• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best way to buy and get summer weeks At NCV?

secakc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at NCV right now on an II flexchange. I went to the presentation this morning and found they only sell points now. I want to buy a resale week in order to go to NCV in the summer every year. Do I need to buy a week at NCV? Seems like about 8K Plat. Or could I buy Desert Springs and exchange each year? I don't understand how internal exchanges work. I live in Southern California and already own three other timeshares. Thanks for the help.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Ebay!

yes, best to buy what you want (resort and season)....no doubt!!!.... always has been, always will be.....don't buy to exchange, where there are no guarantees nowadays. exchanging is still fine, don't get me wrong, but don't let that be your modus operandi.

If you're an ebay newbie, start watching ebay listings....and take your time to learn and get the feel. NCV weeks are for sale often, even right now. They do command good prices, esp high season, because NCV is a great resort, BUT the prices are still FAR BELOW what you'd pay for a brokered resale. Ebay is the best source, and has been for a couple of years.

NOTE: Some weeks are listed at a set-high "buy-it-now" price....avoid these. the sellers of those are just fishing for an impulsive buyer. regular auctions beginning with a modest start price, some as low as $1, will end with a price well below those. The NCV week sales history can be looked up via a search, if you want to check past sales.

If you are not registered on ebay, do it now. and then go to "timeshares for sale" via a search. Then enter "marriott" and see the list.......you'll find various seasons of many resorts, NCV included. Be patient, and watch a few auctions for NCV before you try, and you'll get an idea about what they'll sell for. Ebay is safe.....you can check out the sellers and the closing companies.

The NCV weeks will begin with a few good bids (many will be interested), then sit totally idle a few days until right before the end, and then you'll have a mad finish in the last minute. Watch them, and also look at the final bidding prices after it's over, and see how the bids increased, and when.

worth repeating: the final selling prices will still be lower than thru others sources.

I own 6 marriotts (5 bought thru marriott years ago/mid-90's, plus one last year by resale on ebay), and also bought 4 additional non-marriott weeks on ebay. very happy with all of those.

BTW, Redweek.com has a current listing for a platinum NCV for $7,500---maybe negotiable, but you may be able to do better on ebay. see: http://www.redweek.com/posting/R503853

good luck and enjoy NCV---it's one of my favorites....definitely one of marriott's best. traded there about 4 years ago and loved it. beautiful!

Last edited:

amisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only way to guarantee a Summer Week at NCV every year

Marriott has a very wide Platinum calendar at NCV...and those weeks were sold to people..all of whom seemingly want to go during the months of June-July and August when the kids are out of school. Because of this the competition on reservation dates (for weeks reservations) is intense. You can get some advantage by buying two weeks and getting a 13 month reservation window (if you are going to reserve two weeks in a row).

The only way to guarantee a summer week is to buy week 26 Platinum Plus week...which is a fixed week (July 4th week). They do not appear on eBay often buy you can check with Judy or Seth to see if they have one in their inventory.

I am not sure about the points program...but if you have enough points to have a higher status level you can also book 13 months out. There may be more inventory in the Trust which might be held back for points members...hard to tell the split at this point.
good luck.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's tough to get a summer week at NCV even if you own multiple weeks there. Numerous owners have posted that they call exactly 13 months in advance and everything is booked. Marriott made a big mistake when they made the platinum season from late June to December. Most platinum owners want the summer months when schools are out. This makes a lot of demand for the July & August weeks.

I wouldn't recommend buying at another Marriott hoping to trade into the summer months. Too many owners either use their summer weeks or rent them for $$$. I've seen some July & August weeks pop up on II in flexchange, but they last about 5 minutes.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
It's tough to get a summer week at NCV even if you own multiple weeks there. Numerous owners have posted that they call exactly 13 months in advance and everything is booked. Marriott made a big mistake when they made the platinum season from late June to December. Most platinum owners want the summer months when schools are out. This makes a lot of demand for the July & August weeks.

