• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to trade out of Gold week at Newport Coast Villas

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
I have a question related to Saeedibobbak's thread, but I didn't want to risk hijacking it so I will post separately.

I have been a Gold week owner at NCV for approximately 10 years. I purchased a resale week from a previous owner by deed. There are no points or anything like that.

I enjoy the area but am ready to explore elsewhere. Plus, I find that the traffic is getting worse each year and now to the point where weekday travel is difficult, except at off hours.

I would like to trade my week for a week elsewhere, perhaps at the Pulse in Washington, DC. I am confused as to the proper mechanism to do this.

As far as I can tell my best (if not only) option is to book a Gold week at NCV, deposit it into Interval International and hope that someone who has Pulse-Washington DC week that I am interested in will be willing to trade.

Are there any other options? For me this seems to "chancey". In other words, I will have to select a NCV week in advance and hope a Pulse-Washington DC owner with a week that is attractive to me will be willing to trade.

What happens if I select a week that isn't attractive to a Pulse owner? What happens if nobody deposits a Pulse week into II that is attractive to me?

Is my understanding about how II works correct? Are there any options besides II to trading a deeded week?

Thanks!

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question related to Saeedibobbak's thread, but I didn't want to risk hijacking it so I will post separately.

I have been a Gold week owner at NCV for approximately 10 years. I purchased a resale week from a previous owner by deed. There are no points or anything like that.

I enjoy the area but am ready to explore elsewhere. Plus, I find that the traffic is getting worse each year and now to the point where weekday travel is difficult, except at off hours.

I would like to trade my week for a week elsewhere, perhaps at the Pulse in Washington, DC. I am confused as to the proper mechanism to do this.

As far as I can tell my best (if not only) option is to book a Gold week at NCV, deposit it into Interval International and hope that someone who has Pulse-Washington DC week that I am interested in will be willing to trade.

Are there any other options? For me this seems to "chancey". In other words, I will have to select a NCV week in advance and hope a Pulse-Washington DC owner with a week that is attractive to me will be willing to trade.

What happens if I select a week that isn't attractive to a Pulse owner? What happens if nobody deposits a Pulse week into II that is attractive to me?

Is my understanding about how II works correct? Are there any options besides II to trading a deeded week?

Thanks!
Reserve a week at NCV that you will use if a trade doesn't go through. Do a request first exchange through II for the destinations you are interested in. By doing that you still have the original reserved week in the event an exchange doesn't go through. The Pulse in DC may be a very difficult trade to get since it is a small location.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

When you deposit a week into II you have 2 years to use it so hopefully you can find someplace to vacation in that time period.

But don’t count on DC pulse. This resort is not owned by anyone- weeks were never sold. The only way it ends up in II is if Marriott puts extra weeks there. Same for pulse nyc and SD.

If you don’t want to stay in your owned TS week and don’t think you can exchange via II within a 2 year period the other choice is to rent your reserved week on a site such as Red week or here and use the proceeds to book a hotel or at least cover your maintenance fees.

CaliforniaDreamin'

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast
The last post in this thread was ten months ago. Anyone have any updates? Thanks!

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you’ve owned for 10 years that means you should be able to enroll in the points program for free or minimal cost. You will receive 2700 per year for electing your week. That will buy you plenty of nights at the pulse and you’ll have many other options. I know people have their own opinions but mine is that the points system is fabulous, and enrolling this week and using the points for you is a no brainer.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Thanks!

If you’ve owned for 10 years that means you should be able to enroll in the points program for free or minimal cost. You will receive 2700 per year for electing your week. That will buy you plenty of nights at the pulse and you’ll have many other options. I know people have their own opinions but mine is that the points system is fabulous, and enrolling this week and using the points for you is a no brainer.

As Norcal5 alluded to, if you bought your unit before June 20, 2010 it is eligible to be enrolled into the Destination Club (DC). If so, you can make an election on a year-to-year basis to get DC points instead of using your week at NCV and then reserve a different resort within the Marriott system. If you bought it by that date you should call MVC and ask about it. They had allowed owners to enroll for free if you watch some video on their site, but I don't know if that still applies. They can share the available options with you.

Best regards.

Mike

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge

Thanks!

As I read your note I was struck by the following comment which is too simple "As far as I can tell my best (if not only) option is to book a Gold week at NCV, deposit it into Interval International and hope that someone who has Pulse-Washington DC week that I am interested in will be willing to trade."

When you deposit into interval you effectively receive credit for your week (for a deposit first transaction) . you then can set up a search for the vacation you would like. When an owner deposits a week that matches your criteria you are offered that week without regard to what the depositing owner wants, as your week was assigned to someone who wanted NCV. You have two years to book a vacation after deposit. So your matching opportunity is much greater that your statement assumes. A number of folks have pointed out there are two problems with a Pulse DC trade, first it's a small resort and second it's sold entirely as points so only Marriott makes deposits. I trade all the time and have gotten some great vacations/. That said if you purchased resale before the cut off in 2010 you can enroll your week for points you can easily book the pulse locations.