• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to upgrade to Business Class using Airline Points/ Marriott Travel Package

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Hi all. I'm trying to book a trip to Europe, possibly Paris for sometime in the fall using a Marriott Hotel (5 night package, I'm Platinum Elite). I would like to fly business class to Europe from New York/ Newark but the airline point requirements to book are astronomical. What is the best way to arrange the airfare so that I can use points to upgrade to business class? What airline would I have the best chance of doing this on? Since I can choose many different airlines with the travel package (and could probably supplement any additional points needed with Amex Rewards points for some airlines that participate in that program...ie. other than United) what would be the best strategy to do this? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm trying to book a trip to Europe, possibly Paris for sometime in the fall using a Marriott Hotel (5 night package, I'm Platinum Elite). I would like to fly business class to Europe from New York/ Newark but the airline point requirements to book are astronomical. What is the best way to arrange the airfare so that I can use points to upgrade to business class? What airline would I have the best chance of doing this on? Since I can choose many different airlines with the travel package (and could probably supplement any additional points needed with Amex Rewards points for some airlines that participate in that program...ie. other than United) what would be the best strategy to do this? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful. Thanks.
Book BA premium economy, upgrade to biz with BA avios. CAN be confirmed at booking stage with agent on phone.

Depends on West versus east coast but perhaps 25k miles each way to upgrade?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not that simple.

1. You should use a tool like Expert Flyer to determine available seat upgrade buckets for the flight times that will work for you. No availability means you go on the waitlist and you will likely be below anyone else that has status trying to upgrade using miles.

2. Fare class matters. Some fare class buckets do not allow upgrades. Some require copay. Look at the rules before you buy.

3. If the copay+miles cost is less than the cost in miles to upgrade and there is availability, great! Otherwise, it is often better to just book business if it is available for the flight you are on.

4. I'll also add that the aircraft you are on matters, so look at what metal you are flying and determine if the experience on that aircraft is worth it.

Good luck.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew first class to Amsterdam last August on BA. we flew from Dallas to London, then Amsterdam. It was the worst first class experience we have ever had. The seats were like cocoons that the flight attendants had to climb over the people on the aisle to serve the people next to them! The flight from London to Amsterdam had fake first class seats. It was like a Southwest flight 3 seats across— there was a tray screwed over the middle seat. Thank goodness it was only 45 minutes.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We flew first class to Amsterdam last August on BA. we flew from Dallas to London, then Amsterdam. It was the worst first class experience we have ever had. The seats were like cocoons that the flight attendants had to climb over the people on the aisle to serve the people next to them! The flight from London to Amsterdam had fake first class seats. It was like a Southwest flight 3 seats across— there was a tray screwed over the middle seat. Thank goodness it was only 45 minutes.
EU Biz is generally different. On 6 across seaters, you generally have a coach seat with the middle blocked off. Very common on intraeurope flights

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

Thanks all for the quick responses. I have flown BA to And from London in biz class and was not impressed either. I would prefer to fly American or United Polaris if possible. Will speaking to the right agent with either of these Airlines help to accomplish this 2 step process to buy ticket and then get upgrade? Also, would prefer to fly non-stop to Paris. Thanks again for the advice.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
EU Biz is generally different. On 6 across seaters, you generally have a coach seat with the middle blocked off. Very common on intraeurope flights

I’ve flown 1st class throughout Europe before and we never had this configuration!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the quick responses. I have flown BA to And from London in biz class and was not impressed either. I would prefer to fly American or United Polaris if possible. Will speaking to the right agent with either of these Airlines help to accomplish this 2 step process to buy ticket and then get upgrade? Also, would prefer to fly non-stop to Paris. Thanks again for the advice.
We flew American home and it was fine! My favorite is Alitalia first class.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just in the interest of clarity....

1. Alitalia have no first class service of any sort.

2. There is not so far as I know *any* first class service offered on any flights anywhere within Europe.

3. The description of BA first class service above does NOT relate to first class but to BA business class (Which they call 'Club World')

Broadly speaking in order of merit/luxury

1. EU or international short-haul Business.
2. US Domestic 'first' class.
3. International long-haul business (typically 100% lie-flat bed outside of US carriers)
4. International long-haul first class (only international carriers and AA... Typically a 'suite' or extra large flat bed, very high levels of service)

International First Class is a real luxury and has nothing in common with what is usually called 'first' class in the US which in fact does not even reach international business class standards.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

ACP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to European (and especially UK) Airline flights.

