• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best RCI Resorts in Kauai , Maui or Big Island

pointhound

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of the RCI resorts in Kauai , Maui or the Big Island, which are the best in your opinion? Why would you consider it one of the best?

Thanks, Pointhound

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For us on Kauai, Pahio at the Shearwater. Outstanding resort, large and spacious accommodations and great view. Probably our best exchange ever. Have had other exchanges on Kauai, Maui and Big Island. Those, for the most part, were good, but not great.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We also feel that Shearwater outshines any of the others on the islands, but we haven't traded into the Marriotts, Hiltons or the Westin.

Shearwater units are very large, have a gorgeous ocean view and comfortable beds. The downside is the lack of decor and the need for new upholstery in the living room. Seems like such an easy fix to me. The cleaning staff needs to clean the rafters in the penthouses, too.

I would also hate to get units 106, 107 and 206, which have little to no view of the ocean. I also read in the TUG reviews that someone had a miserable time sleeping, with the hot tub right outside the bedroom door and folks not respecting the late-night "quiet voices" unwritten rule.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Second both comments. I was in Shearwater 2 weeks ago (213, overlooking the golf course), and the size of the unit is phenominal (1st or 2nd largest I've ever been in). I had no problem with the LR furniture. Some stains on carpet in 2nd bedroom, also not a big deal. I hated the 2 full beds in the 2nd BR though - the room is huge, they can't put in 2 queen's? But jacuzzi tubs in both bedrooms, full kitchen w/ Jennair grill, Sony WEGA TV, Sony DVD/vcr combo, even a real Sony stereo, plus free wireless internet, all very tough to beat.

We stayed at Pono Kai a few years ago (II exchange), which is what I thought I wanted again this trip, based on thinking I'd be better being more centrally located. However, I loved the Princeville/Hanalei area, and would definitely try for Shearwater again on a future trip.

Jeff

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of the RCI resorts in Kauai , Maui or the Big Island, which are the best in your opinion? Why would you consider it one of the best?

Thanks, Pointhound
Same question, different specifics. We're Shell (points) owners, and Shell has no property on Maui. They do have the RCI collection available. Any suggestions for a resort on Maui? We noticed the RCI catalog shows a few in Kihei, but not much else. We'd like to avoid the touristy Kaanapali area, but that's probably not critical.
Any & all suggestions are appreciated.

---Zach

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Give the Kihei area a check with RCI. Pretty decent "Middle Class" resorts and the area is much closer to the airport, mountain, etc than Kanapali.

We of course like the Maui Schooner--still the single best equipped time share we've ever experienced.

Sterling