I wouldn't recommend buying at another Marriott hoping to trade into the summer months. Too many owners either use their summer weeks or rent them for $$$. I've seen some July & August weeks pop up on II in flexchange, but they last about 5 minutes.

Lisa
I don't think Marriott made a mistake, they knew exactly what they were doing. By extending the platinum season they were able to sell more units for more $$$$$.I'm sure they told all the buyers, don't worry , you can get a summer week, but if you really want to be sure, your best bet is to buy another week. KaChing!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Lisa
I don't think Marriott made a mistake, they knew exactly what they were doing. By extending the platinum season they were able to sell more units for more $$$$$.I'm sure they told all the buyers, don't worry , you can get a summer week, but if you really want to be sure, your best bet is to buy another week. KaChing!

You are exactly right. That is what Marriott told my brother years ago when he bought an EOY Plat. at NCV to go with his EOY at Waiohai. He has never been able to get a summer week. In fact, he bought into the DC points program because they told him that would increase his chances. We will see.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lisa
Mistake or not, I don't know. But I think Marriott greatly underestimated the demand for July & August weeks. Most platinum owners want to reserve in the summer months and there are many more platinum owners than summer months. I'm sure they told buyers for years..."buy platinum, no problem getting a summer week when your kids are out of school."

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I traded in twice and got the trade in II within six weeks each time. Both times I put in a July 4th Manor Club 2BR with a huge range of summer weeks at NCV. The first week I got July 4th week (Platinum Plus). The second time I got the week before. They were still building the newest section the last time so Marriott was probably dumping weeks into II. This year there were lots of summer weeks in the Destination Club just sitting there, but I wouldn't go that route. Weeks resale is a much better deal.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
NCV Owner -- Just Returned from NCV

We did the presentation--it was the first time we heard the Points pitch. When I voiced my dissatisfaction that I have NEVER been able to book a summer week -- here is what the sales rep said: Marriott made a mistake in making that entire period Platinum. INSTEAD...they should have sold the summer weeks for MORE MONEY!

We bought our Platinum week 11 plus years ago for about $25,000 and thought it was a lot of money. We were shocked to hear the last Platinum legacy weeks were sold by Marriott for nearly $35,000. Ouch -- I would hate to have paid that much and be unable to book a summer week.

BTW, for this January week we exchanged in through II using a Studio with much lower maintenance fees. And the weather was wonderful. Takes some of the sting out for not being able to book a summer week.

B.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, fellow Apple Valley resident! What are the chances of that?!

We have stayed at NCV several times using part of our Marriott Shadow Ridge unit. I can see why you are falling in love with the property! We easily traded in, but it was always after Labor Day, when the kids were younger and could miss a week of school. I have also thought about going during their October break, but now that is just a week, so not as good. But given that NCV is so close it would be totally doable and you could trade it using only a lock-off unit and still get the whole two bedroom, because NCV only has two bedrooms! If you have kids in school and would like to save a lot of money, you may want to consider this option. You could pick up a Shadow Ridge silver week (which is what we own) for a song and dance and trade it for October no problem. Plus, we get day-use privieleges out there at SR and we do use it from time to time with the family. It's quite nice to have!

Best of Luck,
Janna

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I wouldn't necessarily advise buying a resale platinum week at NCV (even at an attractive price). Your only assurance is to buy a Platinum Plus (July 4) week - and those will not be cheap if you can even find one for sale.

We have a relative who recently dumped his NCV platinum week, frustrated over his inability to reserve ANYTHING during the summer. Week after week he would repeatedly call in at the 12-month mark exactly when the phones open. Always told "sorry - not available".

Marriott still owns a lot of the inventory at NCV. When they own the inventory, they can (and do) claim the best weeks for themselves before owners ever get a chance to reserve them. That is why you get "sorry - not available", but can still find units for rent at marriott.com throughout the entire summer. It's a pretty crappy way for Marriott to treat owners.

