• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best skincare regimen

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best skincare regimen for sensitive/dry skin? I am tired of purchasing expensive products that are ineffective or irritating.

Cindy

Gadabout

Reaction score
Jim and Cindy said:
What is the best skincare regimen for sensitive/dry skin? I am tired of purchasing expensive products that are ineffective or irritating.

Cindy

First thing, try to either get a water filter, or let your water sit out a day or two to "air out" the chlorine. Gently warm water as you need it.

Also, try to avoid anything that contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, or Sodium Laureth Sulfate--they are common skin irritants found in just about every shampoo and soap--I believe they are coconut-based. Lots of people who think they have dandruff actually have a sensitivity to SLS instead.

What you might want to try for a while is soaking a cotton ball in some water (about a cup's worth) with about a teaspoon or so of glycerine (vegetable-based) mixed in and using that to clean your face instead of soap. No need to rinse. Some people add a drop of rose or lavender essential oil, and even aloe vera (if they are not allergic to it).

And of course drink lots of water, very important even in winter, especially if you are running the fireplace or don't have a source of humidity. One recommendation is half your body weight in ounces of water each day. If you drink coffee or other diuretic beverages, drink an equal amount of water to counteract the effects.

Hope this helps. :)

lanalee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have sensitive dry skin and I have paid hundreds of dollars for all kinds of creams and lotions. But I would always have breakouts, rashes, dry skin.. very irritating. Finally, I visited a dermatologist who advised me to throw out all those creams and lotions - he recommended Cetaphil for a moisturizer. I get two big containers of moisturizing cream at Costco for $10.

For a cleanser, he recommended Cetaphil cleanser. I didn't like the cleanser, so I asked him for another recommendation. He suggested Oil of Olay face wipes (for sensitive skin only).

And finally, the only foundation I have found that doesn't bother my skin is Trucco. It's hard to find, I have to get it from my hairdresser.

That was 4 years ago, and I haven't had any problems since. It took me awhile, but I finally found the skin care regimen that was right for me.

Gadabout is right about drinking lots of water. That really helps.

Gadabout

Reaction score
Oh, and another thing to look for which seems like one of those obvious things that people forget is alcohol (ouch!)--it also is in a lot of lotions and other cleansers.

If your library or bookstore has it, try getting a look at Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond. It has several recipes for skin care items that emphasize as few ingredients as possible. If you make things yourself you know exactly what is in a skin care item. Here is her website with some recipes:

http://www.care2.com/channels/lifestyle/self

(BTW, not everything needs essential oils like grapefruit seed oil if you make smaller amounts of a recipe, always use clean fingers/utensils and store appropriately).

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
The latest moiturizer I bought was by Peuvonia. It was expensive and irritating. Curel is the only moisturizer that does not irritate me. Will try Cetaphil. I need to drink more water especially living in the desert. It is so frustrating to throw money away on stuff you cannot use.

Cindy

2Blessed

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Mary Kay for 4 years,and I have not had any problems. The great thing about MK is that it is 100% guaranteed, so if it does not work for you, you can have your money refunded. You can also try before you buy. Email me privately if you would like some free samples.

Brenda

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Merle Norman Cosmetics are great! I have extremely sensitive skin and use their "Luxiva" line. You can also try before you buy at Merle Norman, and you can return anything you don't like even if you've used it for a month! They also have wonderful make-up, again you can return it if you don't like it, even if you've tried it out for a while. I agree with the other poster that said avoid anything with alcohol, it is so drying.

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Kay made me break out. Have not tried Merle Norman. It is not easy trying to be beautiful ! :p

Cindy

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dermatologist recommended 3 products to use to wash your face with: Basic, Purpose, Cetaphil. I use Cetaphil cleanser from Costco and like it. I've also use purpose moisturizer under my foundation and like it too. I've had good luck using these products for many years.

bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dermologica worked for me, the intensive moisturizer.

I use Abolene moisturizing cleanser for removing makeup and cleaning my face. I've also used Cetyphyl and loved it.

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
bailey said:
Dermologica worked for me, the intensive moisturizer.

I use Abolene moisturizing cleanser for removing makeup and cleaning my face. I've also used Cetyphyl and loved it.

Are those products you can buy at a drugstore?

bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not the dermologica...I've gotten it at a dermatologist's office and just found it this summer at a tanning salon. I'm allergic to several other skin care lines or they seem to be too watery to me.

