• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Timeshare Duo/Trio?

TDub1313

Reaction score
I know a lot of people here on TUG play the “points game” with credit cards. To borrow a concept, I was hoping to get opinions on what would be a great companion system(s) to go along with HGVC? Many people use the Chase trifecta - CSR/CSP, as the anchor card and use the CU and CUF to help fill in holes and maximize benefits. I realize that Chase isn’t the only game in town. But for the sake of discussion, if you had only 1 HGVC contract and wanted to add 1 or 2 others, what (resale) systems would you go with and why? I know that everyone has there own preferences and there are many variables to consider, but what works for you?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I know a lot of people here on TUG play the “points game” with credit cards. To borrow a concept, I was hoping to get opinions on what would be a great companion system(s) to go along with HGVC? Many people use the Chase trifecta - CSR/CSP, as the anchor card and use the CU and CUF to help fill in holes and maximize benefits. I realize that Chase isn’t the only game in town. But for the sake of discussion, if you had only 1 HGVC contract and wanted to add 1 or 2 others, what (resale) systems would you go with and why? I know that everyone has there own preferences and there are many variables to consider, but what works for you?
We have Marriott (weeks for trading in II and also their Destination Club points system) and Disney Vacation Club. Have seen quiet a few people like Worldmark for trading in Interval.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You will get a range of answers on this because it depends on one's objectives. What locations matter to you that you cannot get via HGVC? Once we know locations then that will drive the result.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Wyndham/Worldmark has many locations that HGVC doesn't.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I like my HGV Vistana combo (which also includes GPX in my case.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...Once we know locations then that will drive the result.
Indeed. As with all real estate what matters in a TS system is location, location, and location. That said...

Of the TS systems I own, HGVC is the nicest. You don't have to call at 9:00AM sharp to get your home week reservation. In a number of locations - e.g. Big Island, Las Vegas, Orlando - you don't even have to worry that much about Club Season. The MFs are reasonable for platinum weeks. And when you buy or sell HGVC the points come with the week.

That said, I own more of MVC because of Kauai and Maui. But the way MVC overlaid their points system over their previously existing weeks system means you need to learn a *lot* about the realities of MVC before you buy. And it's a pain to use. But given those strictures I love the locations and we have very much enjoyed our stays in SF, Boston, Wash DC, SoCal, and other places in addition to where we own weeks.

And then there's DVC. If it's worth it to you to stay 'on property' at WDW (it is to us...and the value of doing so seems to be ever increasing) then DVC is your choice. As with HGVC there is a Home Resort booking window...but since there aren't any weeks* you don't have to book 'your' week in that window. However, while DVC was once the best TS system in terms of resale owners they have since turned to the dark side. I was going to buy direct at Riviera...but the resale restrictions (actually the Membership and Resort Agreements for all owners) at Riviera are horrendous.

*There are a few DVC week contracts in the newer resorts....but very few. To buy them you basically need to have arranged with your salesrep to buy them the moment they go on sale (at least for popular weeks like December and Marathon week) and all of them sell in short order. I've *never* seen one for resale...though have heard tale of them occasionally appearing.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
HGVC + MVC weeks.

HGVC is much more flexible and easier to use. MVC has access to II and expands where we can travel. BONVOY offers more destinations than HHONORS. However, HHONORS is again more flexible and user friendly.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
HGVC + MVC weeks.

HGVC is much more flexible and easier to use. MVC has access to II and expands where we can travel. BONVOY offers more destinations than HHONORS. However, HHONORS is again more flexible and user friendly.
These are my two. I reserve the Marriott, then use the HGVC points to adjust for more time, flying on less costly days, etc.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
HGVC + Wyndham is what I have.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is why your desired locations matter:

If you want Hawaii (Maui + Kauai) and don't want to wait for HGVC Maui, then Marriott, and Vistana are good choices. If you don't care about regularly visiting international (Spain, Thailand), then Vistana mandatory (WKORV, WKORVN, SVV (Bella or Keywest), or WKV properties only) with Staroption points is your most cost effective and flexible points option for properties with equivalent quality to HGVC. Vistana is now owned by Marriott and gets preferential trading access for Marriott weeks via Interval International.

If you want Key West, Carmel and upscale Maui, Hyatt is your best option.

If you want extensive western USA and coastal locations plus hawaii and don't mind 3.5 star quality and lower cost then Worldmark.

DVC best for Disney.

We own HGVC + Vistana (WKORVN Maui) because staroptions have all the benefits of MVC points but not the cost. Fewer locations but it doesn't matter because we are only paying for the locations that matter to us.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I absolutely agree that it's all a matter of where you live and where you want to go. We live in Sacramento and do a lot of our vacationing in the West.

We own HGVC for one reason and one reason only - to go to New York City.

I am a big believer in systems that let me book a variety of locations and unit sizes. Here is what else we own and why it works for us.

Worldmark - Lots of resorts in the West. A variety of cash options for booking in addition to our credits. Unique cancelation policy (varies based on how close to start date you book) that creates more last minute options than typical systems. Favorite resorts include the Camlin in Seattle, Park City and Deer Harbor on Orcas Island, WA.

