• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best ts deals to expect in the winter in the Orlando area with rci points. Points not tpu's.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Innseason at Ogunquit Maine.
Just interested in what great values people have had or look for between January and March. Might even consider multiple weeks if the price and points are right. What are your thoughts/experiences? Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Bargains are easier to find with tpu's due to the overwhelming supply of Orlando timeshares than RCI points. You would have to wait for sales on rci points resorts for deals. Extra vacations/last calls might even be an option for deals.

bshanebowl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Innseason at Ogunquit Maine.
Im sure there's a lot of truth in that statement but at the same time there's someone on here that gets two or three 2 bedroom weeks in the area with an occasional extra bonus week and extra bonus bedroom for 7500, 7500 rci points most years. I think the name is awaywego So I thought I'd see what other folks are flexing.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Im sure there's a lot of truth in that statement but at the same time there's someone on here that gets two or three 2 bedroom weeks in the area with an occasional extra bonus week and extra bonus bedroom for 7500, 7500 rci points most years. I think the name is awaywego So I thought I'd see what other folks are flexing.
Alan does get some good deals via RCI points in Orlando. I think he would be happy to answer the question @AwayWeGo

I don't love a lot of the RCI resorts in Orlando just really Disney, which you can get easily with RCI Points, but it's more like 68,000-85,000 points for a single week (still worth it to me at 1 cent per point). I like Bonnet Creek but it's cheaper to get it through Wyndham points without exchange for the times we like to go to Orlando.

I used to just love Hilton resorts, but the $25 per day for basically nothing is too high for me to pay + exchange fee and points (or TPU's), it's not worth that much to me.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The 7500 deals usually come about 30-45 days prior so it makes it harder to plan but if you are flexible enough to wait it out there usually is enough inventory that you can find something (especially if you only need a 1 br) for most weeks but not necessarily every week during that time period.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Alan does get some good deals via RCI points in Orlando. I think he would be happy to answer the question @AwayWeGo
Even before we took the timeshare plunge (2002), we liked January vacationing in various Florida locations. We didn't discover till later that early January is off-season in Florida. That seemed counterintuitive to us. We thought people would want to go to Florida in January to get away from the cold weather, making January a high-demand season. It turns out instead that people are tapped out after Christmas & New Year's, & the kids are back in school, making for a Florida travel lull in January. Who knew ?

Off-season means (a) lower demand for resort accommodations (with corresponding increased availability), & (b) more last-minute timeshare bargain opportunities (Last Call, Bonus Weeks, special sales, etc.).

After downsizing, all we have left is a triennial timeshare points unit that generates just 16,333 points per year, not enough to get much at all in the way of straight-points timeshare exchanges. In recent years, however, that minimal points balance plus the Last Calls, etc., have been enough to get us 2-3 nice 7-night Orlando timeshare reservations.

We have also taken advantage of those RCI 10,000 Points & Less week-long reservations that are mostly available when the reservations are made within 45 days of check-in. When we were short of points for 1 of those a couple of years ago, we were able to buy enough extra points to complete the reservation right there at the RCI on-line reservation payment page. (The RCI limit for buying more points is 1/2 the member's annual points allocation -- 8,166 points, in our case. We only needed to buy 1,000 or so that time.)

The public health situation in 2020 & 2021 had a depressing effect on vacation travel -- not just ours, but lots of people's. Maybe that's why, in 2020, we received an unusually favorable bonus offer -- $99 for a full-week reservation, no points, no tax, no TPUs, just $99. We pounced on that & reserved a 1BR January 2021 week at Vacation Village At Parkway. For some reason, we were able to request platinum Unit Upgrade even though the $99 deal did not involve any points. As it happened, Unit Upgrade came through & our reservation for that week was changed to 2BR. Unfortunately, because of the covid 19 scare, we were hunkered down & not traveling, so we did not use our upgraded $99 reservation. We gave it away to Florida friends unafraid to travel -- got'm a guest certificate & everything. So it goes.

Not long after that, we received another unusually favorable bonus offer nearly as good as the 1 we gave away. For $159 (no points, no TPUs, no tax, just $159), we reserved a 2BR March 2021 week at Vacation Village At Parkway. By then we had been vaccinated against covid 19 & were emboldened to go to Florida for 2 weeks. For the week right before our $159 Vacation Village At Parkway reservation, we got a 2BR bonus week reservation at Fantasy World Resort in Kissimmee FL.

