• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better Toll Road Transponder

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate tolls, last time I went to Chicago they had changed things so much I missed 2 of them and had to pay when I got home. I'm just going the stay here in the 906 where there are none.
You are lucky. The last time I went thru Chicago I missed some tolls and not only got billed for the tolls but got fines also. The fines were more than double what the tolls were. UGH.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love me the 906! So many cool locations in the UP, but Marquette will always be my favorite. Proud NMU grad who got to play in the Yooper Dome. Portside Inn was my old haunt, but Blackrocks (the park and brew house) are fun as well. Cliff dove into Gitchee Goomie several times as a younger person.

Michigan has hardly any toll roads. The only toll even close to the UP is the on The Mighty Mac.
Yeah, the UP is a great place to visit. I believe the only toll road in Ohio is the Turnpike. Never dove into the Gitchee Goomie, but have been on a cruise to the pictured rocks and where the remains of the Edmund Fitzgerald lie. I'll say one thing about the UP... it's a lot quieter and calmer than the LP. I remember the first time we were there. I remember my kids saying they roll up the sidewalk at 5 PM. HaHa. But I loved the quiet.

Dancingfish

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parkway
Here in VA there is no fee to get an EZpass... but some toll road can be upwards of $30 during rush hour! EEK... I can not imagine not having the EZpass- but we pick and choose the times of day as they adjust the fees on the roads based on traffic.

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fisherman's Sunset Resort, Playa Del Carmen, MX
Love me the 906! So many cool locations in the UP, but Marquette will always be my favorite. Proud NMU grad who got to play in the Yooper Dome. Portside Inn was my old haunt, but Blackrocks (the park and brew house) are fun as well. Cliff dove into Gitchee Goomie several times as a younger person.

Michigan has hardly any toll roads. The only toll even close to the UP is the on The Mighty Mac.
I rarely go that far east and try to avoid driving over Mackinac Bridge, especially on the grates! I always imagine them falling out of the road and all the cars falling into the Straits!! Really I don't need anything in the LP that I can't get in the UP.

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fisherman's Sunset Resort, Playa Del Carmen, MX
You are lucky. The last time I went thru Chicago I missed some tolls and not only got billed for the tolls but got fines also. The fines were more than double what the tolls were. UGH.
If you miss any there or other places you can go online and pay them before you get fined.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

I have had an EZ-pass for abt 10 years here in the DC area. My DW is a proper Yooper. The only tolls I typically experience that cannot be paid by the EZ-Pass are when we cross the Mackinac bridge going to and from MI’s UP. They have their own pass system, no idea why they don’t get on the same system as everyone else.

Last edited:

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Florida visitor "go toll" program yet- no transponder just an app on your phone?

where-gotoll-works

Previously my vehicle had the sun pass mini sticker which worked well but that car was totaled this was one of the options I was looking into...

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Has anyone tried the Florida visitor "go toll" program yet- no transponder just an app on your phone?

where-gotoll-works

Previously my vehicle had the sun pass mini sticker which worked well but that car was totaled this was one of the options I was looking into...
Do you know if the $0.85 service fee applies to each toll, or each trip? It flashes on the screen in the "About" video. That could get expensive! There are 6 tolls on the 1-4 West through Orlando, so $5.10 in fees if per toll, where the tolls themselves in the late evening were $3.00 (that was 2 weeks ago). If it's $0.85 per trip, that is a bit easier to take. Say it's $0.85/month that would be much easier to take. I poked around a bit and didn't see that answered on the site.

I'm also a little concerned that it says Florida is in 'beta' - what if it doesn't work? Are you on the hook for the fines and tolls.

ETA: I poked a bit more and it is $.085 per TRIP (in the FAQ under Help). Still, depending on the number of 'trips' you take that could get fairly expensive and might be worse than the annual or initial fees for transponder programs. I also expect that you will be treated on as an 'out of system' user on ALL systems, so you won't get any native system discounts. That's one of the reasons we go with SunPass Pro - most of the toll roads we use are in the SunPass system and the discounts are better.

Last edited:

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the $0.85 service fee applies to each toll, or each trip?
I don't know anything about the program-
I didn't have a responder when picking up a rental car at MCO earlier this month there were signs everywhere and a desk set up in the rental car area but nobody was around, my flight had been delayed by the weather I landed after 9 pm. Considering it was after 10 pm by the time I got my stuff and headed to hertz I set my iPhone to "avoid toll rolls" and headed over to WDW.

funtime2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the NC Quick Pass. It has no annual fee, and the transponder cost less than $10 to purchase. Works in NC, GA, FL and all the EZ Pass states.
Thanks for sharing this. Might be worth it to get one. I live in NC too.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Used the Sun Pass Pro and it worked like a charm. So easy to get through the toll booths. It didn’t register the tolls right away, though.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the NC Quick Pass. And, just in case that it isn't clear, you don't have to be resident of the state that offers the transponder to get a transponder from that state. Ironically, I don't think I've ever used it on the one or two toll roads that exist in NC--I've only ever used it in the NE corridor (as we drive to PA/Maine at least once--and during 2020-2021 nine times--per year) and in FL.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with the NC Quick Pass. And, just in case that it isn't clear, you don't have to be resident of the state that offers the transponder to get a transponder from that state. Ironically, I don't think I've ever used it on the one or two toll roads that exist in NC--I've only ever used it in the NE corridor (as we drive to PA/Maine at least once--and during 2020-2021 nine times--per year) and in FL.

I also have the NC QuickPass and am not a resident of NC not have I ever used it for a toll in NC. At the time I purchased it a few years ago it was the only one that worked with EZ Pass and SunPass. Now EZPass and SunPass have finally come to an agreement so they basically all work for both.

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
No annual fee for the Sun Pass Pro, just a charge to your credit card once you have used up the initial credit. Definite get one if using toll roads. If you don't have one, they send you a bill for the fee(s) and they are higher than using the pass. Pass can pay for itself in a year, or less!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I-44 in Oklahoma requires PikePass or cash. Nothing else will work.

Toll collector indicated that someday, they would be compatible with other systems.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Toll collector indicated that someday, they would be compatible with other systems.

Yeah... someday. Congress passed a law in 2012 requiring nationwide toll interoperability by 2016 and yet it still doesn't exist- particularly west of the Mississippi!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

It looks like it works with North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) since 2014.

NTTA operates the Dallas North Tollway, George Bush Turnpike, Sam Rayburn Tollway, LBJ TEXpress, Addison Airport Toll Tunnel and the Chisholm Trail Parkway—all of which will be interoperable with the Oklahoma PIKEPASS. NTTA TollTag customers will have the same convenience on all Oklahoma turnpikes. Both NTTA and OTA passed resolutions to allow interoperability

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It looks like it works with North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) since 2014.

NTTA operates the Dallas North Tollway, George Bush Turnpike, Sam Rayburn Tollway, LBJ TEXpress, Addison Airport Toll Tunnel and the Chisholm Trail Parkway—all of which will be interoperable with the Oklahoma PIKEPASS. NTTA TollTag customers will have the same convenience on all Oklahoma turnpikes. Both NTTA and OTA passed resolutions to allow interoperability

Last week, signs at toll booths said, "PikePass Only" and "Cash." I suppose locals know that the signs don't mean what they say.

Yeah... someday. Congress passed a law in 2012 requiring nationwide toll interoperability by 2016 and yet it still doesn't exist- particularly west of the Mississippi!

Passing laws is easier than resolving technical difficulties!

I think it was the Indiana legislature that over a century ago passed a law changing the value of pi to 3.2. Pi, being what it is (an irrational number), hasn't complied.