The Abolene I bought at Walmart or Target (my 80 plus grandmother who has great looking skin recommended it). Cetyphy at Costco.

ginsun88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Philosophy based in AZ

Hi Cindy:

Have you tried the skincare line from Philosophy? I use their Purity Made Simple cleanser and Hope in a Jar moisturizer. They have a moisturizer for sensitive skin, which must be good because they're sold out at the moment, http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/product_10001_10001_-1_25589. QVC is sold out of it too but also sells it in a kit, http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp...H-_-SEARCH&txtDesc=hope+in+a+jar&SearchClass=.

They have their own website philosophy.com, and advertise on Amazon.com and on TV (QVC). Their next QVC shows are on Mon 3/6/2006 1-3 PM PT, Wed 3/8/2006 1-2 AM and 7-8 PM PT. I like to watch the shows because their product researcher & CEO, Cristina Carlino, describes the whole skincare regimen and I like to hear the testimonials...

Good luck,
Grace

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beauty of buying from QVC is you can try a product and return for a full refund if you don't like it within 30 days.

klisow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried Arbonne's anti-aging line.

I am not sure if you have heard of Arbonne or not, but they have an outstanding anti-aging skincare line for women. The products are all botanically based, and do not contain mineral oil or estee alcohols (both which are very drying to the skin.) I am not sure if you are aware of this, but mineral oil or petrolatum, is listed as a carcinogen with the World Health Organization, but is it over 90% of cosmetics in the United States. All it is, is refined crude oil. Just look on all of your skin care products and you will find it on there. All European countries have banned it in all of their cosmetics. Unfortunately, United States does not regulate the cosmetics industry.

At first, I was the usual skeptic, but have to tell you, I loved these products after trying them. They had a 45 day money back guarantee too.

O.K. I will get off of my soap box. I am very passionate about what I put on my skin. I have used the Arbonne products for the past two years and love them. I have many friends who have started using it, who have attended dermatologists for years, and they too love it. It is more pricey than over the counter cosmetics, but the entire line lasts me up to a year. The only thing that I have to purchase more than once a year is the daily moisturizer.

If you would like more information on the products, just send me a message. I would be more than willing to help you out with it.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have sensitive skin, but I do have dry skin, which becomes particularly irritating in the winters here because of the high indoor heat settings everywhere. I used to use a bunch of other expensive face cleansers. When my baby's pediatrician recommended using Cetaphil in lieu of other baby soaps because he suffers from eczema, which causes him to have dry, itchy sking, I decided to try the Cetaphil face cleanser for adults. It has worked well, never making me feel "stripped" and dry.

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
Cindy......Welcome to Arizona! I remember when you were asking questions about moving here, that is one thing we forgot to tell you. It is so dry here!

Try the Amalactin lotion that is at Costco. It is underneath the pharmacy counter away from the other skin lotions. It smells awful, but honestly will be worth it. I alternate with it and the tub of Cetaphil other posters have discussed.

This winter has been the driest I can ever remember.....and I was born here!

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
How about something to put on my face at bedtime? Anything special for guys? I guess skin is skin though. I have slightly oily skin.

Phil

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will have to give a follow up post once I try some of these products. Many of these products sounds like they would work on men too. Will have to test them on Jim. We are happy, but dry transplants from CT to Peoria,AZ.

Cindy

Buzzmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some friends and I swear by Jan Marini. The line is not cheap, but it works, so it's worth it to me. I have wasted so much $$ on skincare lines that smelled nice and had nice packaging but really didn't do much for my skin. Once my esthetician turned me on to the Jan Marini line, I was hooked. I use the C-Esta Serum and Eye Cream every day, and the Bioclear lotion every night. The Bioclear, in particular, works wonders over a few weeks to help fade brown spots and fine lines. It's a great exfoliator. C-Esta is a very good vitamin C serum which absorbs quickly and helps protect against further sun damage and free radicals. Wonderful products. They have many more to choose from, but those are the three that I use regularly. You can read about their products at their website, but their products are usually sold only at spas or online at www.lovelyskin.com.

AmyL4408

Reaction score
Tried them all..........

:D I've tried them all

Arbonne - got tired of it
Aveda - overpriced (but I do like their facials)
Clinique - too harsh
Mary Kay - I'm allergic to Mineral Oil

I finally found a system I do absolutely LOVE. Its called Rhonda Allison. I found it at a plastic surgeons office! They have products for ever day use, and also products for in office facials & peels. The starter kit I purchased had very small bottles and it was about $65 total. The starter kit lasted me about 6 weeks. Rhonda Allison has products for all skin times, and all skim problems!

I also have thought about trying Dermadoctor, but haven't yet.

Amy

Azjim66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. Noticeable difference right away and not greasy or irritating. Perfect. Next step is to try Bare Escentials makeup!