• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better Run Out And Buy Pork

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Pork/Hams may become scarce.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Time to buy your own pigs.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We are having a Ham. Got to hit Costco tomorrow and stock up on Pork before the word gets out and there are shortages.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Everyone will forget about buying TP. There will be no meats to buy within a few days. Glad I prefer eating vegetarian.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There is still chicken and beef, right?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ours comes from California, but if it's being hoarded, that doesn't matter.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is still chicken and beef, right?
The article states
”The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply,” Smithfield president and CEO Kenneth Sullivan said in a statement. “It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running. These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain, first and foremost our nation’s livestock farmers.”

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just googled chicken and coronavirus. I did not find anything about a shortage of chicken meat but I learned that people are raising chickens for their eggs. There appears to be a fear of food shortages, between more people planting vegetable gardens and raising chickens.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drat! I was planning on getting a couple of racks of ribs to put on the smoker this week. Guess I better hurry.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just before SIP, we could not find meat at Albertsons or Smiths. Fortunately I have always been the hoarder at home so we are never short of food and other supplies. Since we no longer go to the store, we get our meat through Butcherbox and we have a large order coming this week. As long as Butcherbox fulfills our order each time and other produce sites deliver, we should be able to stay home for a long time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Drat! I was planning on getting a couple of racks of ribs to put on the smoker this week. Guess I better hurry.
I have 2 seasoned racks in my freezer and waiting for 2 more racks from Butcherbox delivery and I plan to smoke them next weekend. I smoke 4 racks of ribs at a time.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Actually this is a bigger problem than I thought.

With possible food shortages, Thomas Massie said it could get 'ugly.' Several meat processing plants around the United States have temporarily shuttered their doors following hundreds of workers testing positive for coronavirus. This comes at a time when Americans are trying to stock up on food a...

View the article.
https://flip.it/tjVwqr

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I, and a couple of people like who are close business partners, do a lot of work in the food processing business. Without naming names of specific companies, what we are seeing is that companies that have been heavily involved in institutional sales (restaurants chains, residential institutions, etc.) are getting hammered. Companies who sell consumer brands are experiencing increasing demand and are scrambling to keep facilities open and meet demand. Last week I was in conversation with one client who is looking at the current situation as a prime opportunity to break ground on a greenfield project. Their demand is up, and they figure that the current climate presents an outstanding opportunity to obtain equipment and engage contractors at bargain rates.

Here's a hint for you all. Warehouse stores, like Costco, are more often supplied through the institutional chain than are are grocery stores. When you sell in pallet quantities, that's how you source. So Costco might prove to be a more reliable source than grocery stores. You can also tap into the institutional chain on Amazon, as long as you are willing to buy in large quantity.

Of if you are more sustainable-sourced foods oriented, now would be a good time to do a futures arrangement with a rancher to source an animal.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plus there are some companies that sell to the consumer by the case. I couldn’t get my better burgers, so ordered a case directly from www.foodservicedirect.com/

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I just googled chicken and coronavirus. I did not find anything about a shortage of chicken meat but I learned that people are raising chickens for their eggs. There appears to be a fear of food shortages, between more people planting vegetable gardens and raising chickens.

I don't eat eggs but we do have a couple of chickens, lol. They lay an egg a day. They eat table scraps mostly. Sometimes its chicken, lol.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
The article states
”The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply,” Smithfield president and CEO Kenneth Sullivan said in a statement. “It is impossible to keep our grocery stores stocked if our plants are not running. These facility closures will also have severe, perhaps disastrous, repercussions for many in the supply chain, first and foremost our nation’s livestock farmers.”

I've stocked up on bacon
Smithfield Foods is owned by China ..... :cry:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stocked up on bacon
Smithfield Foods is owned by China ..... :cry:
You are correct the Chinese purchased Smithfield Foods several years ago. Their headquarters In Smithfield, VA have make several upper management changes and Smithfield Foods have purchased several small meat companies all over the United States. Their Virginia Smithfield hams are still the best IMHO.

Brett, you should be OK with pork products right now. The plant in Smithfield serves Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Washington, DC, and parts of West Virginia.
I am more concerned with chicken products from Tyson Foods and Perdue on the Eastern Shores.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
You are correct the Chinese purchased Smithfield Foods several years ago. Their headquarters In Smithfield, VA have make several upper management changes and Smithfield Foods have purchased several small meat companies all over the United States. Their Virginia Smithfield hams are still the best IMHO.

Brett, you should be OK with pork products right now. The plant in Smithfield serves Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Washington, DC, and parts of West Virginia.
I am more concerned with chicken products from Tyson Foods and Perdue on the Eastern Shores.

Oh I know
In another lifetime (long time ago) I used to work for Gwaltney and Smithfield Foods ;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got you, they were side by side. We loved shopping in their employees store.
nice prices

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Actually this is a bigger problem than I thought.

With possible food shortages, Thomas Massie said it could get 'ugly.' Several meat processing plants around the United States have temporarily shuttered their doors following hundreds of workers testing positive for coronavirus. This comes at a time when Americans are trying to stock up on food a...

View the article.
https://flip.it/tjVwqr

Well, I rung the fallout shelter bell
And I leaned my head and I gave a yell
“Gimme a string bean, I’m hungry man!”
A shotgun fired and away I ran.

Bob Dylan's "Talkin' World War III Blues"

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Oh, great. Something else for us to hoard.
Maybe we should just clean the grocery of all meats & poultry.