• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best timeshares close to Universal Orlando

kolive

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am planning a trip to Universal for the first time and I am trying to find the best properties for families close to the park. We usually rent a timeshare when we go to Disney but not sure what is close to Universal.

Thank you!!

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Orange Lake was a great stay for us.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you are going to Universal only, I wouldn't stay at Orange Lake. Not because it may not be nice, but it is a long way away from Universal Studios. One issue with timeshares near Universal is that there aren't a lot of the hotel name brand timeshares real close. Most of those are south of Central Florida Parkway. Need to look for something closer. HGVC at SeaWorld is an option as would be Marriott Cypress Harbour and Harbour Lake. There are a few Westgate properties closer. If you are renting and can avoid attending a presentation, those may be an option also. Westgate Palace being the closest to Universal Studios.

kolive

Reaction score
Thank you! we have stayed at Harbour Lake before and it was a great resort! That may be our best option but I am open to other suggestions as well.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
we also stay in SeaWorld area--it's an easy drive via backroad to Universal and lots of good Marriotts, as well as HGVC-SW and HGVC Parc Soliel nearby. But, HGVC Palmera might be a bit closer? Haven't stayed there yet. HGVC all have $25ish daily fee. I don't think that Marriott timeshares have a fee. IMHO, any of the M near SW are good. Even the older ones, Royal, Sabal Palms have been redone and are up to M standards. Those have smaller pools, but free access to the M World Center pool area.

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
We own at the Westgate palace. We really like the resort especially as our kids love universal and it is a mile to the gate. If you are looking for a resort with a lot of kid activities you will probably find it lacking as it is a smaller resort without a lot of space.(the high rise buildings have an awesome view of the park however) The fourth addition to universal is being built on the other side of the palace. It will put the palace center to the total universal studio properties.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello all!

I am planning a trip to Universal for the first time and I am trying to find the best properties for families close to the park. We usually rent a timeshare when we go to Disney but not sure what is close to Universal.

Thank you!!
Marriott grand vista is around a 15 min drive, Sheraton vistana villages is less than 20. Keep in mind, I was there all year last year and covid led to lighter traffic. I’m sure with all the tourists coming back so is traffic.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you plan on going to Universal during peak season with the crowds and wanting to get express passes then it’s much more cost effective to stay at Royal Pacific or the the other 2 premier on site properties that automatically come with express passes for all guests in the room. I was planning on staying at a timeshare but did the cost analysis and it was a no brained just to stay at the royal pacific for 4 of us with express passes as well as early park entrance.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you plan on going to Universal during peak season with the crowds and wanting to get express passes then it’s much more cost effective to stay at Royal Pacific or the the other 2 premier on site properties that automatically come with express passes for all guests in the room. I was planning on staying at a timeshare but did the cost analysis and it was a no brained just to stay at the royal pacific for 4 of us with express passes as well as early park entrance.
Or, depending on how many days you will be at the parks and how you plan your days, a timeshare stay combined with just a ONE night stay at a premier hotel in the middle of the trip has worked very well for us.

You get 2 days of express passes (check in and check out day) for a one night stay at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portofino up to the max room occupancy. Those days can be your “big ride” days. The onsite hotels also come with an early entry an hour before the parks open to offsite guests. So hit the big rides that don’t offer express at the start of the day, and use express passes the rest of the day. It is usually much less $$$ than even just one day of express passes for our party of 5.

On the days you do not have express passes, hit the bigger demand rides earlier in the day before wait times build, and enjoy the other areas of the parks/shows/Harry Potter interactive areas/etc. during the busier times. I recommend you visit at least once before your express pass days to enjoy the park and scope it all out.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It might even be worth booking a throw-away room, and use it only for a mid-day pool break and Express but sleep in your much more comfortable timeshare condo. That’s what we did the last time we visited UO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We just checked out from Marriott Grande Vista. It was fairly convenient to everything and it’s a nice resort. The traffic was not bad. It’s about a 15-20 minute drive. I prefer to stay somewhere nice over somewhere close.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
It might even be worth booking a throw-away room, and use it only for a mid-day pool break and Express but sleep in your much more comfortable timeshare condo. That’s what we did the last time we visited UO.
We’ve done this twice, once with 5 adults and once with 3. In addition to not paying for EP those two days, we saved 2 days of parking fees each time as well. It was much less expensive to pay for the throw away room than for two days of EPs. We slept elsewhere, a TS we had for a week, and we booked our hotel night to cover the most expensive EP days.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
If you get there early enough, generally traffic isn't bad at all. If you're a sleep-in and get to the park at 11 AM type, you're going to sit in parking traffic at the very least. I think you'd be happy with any of the locations noted about (Marriott Cypress Harbor, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake...HGVC Sea World...Westgate properties nearby). There's a certain amount of time you need to account for to do ANYTHING in Orlando, so another 5 minutes doesn't mean much to me.

We stayed at Cypress Harbour a couple of weeks ago and have annual passes to Universal (a good deal if you more than 4-5 times, as parking is free). We targeted getting to the park about 10 minutes before early opening and just drove right up and right in the garage - no traffic. The day we tried to pick up our passes at 11:30 AM we couldn't even pull into the line up for the garage.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We’ve done this twice, once with 5 adults and once with 3. In addition to not paying for EP those two days, we saved 2 days of parking fees each time as well. It was much less expensive to pay for the throw away room than for two days of EPs. We slept elsewhere, a TS we had for a week, and we booked our hotel night to cover the most expensive EP days.
That's a great idea!

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Does Grande Vista have a shuttle to Universal and/or the Disney parks?

kolive

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I do have a “throw away” room booked for express passes already! My daughter has special needs and only eats a very limited number of items so a kitchen is a must for us if we are staying a week! Our trip isn’t until the week of September 18-25 so once we get closer I’ll see what from my list I can get on the last minute rental forum!!!