaction score
Internet policy

Apparently, you have to buy it from authorized retail locations. Their web site states: "There are no authorized internet retailers for Big Green Egg products. Purchasing and shipping any Big Green Egg product from an internet source will void the warranty associated with that product." That's an interesting marketing strategy.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have seen them at ace hardware here locally, the one on display was $899 and I believe it was a smaller one.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One might consider the Weber Smoky Mountain as well. I know BGE lovers are fanatical about their grills, but WSM owners are just as fanatical from what I've read (I was considering this type of grill a couple of years ago). I don't own either one. The Smoky Mountain is $199 at Amazon w/free shipping.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have them at the place where we refill our propane tanks...which is a tiny little store right on an old highway. They refill the tanks, they rent those gigantic grills that are used for outdoor parties, they have the full line of Weber parts and accessories, they do gas fireplace installations, and they have a big Big Green Egg on display. I've blanked out on the price but it's definitely over $1,000. It's big. It's green. It's a lot of money. I'm sure they're great, but I can't get over the sticker shock.

maddaug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess what sold us on the egg is how versatile it is. It a grill, a smoker, an oven and will just cook anything you so desire. If all your looking for is a smoker than get a smoker, but we wanted to purchase our LAST grill. This will outlast us I'm quite sure. Lots of $$ initially but it will be the last grill you buy.
Just a note, these egg's are HEAVY. They aren't meant to be moved all over the yard. I can't imagine the shipping cost. DH and I carried it but I admit it has it's own place in our backyard oasis and that is where it stays. If your curious check out their website forums. More info than one can imagine.

luvsvacation22, we have the large egg that can support cooking about 6 or 7 pork butts. They have an X-large now. Ours suites our needs fine.

Autoeng

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your curious check out their website forums. More info than one can imagine.

Reminds me of another forum I know (wink, wink)

luvsvacation22, we have the large egg that can support cooking about 6 or 7 pork butts. They have an X-large now. Ours suites our needs fine.

Most people buy too large of a grill. Buy what you will use 90% of the time and break out the charcoal or gas for large events.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought one for my spouse--and he is finally responsible for many of our dinners! (One gets tired of cooking!). We both love the flavor. Haven't perfected the pizza or other recipes beyond grilling or smoking. I think it is certainly worth the price, we plan on having it for a LONG time.