You said it. Just been looking a flight to Vegas and using all points it will still cost £700 in taxes and charges $1000

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
...which is why I suggested purchasing a premium economy ' world traveler plus' seat on BA and upgrading using points as the best value way of getting into business as it is possible to upgrade from relatively cheap fares for a relatively small amount of points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I would consider Air France Premium Economy (especially on the A380). Another option is Delta's new Premium Economy on their new A350s. However, I'm not sure if they are flying that equipment to Paris yet.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Just in the interest of clarity....

2. There is not so far as I know *any* first class service offered on any flights anywhere within Europe.

3. The description of BA first class service above does NOT relate to first class but to BA business class (Which they call 'Club World')

International First Class is a real luxury and has nothing in common with what is usually called 'first' class in the US which in fact does not even reach international business class standards.

Yes, you are right, there are no first class services operated on any intra Europe flights. BA operates three levels on most long haul flights, First Class, Club World (aka business class), World Traveller (economy) they also offer World Traveller Plus (premium economy). Within Europe the flights consist of Club Europe and Euro Traveller.

Virgin Atlantic also opt for non industry standard terminology and refer to their business class product as Upper Class. I would place it above BA's Club World and consider it edging more towards their First Class.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We were looking to fly to Rome in business class on United a few years ago. We didn't quite have enough points for 2 tickets. However, flying on Luftansa we were able to use our United points and it required half the points for business class. The European lounges are much nicer than the American ones, too. I'm not sure if you can still get away with using less points on Luftansa or not, but if you have United miles, it's worth looking into.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were looking to fly to Rome in business class on United a few years ago. We didn't quite have enough points for 2 tickets. However, flying on Luftansa we were able to use our United points and it required half the points for business class. The European lounges are much nicer than the American ones, too. I'm not sure if you can still get away with using less points on Luftansa or not, but if you have United miles, it's worth looking into.
Did you have to call United to book Luftansa? Most of my online searches never see Star Alliance options for redemption.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
When I traveled a lot on business from Chicago to London some 15-20 years ago, I thought BA had the best business class by far, and certainly much better than American, which was normally my preferred airline. However, from what I have been reading in various sources over the past few years, it appears that their international business class service has deteriorated significantly.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham

I just saw this online and thought it might be of interest: http://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...d-1-private-jet-to-nyc-wide-open-using-avios/

Yes it is BA but it’s not their regular business class and according to the article, availability is wide open in autumn for as many as 4 seats per flight and 100k return off-peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I traveled a lot on business from Chicago to London some 15-20 years ago, I thought BA had the best business class by far, and certainly much better than American, which was normally my preferred airline. However, from what I have been reading in various sources over the past few years, it appears that their international business class service has deteriorated significantly.
They were the very first carrier with lie-flat beds on all flights, but they still have the same setup, which effectively means they have the oldest design lie-flat beds there are.(Still a lot better than an angled seat of course!)

Most major airlines outside the US have 100% lie-flat for years and with the recent improvements transatlantic and transpacific the only place you are likely to see no flat beds nowadays is routes to Caribbean and South America I would expect.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are often able to fly Business First/First Class flat beds on United for 70K to 90K points each way for long haul international nonstop flights. To me, that is very reasonable. Perhaps it is because SFO is a United hub. I book early when possible or I am flexible with the exact dates. I sometimes re-route us through another United hub and then we pay for a local short distance flight to our eventual destination.

We have flown Business First with flat beds on United as well as many of their partners. For example, we went to Istanbul Business First flat beds seats a few years ago on Turkish Air. It was fabulous. Now we are flying home from Taipei to SFO Polaris Class for only 80K points per person.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

I see you are from NJ. Would you be flying out of EWR?

I did a quick search on United. A direct flight from EWR-Paris is a little over 7 hrs. While business class is wonderful for the service and bed please consider that 7 hrs. is not enough time to sleep much. The meal service begins about an hour after takeoff. It is a luxury meal and not to be gulped down. Watch a movie or two and you have little time for much sleep before they wake you for breakfast.

I have booked tickets to Europe as one ways. Business over and economy on return. The return flights are in daytime with little sleeping going on.

Others who have responded to this thread are flying longer distances and sleeping is easier.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Did you have to call United to book Luftansa? Most of my online searches never see Star Alliance options for redemption.
No, I believe I booked directly from the Luftansa website. Either that, or I managed to expanded my options on United's website to include Star Alliance flights. One thing I'm sure of is, I did NOT phone the airline. I only book online.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I believe I booked directly from the Luftansa website. If not, then I expanded my options on United's website to include Star Alliance flights. One thing I'm sure of is, I did NOT phone the airline. I only book online.
I did not know you can go directly to Star Alliance partner (Luftansa) website and use another partner's (United) miles!? I have been including the include "Star Alliance" flights but I have not seen additional flights. How long ago was this?