As if to make up for only getting 2 January weeks in 2021, we snagged a 2BR week at Club Wyndham Star Island for 7,500 points + exchange fee for check-in July 31. Knowing our granddaughters were planning on bringing a bunch of their friends, we also made a 1BR bonus week reservation for check-in August 1 at Vacation Village At Parkway -- & a good thing, too, because our Star Island unit was fully loaded with eight ( -- 8 -- ) kids plus 2 moms, leaving no room in the inn for Grandma & Grandpa. No problem. Grandpa & Grandma just motored 4 miles down Rt. 192 & bunked down comfortably & restfully by ourselves in the Vacation Village At Parkway unit we had prudently reserved just in case.

We don't know what the timeshare availability situation will be when we start thinking in detail about January 2022. We figure on searching in earnest at RCI's website after Thanksgiving. By then we'll have the remainder of this year's points available, plus next year's, with the added ability to borrow ahead on our 2023 points if need be. That will be plenty for a bunch of 7,500-point reservations, assuming availability at resorts we like for the weeks we want (which is in no way guaranteed). We'll just take our chances & see what we're able to get.

So far, so good.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can definitely get some great winter deals with points but I don't have luck as far out as 45 days - more like 14 to 18 days! Just last month I snagged a 2-br at Wyndham Daytona Beach for 7500 points, but it only popped up 12 days before check-in. That's obviously a summer exchange, but in January I have had success getting 7,500 point units in Orlando - last January it was Sheraton Vistana Villages around mid-January. Outside of Orlando the pickings are much slimmer for the discount points. If it's a prime location such as southern gulf coast, they usually don't offer them at the 7,500 - 10,000 discount even though they should be eligible.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can definitely get some great winter deals with points but I don't have luck as far out as 45 days - more like 14 to 18 days! Just last month I snagged a 2-br at Wyndham Daytona Beach for 7500 points, but it only popped up 12 days before check-in. That's obviously a summer exchange, but in January I have had success getting 7,500 point units in Orlando - last January it was Sheraton Vistana Villages around mid-January. Outside of Orlando the pickings are much slimmer for the discount points. If it's a prime location such as southern gulf coast, they usually don't offer them at the 7,500 - 10,000 discount even though they should be eligible.
RCI only drops the points when the tpu's on the weeks side go below 9 (and it has to be within the 45 day (or 30) or less period. So nicer resorts and popular times either never drop that low or if they do it really only happens very last minute. For example DVC never really drops below 12 even if it is 4 days before check in so it will never drop on the points side to the under 10,000 rci points range.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
You can pretty much always find availability at Vacation Village at Parkway for 4900 a week. I've even gotten the two bedroom lock off for that. You can also sometimes book multiple weeks in one reservation for one slightly higher exchange fee at VVP.

We live in Florida and have stayed at numerous resorts all over Florida and Orlando at various times a year for 4900, 7500 and 9000 points.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
An article on the internet recently reported that Orlando FL hotel business travel revenue is on track to be down bigtime this year from what it was in 2019.

The piece says: In Orlando, the second largest destination in 2019, annual hotel business travel revenues are expected to collapse by 81%, from $2.8 billion in 2019 to a projected $518 million in 2021.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that. Plus, I don't know whether or how much (if any) timeshare occupancy & non-business travel are on track for a similar decline.

Regardless, even if the forecast is only 1/2 right, it seems reasonable to expect bargain availability for Florida hotels & resorts, etc., in early 2022.

We'll see, eh ?

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Vacation Village Resorts special offer is back -- 7-night reservation for $159 + Zero Points.

1633099577908.png

Book by 12-31-2021 for Travel between 1-3-2022 & 3-27-2022. Call RCI to reserve -- 866-724-3333 (Points) -- 800-585-4860 (Weeks).

Choose from . . .

Orlando FL:
Vacation Village At Parkway
The Berkeley Orlando

Las Vegas:
The Cliffs At Peace Canyon
The Berkley Las Vegas
The Grandview At Las Vegas

Williamsburg VA:
Vacation Village At Williamsburg
The Colonies At Williamsburg
Patriots Inn

Southeast Florida:
Vacation Village At Bonaventure
Vacation Village At Weston
Mizner Place At Weston Town Center

Note: One to a customer.

Full Disclosure: We called up this morning & landed a 1BR reservation at Vacation Village At Parkway for check-in 1-22-2022. Is this a great country or what ?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Son and his Wife always stay in the same motel (can't remember its name). They were there about 2 months ago. He told me it was half the usual price...

George