• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to Sell a Marriott Hawaii Week

nycjimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Manor Club Sequel, Marriott Summit Watch
I own a Marriott Hawaii week. The week still has some value (estimate $7.5k) so it is not a dumpster sale. If I want to sell, which is the best way to sell the unit: TUG marketplace, Redweek, eBay, or legitimate timeshare broker? Are there any other places to list the unit? If I list on eBay and pay the listing fee (I believe $35), do I have to repay the listing fee if the week does not sell? What commission does the timeshare broker charge? I also understand that I have to use a local transfer agent due to recent Hawaiin law. Thanks in advance.

Ginny39

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge, Marriott's Grande Chateau, Marriott's SurfWatch
There are Marriott groups on FB where you can list a week for sale. I trust buying from RedWeek and TUG over E-bay because a friend lost over 7 thousand dollars on a platinum week at Barony Beach. She contacted an attorney in Tennessee because that is where the seller and the firm that held her money were located. After looking into it he said she was going to loose more money if she went after him. Good luck.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are Marriott groups on FB where you can list a week for sale. I trust buying from RedWeek and TUG over E-bay because a friend lost over 7 thousand dollars on a platinum week at Barony Beach. She contacted an attorney in Tennessee because that is where the seller and the firm that held her money were located. After looking into it he said she was going to loose more money if she went after him. Good luck.

Something has a bad smell here. Wasn't there an escrow agent involved in the transaction ?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would start with the Tug Marketplace - I sold a MVC week quickly there recently. Free for tug members, which is a nice perk.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I own a Marriott Hawaii week. The week still has some value (estimate $7.5k) so it is not a dumpster sale. If I want to sell, which is the best way to sell the unit: TUG marketplace, Redweek, eBay, or legitimate timeshare broker? Are there any other places to list the unit? If I list on eBay and pay the listing fee (I believe $35), do I have to repay the listing fee if the week does not sell? What commission does the timeshare broker charge? I also understand that I have to use a local transfer agent due to recent Hawaiin law. Thanks in advance.

We have purchased Marriott units through both eBay and Redweek and both went smoothly. However, if I was selling one I would use Redweek (small fee) and TUG Marketplace (no fee). You can also use a broker, but then you incur a sales commission, which IIRC run 25% or a minimum of $2,000 to $2,500. Since your unit has some value I would try to sell it yourself.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I sold a Hawaii Marriott week on the TUG Marketplace just before the pandemic (thanks, Brian).

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Buyer will need to use Hawaii escrow agent, which usually means a title company. You might identify a closing agent that can handle the escrow without title, before you list. That way a buyer has a sense of what closing cost will be, assuming they don't want a title policy.

I use someone in SC. A few others in Hawaii also. PM me if want a contact. My last closing through them was around $700-800, I believe.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I bought 2 timeshares on eBay. Both closings went fine, but I really did my homework.

What I looked for: (1) a seller who has closed hundreds, if not thousands of timeshares, (2) a seller with at least a 99% rating - - but I checked each of the negative comments to see what the problem was. If it was a slow closing, meant something different to me than something more serious, (3) accuracy of the posting.

Periodically I would see a seller who had only sold a handful of timeshares. Sometimes, it was their first offering. I stayed away from them with a 10 foot pole. I also noticed that when a seller had limited experience in selling timeshares that the bidding was very limited and lack luster.

So, to the O.P., I'd suggest to stay away from selling on eBay unless you've sold a whole bunch of other stuff their and have a 100% rating. Otherwise, you are unlikely to get decent bids.

jlee2070

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sell through a reputable agent such as "Selling Timeshares INC". I'm not affiliated with them. Just had a smooth transaction previously.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I've sold all of mine via Redweek, even while a few were listed with a premier Hawaii broker. Often the broker will also list on Redweek, so you don't have to, but you're likely paying $2K for that privilege. I'd at least discuss what you want to do with someone like Syed at Advantage Vacations, on Maui, or even Concierge out of Florida. I know local brokers can often generate a higher sales price from walk-ins, vs folks searching on Redweek.

Bottomline, a floating week is a generic product. The lowest price generally goes first, but you can maximize your week's value by reserving a prime winter or, I guess now, a prime summer week for 2021.

For your target sales price you really should just list it yourself. Get a simple buyer's agreement contract for both of you to sign, then hand it off to a closing company. It really is pretty simple, and I was as nervous as you the first time around.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Did you ask Marriott if they will sell the week for you?

nycjimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Manor Club Sequel, Marriott Summit Watch
I listed on Tug, but will also try ebay later day. I will put a start price slightly under market. Let's see if I wasted by listing fee with the weekly ebay auction listing.

Ginny39

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Timber Lodge, Marriott's Grande Chateau, Marriott's SurfWatch
Something has a bad smell here. Wasn't there an escrow agent involved in the transaction ?

Yes, but the escrow agent was probably the listing agent. She discovers they had the same mailing address and it was too late. They kept saying they were having trouble getting the papers signed etc. In the end they took her money and she got nothing. Later she saw they were still on Ebay. Ebay was not helpful at all. That is the reason I have not bought with eBay.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the escrow agent was probably the listing agent. She discovers they had the same mailing address and it was too late. They kept saying they were having trouble getting the papers signed etc. In the end they took her money and she got nothing. Later she saw they were still on Ebay. Ebay was not helpful at all. That is the reason I have not bought with eBay.
That's part of one's due diligence. I have bought a number of weeks off ebay and am comfortable doing so if things check out. This is the reason that both ebay and paypal distance themselves from real estate transactions including timeshares, that's why they won't help because all the auction does is put you in touch with the seller. Here's ebay's real estate policy https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...12&pos=2&query=Real estate policy&intent=real and Paypal https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/summary