• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to get out of my paid off Shell Vacation time share

Peter T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacations Club
My wife and I bought a Shell Vacation timeshare in 2008. The few times we tried to use it there was either no availability or the points I had did not amount to much. I have been doing some research online and really don’t know what to believe anymore. We paid approximately $8000 for our (paid off) timeshare and get 1500 points every year. Our association dues/maintenance dues are $500 a year. What are my options to get out of this timeshare? Is there any value in selling this timeshare? Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS... I was on the phone with Shell vacations twice. The first time I was on hold for approximately 45 minutes and the second time I was on hold for 30 minutes. Terrible customer service

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My wife and I bought a Shell Vacation timeshare in 2008. The few times we tried to use it there was either no availability or the points I had did not amount to much. ....We paid approximately $8000 for our (paid off) timeshare and get 1500 points every year. Our association dues/maintenance dues are $500 a year. What are my options to get out of this timeshare? Is there any value in selling this timeshare? Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS... I was on the phone with Shell vacations twice. The first time I was on hold for approximately 45 minutes and the second time I was on hold for 30 minutes. Terrible customer service

Shell likely has no resale value / just vacation value

If you truly want out - Wyndham (the corporate owner) has a program called Ovation . I think Shell may qualify . Must be paid off (which you say it is) .
There is an Ovation thread in the Wyndham forum .

ALTERNATELY - read some of the TUG threads about Shell in the Wyndham Forum and perhaps you can figure out how to get some vacation value .

Peter T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacations Club
Shell likely has no resale value / just vacation value

If you truly want out - Wyndham (the corporate owner) has a program called Ovation . I think Shell may qualify . Must be paid off (which you say it is) .
There is an Ovation thread in the Wyndham forum .

ALTERNATELY - read some of the TUG threads about Shell in the Wyndham Forum and perhaps you can figure out how to get some vacation value .

Peter T

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell Vacations Club
Thanks, I was just reading some other info on this site. Great site and I appreciate the info..

azimport99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Thank you, exactly what I needed. I appreciate the information about Wyndham's program.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank you, exactly what I needed. I appreciate the information about Wyndham's program.

Hi azimport99
Welcome to TUG

Another option is giving it away - TUG sub forum - Bargain Deals ( free) under the Buying - Selling - Renting Forum
< or list it for sale in Marketplace .>

You would need to list :

1) Resort location and company
2)the points value / or week .
3 ) MF cost
4 ) buyer pays transfer fee (or seller)
5) any other significant information.

Read some ads & you will get the idea

Anyone who is interested can reach you by sending a “conversation “
This avoids exposing your email or phone number to the scammer world

Good Luck

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try giving it away on TUG.

BUT reseach first "what MAY have been changed" for non-direct buyers (owners who did NOT buy from Shell directly) before doing this with a phone call to Shell about restricted USE of the Shell benefits on new owner ... who is not a direct relative to original owners.

If you REALLY need to learn more about how to use your Shell points or if you add a 'family' member to your ownership ... for their enjoyment. Keep reading, learning, asking questions HERE to better use your points among your family.

I, as an owner of both systems, have watched Wyndham and now Shell (after being acquired by Wyndham) CHANGE the usage rules for resale owners verse direct buyers (from the management company).

OR LEARN to use it .. $500 MFs is cheap for a one week vacation. Banking points into usage for every 2 years is another way to get a better/longer vacation stay.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I bought a Shell Vacation timeshare in 2008. The few times we tried to use it there was either no availability or the points I had did not amount to much. I have been doing some research online and really don’t know what to believe anymore. We paid approximately $8000 for our (paid off) timeshare and get 1500 points every year. Our association dues/maintenance dues are $500 a year. What are my options to get out of this timeshare? Is there any value in selling this timeshare? Thanks in advance for any advice.

It really doesn't have a lot of value, so if you're not going to use it then put it on eBay with a starting bid of $1 and let the high bidder take it off your hands. Quick and done!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
shell is listed on this page (although the link takes you to the wyndham page)

https://responsibleexit.com/

If you do get along in this process i hope you can reference this page should they try to deny you or turn you down in your attempt to give it back to them. I am curious as to what their response would be.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it only has 1500 points, it isn't worth anything as a resale. Wyndham Ovations (I think that is what it is called) will take it back for a fee. It is possible that you could find another Shell owner who wants to add points, but they would only take it for free.

If you have any interest in using it for yourself. You can learn how to use it by reading and asking questions here

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You could always rent a few nights at a time by advertising on Craig's List or Redweek.com. We own quite a few Shell points, and because I have not been able to get rid of our ownership <yet>, I continue to rent what we do not use, but I make no profit. I just charge per night what my cost is in MF's.

What is different for me is that I got my Shell points with no upfront cost. I got mine for free, and with free use for the current year, purchased 100% from ebay. So when I list them with this company: http://timeshareresaleshawaii.com/#/home, I know that whatever they charge in fees to sell, that is how they need to price the points. So in other words, I won't walk away owing anything.

We own 25,300 points. I was told they would break my contracts down to smaller packages (probably for them to make more money on selling fees). My ownership is made up of many different ones.