• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best portable induction cooktop options?

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been cooking on a big induction stove top (Kuppersbusch) for over 10 years in Missouri, and I swore I would never go back to a gas range. Well, we're moving back west and just bought a home that's perfect for us, EXCEPT it has a gas range. Unfortunately, getting wiring to replace the range with an induction cooktop means busting up concrete, so I'm looking for a portable induction cooktop for now. Does anyone (looking at you, @ScoopKona) have a recommendation for a powerful portable induction cooktop? The new house is at 4,500' elevation and boiling water takes forever on the gas range while heating up the kitchen.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
The high-powered ones in the kitchens always ran on 220v. Gastrogear and Vollrath are the two most common brands I saw at work. But, most places where I worked used the stainless steel Duxtop portable. (I have several of those here at the farm.)

I would try that first -- see if 1800 watts is enough. If not, return it to Amazon. They aren't expensive and they're quite robust.

This is how I fry things -- portable induction, extension cord, cast iron dutch oven, outside. No mess and no smell that way.

It's also how I keep things warm in a professional setting. And I'm thinking of getting a round-bottom induction for stir-fry, which I do often enough to warrant the purchase.

If you need more power, WebstaurantStore.com will at least give you a place to start looking.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @ScoopKona. I’ve looked at the Duxtops online and they have good reviews, but I appreciate your real world experience. I’ll give the 9600LS a try.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Thanks, @ScoopKona. I’ve looked at the Duxtops online and they have good reviews, but I appreciate your real world experience. I’ll give the 9600LS a try.

I have one of those. (bought it at a thrift in Santa Barbara on our last wine country trip). And it is functionally identical to the stainless. The stainless one is far more robust. I wouldn't think twice about frying a turkey with one. Is that worth another $50? (There isn't a good emoji for "shrugs shoulders and says 'eh?' like Larry David.") :shrug:

Hopefully you can get this at Walmart or Amazon so if it doesn't boil water fast enough you can return it and go shopping for something with more firepower. (but it really should -- that's what they're best at)

Since you had one before, you probably already have all the cookware you need. And do try frying outside with one. It's a game changer. One of the first commercial activities for this farm will be buffalo chicken with my grown here, made here, fermented here pepper sauce. I'll sell them on NFL days -- takeaway only.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m cooking on a five hob (2,200w, three 2,800w, and a 3,600w) cooktop now. I love the power and precision of induction. Plus it’s much easier to keep spotless than a big gas range. I’m just hoping a 1,800w portable won’t feel *too* anemic. I briefly considered Breville’s Control Freak, but it’s still only 1,800w (and 15X the cost of the Duxtop.

And I like the idea of using the cooktop outside for messy/odoriferous foods!

Thanks again.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I have 2 Salton 1800w single burner portable induction burners. I think I got them at Costco. I bought the first one to take to our apartment in Belize since cooking on the gas (butane) stove really heated up the kitchen. I loved the speed and lack of room heat so much I bought a second one to use for camping or at home when it's too hot to cook indoors.
I would love to have a whole induction cook top instead of gas.

~Diane

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
interesting that I’ve been looking for a portable gas cooktop for our Scottsdale house. We have an induction stovetop there but my wife likes gas.

Where are you moving to Pam?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’re giving Reno, NV a try, @buzglyd! When we lived in San Francisco, we used to spend a lot of time in Tahoe, so sort of know the area. But, oh my! It has changed!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We’re giving Reno, NV a try, @buzglyd! When we lived in San Francisco, we used to spend a lot of time in Tahoe, so sort of know the area. But, oh my! It has changed!
Shorter flights to Cabo now!