Because of the NCV example, I continue to worry about Marriott claiming the prime weeks for DC use in a similar fashion. Sadly, all we can do is speculate based on anecdotal experiences like I have just reported. We will never really know how Marriott is manipulating inventory under the covers.

If multi-week owners are told "sorry - not available" at the 13-month mark, then there should be grounds for a lawsuit in my opinion.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Marriott still owns a lot of the inventory at NCV. When they own the inventory, they can (and do) claim the best weeks for themselves before owners ever get a chance to reserve them. That is why you get "sorry - not available", but can still find units for rent at marriott.com throughout the entire summer. It's a pretty crappy way for Marriott to treat owners.

Because of the NCV example, I continue to worry about Marriott claiming the prime weeks for DC use in a similar fashion. Sadly, all we can do is speculate based on anecdotal experiences like I have just reported. We will never really know how Marriott is manipulating inventory under the covers.

If multi-week owners are told "sorry - not available" at the 13-month mark, then there should be grounds for a lawsuit in my opinion.
Marriott officials have contended that they only reserve the proportionate share of each week of their ownership- so that if they own, for example, 20% of the Platinum weeks they reserve 20% of each week in the season.

Only half the inventory is released at 13 months. There are many multiple week owners at NCV, some I understand owning in excess of 10 weeks. So many of those prime July weeks may have been reserved at 13 months way before the 2 week owner can reserve theirs, which explains why there is nothing at the 13 month mark for many. At 12 months the other half of the inventory is released.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even with their "proportional" share of units, how are Marriott reserving these weeks? For example, are they using a computer program to "book" the units the instant BEFORE the phone lines and computers open up to regular owners (at 12 and 13 mo. marks) ?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Platinum NCV week on Ebay. 4 days left......Watch it, and if you can, give it your best shot. These will probably be the best prices you'll see, so somewhere along the line, you may get lucky.

Item number: 290659969384

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only way to guarantee is buy the week 26 (4th of July week). I was lucky enough to find one of these about 8 months ago or so and bought it right away. Personally, I hate dealing with calling in at the wee hours of the morning "hoping" to be able to use a week! The week 26 guarantees the week, even if you call months after the 12 month mark to "confirm" your stay.

Personally, I think Marriott poorly designed the Platnium weeks for this resort. Ideally, they should have maybe sold a Platnium summer week group for the summer months. I also wouldn't buy points from them with the "hope" of being able to book those summer weeks.

Beautiful resort though -- and am very happy with my week 26 to avoid the headaches. Good luck!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Look the only way to get a summer week at NCV is to rent one from someone who was lucky enough to reserve the week. The up front cost is zero but you'll pay more than the MFs . IMHO, this is the only way to be sure to get the week you want, rent a week that is already reserved.

darius said:
Personally, I think Marriott poorly designed the Platnium weeks for this resort. Ideally, they should have maybe sold a Platnium summer week group for the summer months. I also wouldn't buy points from them with the "hope" of being able to book those summer weeks.
Couldn't agree more.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Can Plat. Plus July 4th owners book another week in the Plat. season? If so, the best approach would be to pay the small premium and buy a week 26 resale, and then know that you are guaranteed a July 4th week but could have the option of booking another summer week if available. This is allowed at somer resorts but I don't know about NCV, but might be worth checking into.

Garnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa 2,31 MNCV 52, MSR 52, MDSV2, FSA
Renting is the way to go for NCV summer

I second that renting is the way to go for summer at NCV. I own NCV week 52 and have rented it before. Looking at the rental prices on redweek.com, I would rent if you really want to go there. It seems the rental prices have come down from previous years, and about $2k to even $2.5k (or a bit more) is reasonable for renting. I even see one or two for less than $2,000.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that I own 2 gold weeks at NCV and have had no trouble at all reserving any week I want from Jan -May even at 7-9 months before travel. So this problem of owners not being able to reserve weeks in the season they own is entirely a problem of summer months not an overall problem at NCV.