• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Pool @ Hawaiian Timeshare

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
I am currently waiting to pass ROFR on a big subsidized Aulani contract and just love the pool. My only issue with Aulani is Oahu is such a busy island. What I would love is to hear your opinions on what timeshare resort in Hawaii had the best Pool complex. I would love to hear of one that matches or is possible even nicer than Aulani. I am looking to add a another couple weeks in my portfolio at a resort on a different island than Maui although hearing about other Oahu properties would be ok too. I also would like it if that resort had rental potential to help with Maintenance fees as I'm still about 15 years from retirement. Anyway let's hear all your opinions on great pools in the great state of Hawaii.

PS I just joined and this is my first post so Hello to everyone!

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Aulani so can't compare directly, but the pools are HGVC Kings Land are pretty nice. You also have access to the pools at the Hilton Waikoloa for no fee, which also has good pools/slides.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Depends on the age. I like the pool at Point at Poipu because it's big, and has 2 marked lanes for swimming laps. Parents of little ones like it because it's sandy around most of the pool, and slopes off very gently. A large section of it is less than 3 feet, so kids can play with boogies boards and inner tubes. I doesn't have any water slides or other special features, but it does have a great bar and grill. My grandkids would rather stay there all day than go to the beach.

1594873980185.png

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
duplicate

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am currently waiting to pass ROFR on a big subsidized Aulani contract and just love the pool. My only issue with Aulani is Oahu is such a busy island. What I would love is to hear your opinions on what timeshare resort in Hawaii had the best Pool complex. I would love to hear of one that matches or is possible even nicer than Aulani. I am looking to add a another couple weeks in my portfolio at a resort on a different island than Maui although hearing about other Oahu properties would be ok too. I also would like it if that resort had rental potential to help with Maintenance fees as I'm still about 15 years from retirement. Anyway let's hear all your opinions on great pools in the great state of Hawaii.

PS I just joined and this is my first post so Hello to everyone!
I'm curious about the term 'subsidized'?

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
I'm curious about the term 'subsidized'?
It refers to the maintenance fees which are usually 8.33$ point. Disney made "mistakes" when they first sold the resort and told owners the fees would be much lower than what they actually needed to be. They were made to give owners of these original contracts a discount that works out to be about 33% off (6.20$ / point). The subsidy follows the contract if sold. I was looking for about a year to find one of these contracts.

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
I haven't been to Aulani so can't compare directly, but the pools are HGVC Kings Land are pretty nice. You also have access to the pools at the Hilton Waikoloa for no fee, which also has good pools/slides.
Yes I am definitely interested in Kings Land.

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
Depends on the age. I like the pool at Point at Poipu because it's big, and has 2 marked lanes for swimming laps. Parents of little ones like it because it's sandy around most of the pool, and slopes off very gently. A large section of it is less than 3 feet, so kids can play with boogies boards and inner tubes. I doesn't have any water slides or other special features, but it does have a great bar and grill. My grandkids would rather stay there all day than go to the beach.

View attachment 23653
Wow that is a really nice pool. This is why i posted here. In my numerous google searches i have never come across this resort. Thanks for the picture.

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani

View attachment 23653
I imagine theres great surfing close by too.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Aulani in my opinion has the best timeshare pool complex. Only one with a lazy river and the longest pool slide for hawaii timeshares.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I imagine theres great surfing close by too.
I wouldn't say the surfing is great. The locals do it, but there's a rocky bottom, so it's not recommended for the inexperienced. Kauai has some good surf spots, but not many on the south side. The pool is just on the other side of the lowest building in this picture.

1594891140939.png

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

I also like the pools at Kings Lands, and at least when i have been there its been easy to find empty chairs..

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Surprised no mention of Marriott Kauai pool, it's pretty impressive. I'll try to find a photo.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
1594915356149.png

Hanalei Bay Resort pool with view of Bali Hai, pretty nice!

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I have not been to any Hawaii timeshares so correct me if I'm wrong, but based on pictures, the pool complexes of timeshares in Florida and Mexico are far superior to Hawaii. Of course, Hawaii has a different level of natural beauty going for it.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
No offense to anyone, but one does not usually go to Hawaii for the pools. The natural beauty, the weather, and the ocean (and surfing) are the usual suspects. . . .

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
No offense to anyone, but one does not usually go to Hawaii for the pools. The natural beauty, the weather, and the ocean (and surfing) are the usual suspects. . . .
You can still have a beautiful pool in addition to the natural beauty, weather and ocean. The HBR also has the swim up "Ukulele bar".

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
based on pictures, the pool complexes of timeshares in Florida and Mexico are far superior to Hawaii. Of course, Hawaii has a different level of natural beauty going for it.

Our ratio of ocean/hiking/etc. to pool time is much higher in Hawaii than it is most other places. I suspect that is true for most people. So a resort developer might not put as much into the pool complexes in Hawaii as they might in Central Florida where the nearest beach is a healthy drive and half the year is oppressively hot and humid.

That said, the Hilton Waikoloa complex is something else.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I do not go on vacations in exotic locations, to just sit at the pool. I can do that much closer to home. Since I am a scuba diver, I am wanting to get into the BIG pool (AKA Ocean) as often as possible.

wilma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not go on vacations in exotic locations, to just sit at the pool. I can do that much closer to home. Since I am a scuba diver, I am wanting to get into the BIG pool (AKA Ocean) as often as possible.
I don’t go on vacations to just sit at a pool either but can still enjoy a beautiful pool. Love coming out of the ocean from swimming, snorkeling, or scuba diving and jumping in a pool. And while drying off I enjoy a pool that has a nice view.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We had a pool at home so a pool wasn't that important to us. We (at least dh and I) preferred going to the beach. And our dds loved the ocean. But they also loved the pool. There were a few years where they preferred that to the ocean.

One year we had a gap night between timeshares so I thought it would be fun to stay at the Hilton Waikoloa. Our dds got bored with the pools in a few hours.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It refers to the maintenance fees which are usually 8.33$ point. Disney made "mistakes" when they first sold the resort and told owners the fees would be much lower than what they actually needed to be. They were made to give owners of these original contracts a discount that works out to be about 33% off (6.20$ / point). The subsidy follows the contract if sold. I was looking for about a year to find one of these contracts.

Is that 33% reduction permanent, or does it end at a specified point?
How / where did you find this type of contract?

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
Retracted rude comment

Last edited:

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
I also like the pools at Kings Lands, and at least when i have been there its been easy to find empty chairs..
That's actually really important in the ranking of pools. Can you use them?

Longshoren

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Lake Tower
Aulani
Our ratio of ocean/hiking/etc. to pool time is much higher in Hawaii than it is most other places. I suspect that is true for most people. So a resort developer might not put as much into the pool complexes in Hawaii as they might in Central Florida where the nearest beach is a healthy drive and half the year is oppressively hot and humid.

That said, the Hilton Waikoloa complex is something else.

Definitely makes
Replaced with I'm actually jealous I never tried scuba diving.

Last edited: