• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Event Rentals

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Where is the best place to rent out Timeshares for big events like the Super Bowl? Tug seems to be for value seeking audience and most big events sell for a premium. RedWeek doesn't seem to be known by many other then the timeshare crowd. Is it places like VRBO and Airbnb? They seem to be very complicated to post a partial timeshare week and have lots of hoops to jump through. Anyone with experience? For the Vegas Super bowl I posted on RedWeek with zero bites. Not sure what to do this year for New Orleans.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
If I recall correctly, the last two super bowls were over-run with AirBnB rentals, and the market was soft. I am not sure there is as much headroom there as you think.
+1

I successfully rented a Super Bowl week in Scottsdale a decade ago but I would never do it again. It was all last minute, stressful, and success was not guaranteed (as OP already knows).

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
+1

I successfully rented a Super Bowl week in Scottsdale a decade ago but I would never do it again. It was all last minute, stressful, and success was not guaranteed (as OP already knows).
yeah that's what I'm noticing as well. Wasn't sure if anyone was successful because I do think there is some up side to it.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
If I recall correctly, the last two super bowls were over-run with AirBnB rentals, and the market was soft. I am not sure there is as much headroom there as you think.
I think there is some upside to it. If I can get 4 Nights in New Orleans for less then $200 a night, I should be able to flip that during superbowl weekend for a bit of a gain

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I had two timeshare weeks for the Super Bowl, one rented at a profit several months in advance (not a huge profit though), the other did not rent until about 3 days before check in, at a big loss below maintenance fees. Market was flooded with timeshare rentals since everyone had the same idea. I will not attempt it again.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to rent out Timeshares for big events like the Super Bowl? Tug seems to be for value seeking audience and most big events sell for a premium. RedWeek doesn't seem to be known by many other then the timeshare crowd. Is it places like VRBO and Airbnb? They seem to be very complicated to post a partial timeshare week and have lots of hoops to jump through. Anyone with experience? For the Vegas Super bowl I posted on RedWeek with zero bites. Not sure what to do this year for New Orleans.

I would pick an event or time that people plan early for, like winter in Florida or Spring Training in Arizona. Not something revolving around teams picked two weeks or so before the event. There are many events that happen every year that draw people looking for accommodations. There are some big music festivals like that.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
go-koala.com has extremely easy set up (if your resort is already in their system). You just select brand, resort, fill out unit size, dates, price, and whether you are allowing renter to cancel. Then you forward your confirmation to Koala, they verify the dates, and it's listed. You can be done in a couple of minutes.
They provide the photos, the rental contract is between renter and Koala.
No matter where you list, keep an eye on your cancel by date, and if it doesn't rent in time, cancel and rebook elsewhere.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other point about renting a timeshare: The market sets the rate, not you.

If your unit isn't renting, it is probably too expensive. Many timeshare locations have multiple units and dates available. You don't need to be at the bottom, but you don't want to be out of line at the top, either.

Pretend you are going to rent a unit in the place where your timeshare is. How much would you pay?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The problem with the Superbowl is that most attendees are corporate types who have no major rooting interest. They have tickets far in advance, as well as corporate accommodations. As noted the true fans don't know for certain if their team is in it until a few weeks before and they don't want to go if their team is out. Lots of locals get out of dodge and rent their houses out. There are a few prior posts about this and it seems the consensus is that it is not the cash cow many think, and it is not getting any better.