• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

best place to visit Cancun if on your own? / AI confusion

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am planning to visit the cancun area for the first two weeks in December.

I see lots of availability in RCI and II.

But especially with RCI I am compeltely confused with all the mandatory All Inclusive fees.

I have seen lots of resort where RCI says something like " AI $ 3,000 per week per room which covers up to 4 people"

As I will be going alone such an AI arrangement would be a waste of a lot of money.

II online resort directory does not say anything about mandatory All Inclusive, correct? (at least I did not find something)
Are their resorts not mandatory AI at all?

Which of the better Cancun resorts would you recommend that eiher charge AI per person at a reasonable rate (significantly below $ 100) or could be used comfortably self catering or eating out (and allow the rooms to be occupied by only one person)?

I like a lot magnificent grounds, great pools and very comfortable sunbeds, loungy and relaxed character of a resort.

Thanks a lot for!

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not do AI at all, but go to Cancun frequently.
To the best of my knowledge, you have to pay for 2 persons even if you are only one!
Try Imperial Fiesta Casa Maya or Royal Mayan.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of discussion on this board about AI vs going on your own in Cancun. Of course there are supporters of both options. One point that is frequently made is that there are many, many good restaurants in the Cancun area, and prices are reasonable. I don't know that I'd want to be (or feel) stuck at the same place for two weeks because I had already pre-paid for my food. On the other hand, if the AI fee is per person, and if I was a big eater and drinker, and especially if it included some tours, then it could be a good option.

If you decide not to go AI, seriously consider any of the Royal Resorts: Club Internacional de Cancun, The Royal Mayan, The Royal Caribbean, The Royal Islander, The Royal Sands, or, in Playa del Carmen, The Royal Haciendas. All have nice grounds, great pools, comfortable sunbeds, and are loungy and relaxed. Service is great, and guests and staff are friendly. Once you are at one, you have use of them all.

My preference is for any of the Tri-Royals (Mayan, Caribbean, and Islander) - they are adjacent, and give you lots of very nice pools and restaurants and a very good take-out to choose from. The Sands is also a great choice. Advantages include nice pools, an excellent on-site spa, and being in walking distance to one of Cancun's malls and some restaurants. (The Sands has a take-out like the Tris, has fewer restaurants on-site but many nearby.)

The villas are essentially the same at all except Club Internacional. If you can get a 1 bedroom suite, vs the 1 bedroom lockoff, you will have a big terrace, comfortable living room, and nice kitchen in addition to the bedroom.

Look at http://www.royalresorts.com for lots of information, virtual reality, and pictures, and also http://www.mexicondo.com for lots more pictures.

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
sorry, pjrose, I did not read the OP well...I only saw RCI. Of course, all of the Royals are naturally my first choice!!

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
There's been a lot of discussion on this board about AI vs going on your own in Cancun. Of course there are supporters of both options. One point that is frequently made is that there are many, many good restaurants in the Cancun area, and prices are reasonable. I don't know that I'd want to be (or feel) stuck at the same place for two weeks because I had already pre-paid for my food. On the other hand, if the AI fee is per person, and if I was a big eater and drinker, and especially if it included some tours, then it could be a good option.

If you decide not to go AI, seriously consider any of the Royal Resorts: Club Internacional de Cancun, The Royal Mayan, The Royal Caribbean, The Royal Islander, The Royal Sands, or, in Playa del Carmen, The Royal Haciendas. All have nice grounds, great pools, comfortable sunbeds, and are loungy and relaxed. Service is great, and guests and staff are friendly. Once you are at one, you have use of them all.

My preference is for any of the Tri-Royals (Mayan, Caribbean, and Islander) - they are adjacent, and give you lots of very nice pools and restaurants and a very good take-out to choose from. The Sands is also a great choice. Advantages include nice pools, an excellent on-site spa, and being in walking distance to one of Cancun's malls and some restaurants. (The Sands has a take-out like the Tris, has fewer restaurants on-site but many nearby.)

The villas are essentially the same at all except Club Internacional. If you can get a 1 bedroom suite, vs the 1 bedroom lockoff, you will have a big terrace, comfortable living room, and nice kitchen in addition to the bedroom.

Look at http://www.royalresorts.com for lots of information, virtual reality, and pictures, and also http://www.mexicondo.com for lots more pictures.

Hi PJROSE,

You seem to know a lot about the Royal's. Which do you think has the best swimming beach ? We are not really into pools but love the ocean ! Any of them have great snorkeling near by?

Thanks for the info!!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of Cancun's beach suffered hurricane damage a few years ago. Much of the beach sand washed away, and a number of large rocks were exposed. The government pumped back a lot of sand several years ago; the replacement sand was not as soft as the original sand. Much of that has washed away too so now there is less of an area for just lying on the beach. This is true pretty much all up and down the east-facing part of Cancun's beach (i.e. most of the big hotels and resorts, including the Royal Sands and the Tri-Royals).

The Tri-Royals are adjacent and share one long strip of beach, and the Sands is down a few miles, so there's really not much difference. There are generally openings between the big rocks so you can walk out into the water and swim or jump around in the waves. The water is sometimes fairly surfy - probably too much for a small child, but fine for teens or adults who like surfy water.

Club Internacional de Cancun (formerly known as VCI) is around a bend and on a north-facing shore. There was no hurricane damage. The sand is soft and the water is very shallow and flat, great for small kids but maybe boring for those who like waves. You can walk out a long way and it's very swimmable.

The beach at the Royal Haciendas, in Playa del Carmen, is on a coral reef - you can snorkel immediately as you walk in to the water. It's quite shallow, with the coral and sea plants perhaps 2 feet, at most, underneath the water surface. A bit further out it gets deep enough to swim without worrying about bumping into the coral.

PJ