Vacation Internationale (VI Resorts) - Our first timeshare. Primarily in the West. We get amazing perks by being Prestige Platinum (with developer and lots of grandfathered resale points) - better than any other elite program I am aware of. Favorite resorts include Sunriver, OR, Lake Tahoe and Ocean Shores, WA.

Shell Vacations Club - Again, resorts are mostly in the West. A lot of people use them for Hawaii. We use San Francisco, Napa and San Diego. MF are high but resorts are very nice.

Vistana (formerly Starwood) - A more recent purchase that we got for Colorado skiing. An every other year ownership (but with annual payment of the Vistana system fee which ups the cost). Unfortunately we are no longer skiing so debating Colorado in summer or maybe Hawaii.

RCI Points - We own at two independent resorts (Sedona Pines in Sedona, AZ and Oakmont in Pigeon Forge, TN) that have low MF for the RCI points you get. We have typically used these for any exchanging which has historically been for ski vacations. Again, that's something we are having to rethink.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ours are: HGVC, DVC and RCI points as sleep around points anywhere else.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many

II trading using Marriott is a good complement to the flexibility of HGVC. It's an imperfect analogy but HGVC is sorta like Southwest points and II trading is like flying international first class using United/AA miles.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Owning 300,000 Club Wyndham points, 10,000 Worldmark credits, an EOY 2 bedroom lock-off Marriott deed, a 7,000 HGVC Platinum Elara deed, and 100 SSR points sounds perfect to me. You would literally get access to everything! It would cost about 6k a year though =(

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Owning 300,000 Club Wyndham points, 10,000 Worldmark credits, an EOY 2 bedroom lock-off Marriott deed, a 7,000 HGVC Platinum Elara deed, and 100 SSR points sounds perfect to me. You would literally get access to everything! It would cost about 6k a year though =(

I have the TS highlighted in bold. It works together pretty well for me.

One of the problems with Wyndham resale is the points banking deadline of 3 months into your use year and the ability to borrow points from next year only within 90 days of check-in. That creates high likelihood of points being used sub-optimally. So I have avoided Wyndham.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I have the TS highlighted in bold. It works together pretty well for me.

One of the problems with Wyndham resale is the points banking deadline of 3 months into your use year and the ability to borrow points from next year only within 90 days of check-in. That creates high likelihood of points being used sub-optimally. So I have avoided Wyndham.

But since the MF are lower than HGVC and you get a free RCI account, you can deposit whatever you have leftover to stay at Saratoga Springs resort for $1000/week which is a steal for a Disney Deluxe resort.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I started with HGVC, and when I found myself using too many of HGVC points for RCI trades, I bought a great trader on RCI to use as "sleep around points" as @Cyberc mentioned.

If I buy into another system at this point, it will by Hyatt. I would use it to access Key West and to figure out what I am missing by not currently being able to trade on II.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
But since the MF are lower than HGVC and you get a free RCI account, you can deposit whatever you have leftover to stay at Saratoga Springs resort for $1000/week which is a steal for a Disney Deluxe resort.
What is the goal of SSR in your portfolio if you plan to book it using Wyndham points in RCI?

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I own HGVC, Vistana and Wyndham and that’s also my preference in that order.

HGVC are great resorts and we’re treated exceptionally as have been to Honolulu, Park City, Myrtle Beach, Orlando, DC, Chicago, Miami, Marco Island and Las Vegas

The key with Vistana IMHO is owning mandatory resorts so you belong to VSN and can do internal exchanges. I own multiples at Westin Kierland and also an SDO. I’ve stayed in Arizona, Orlando, and Maui multiple times with no issues using VSN

Own a smaller position in Wyndham because we like going to Glacier Canyon in WI Dells. Always treated well there by everyone but the sales people. As they’re shocked I would risk my money on EBay to buy their timeshares. I always reply I’m shocked anyone pays $30k for what I paid under $1k including closing costs. Combine that and fees galore make Wyndham by far my third choice

Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TDub1313

Reaction score
I do appreciate all of the replies. I live in the Midwest, about 1 to 1.25 hours from either Chicago airport. This means I can fly anywhere in the lower 48 in 4 hours or less. Is there a system that is best for flyover country? It is interesting to see what works for others and gives me further avenues to investigate. My lack of understanding on how each system treats resale owners gives me pause and makes me consider doubling down on HGVC. However, I also understand the idea of diversification would enjoy a few other options outside of an Orlando/Vegas/HI centric system like HGVC. Again, thanks for the replies and food for thought.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
The early cat catches the squirrel. We have to hire a pet sitter no matter which system we use.
322B335D-8A93-405D-9200-7103FA450908.jpeg

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
If you are interested in doing a fair amount of trading:
If you would like to be trading into certain parts of the country or regions (like the Caribbean), see which exchange company trades with the resort(s) you would like to trade into or purchase.

If you’d like to trade into Disney, own a resort that trades with RCI. But Disney could always switch exchange companies in the future, though.

I find that having both RCI and II is great for fit trading.