• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Option for HIVC Level Upgrade - Own 2 already

GrowYourBiz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Clu Vacation
My wife and I are currently in a presidential unit at Holiday Inn club in Sheradon Illinois.

We own a two bedroom unit which was originally a fixed week with Silverleaf before HIVC took over.

We ended up purchasing into the points system last year by acquiring 55000 point in the signature collection For roughly $13500.

When we did this, our already owned week was brought into the points system as well giving us 145,000, giving us a combined 200,000 annual points.

When we bought, they have us a 100,000 points bonus for the fi St year to try out the preferred level (300,000), which is actually how I got this 4 night stay in a presidential with the free complimentary stay.

To make a long story short, we like the perk of having a complimentary stay as well as the free annual upgrade which I used to get a 2 bedroom in Orlando over New year's for the points cost of a one bedroom.

Soooo, today we were offered to upgrade to a 155,000 point ownership for right around $25,000 in order to get us in at 300,000 points and preferred status, which gives us the free upgrade and trip every year. They will use the equity in the 55000 signature ownership and apply it to the balance but well no longer have our account "signature'ized".

I liked the idea of having the preferred status for those trip perks that don't require points, but in the end I decided against it, though I kept thinking about going back for it all day.

Then I stumbled across this forum and starting consuming as much as possible to better equip myself and started reading ab9ut the resale market.

So here's the ask:

Is there a way to buy resale and use that to level up to preferred status or must I buy directly from HIVC to get those perks?

To give you an idea of how I use what we already have, here are this year's trips.

Mexico (Mazatlan) for 10 days (out of pocket via Airbnb)
Sheradon, IL for 4 nights (complimentary stay)
Orlando next week for 7 days through RCI
Lake Geneva, WI for 3 nights with points in HIVC resort
Orlando, Fl for 7 nights for new year using free upgrade from 1 bedroom to 2 in HIVC resort.

Lastly, if I already own 200k with holiday inn, does itakeore sense to look at buying into a different TS system via resale?

Appreciate your help.

This community has already been of incredible value with everything I'm learning.

sehansen2

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV - Cape Canaveral
HICV - Lake Geneva
HICV - Marco Island
A couple years ago HICV changed their rules around converting resale timeshares into their system to count towards status. Now there is not a good way to buy resale and use that to level up to preferred status. You can buy resale and then HICV will convert them to status IF you also buy from HICV. I forget the new rules they put on that transaction, but it's not a good deal. It's better to just buy points resale (at points only resorts) and forget about status. You'll get much more value using your money that way. Spending $25,000 on something so that you can get 3 'free' nights a year doesn't make a lot of sense. Put that $25,000 into the bank and book a nice resort every year for 3 nights and you'll still have money in the bank after 25 years.

Until they change their developer costs (which they won't), I would never recommend buying from HICV - and we like our HICV timeshares!

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
A couple years ago HICV changed their rules around converting resale timeshares into their system to count towards status. Now there is not a good way to buy resale and use that to level up to preferred status. You can buy resale and then HICV will convert them to status IF you also buy from HICV. I forget the new rules they put on that transaction, but it's not a good deal. It's better to just buy points resale (at points only resorts) and forget about status. You'll get much more value using your money that way. Spending $25,000 on something so that you can get 3 'free' nights a year doesn't make a lot of sense. Put that $25,000 into the bank and book a nice resort every year for 3 nights and you'll still have money in the bank after 25 years.

Until they change their developer costs (which they won't), I would never recommend buying from HICV - and we like our HICV timeshares!
100% Agree with everything you said. Im an owner as well who loves the system but do not recommend buying

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own at OL not at the Presidential Level.
We convert our HIVC points to IHG and have had lot of hotel stays to go with our timeshare weeks.
Next month we are doing that, staying at a hotel 4 nights before heading to a timeshare vacation.
We also booked a two night stay at HIVC at Cape Canaveral in September . 2 bedroom using points we kept in HIVC account.
We bought a resale and it’s been great!
Silentg

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at OL not at the Presidential Level.
We convert our HIVC points to IHG and have had lot of hotel stays to go with our timeshare weeks.
Next month we are doing that, staying at a hotel 4 nights before heading to a timeshare vacation.
We also booked a two night stay at HIVC at Cape Canaveral in September . 2 bedroom using points we kept in HIVC account.
We bought a resale and it’s been great!
Silentg

Do you keep track of what your cost per IHG points are? My HICV maintenance is pretty low, but when you take into account the 5:4 conversion and conversion fees, my cost is higher than the $5.75/1K in IHG points you can purchase with a Points+Cash reservation (20K points for $115, which you keep if you cancel the reservation). There was recently a 20% off special on Points+Cash, making the cost $4.60/1K and IHG points often go on sale in May for $5/1K, so $5.75/1K is a worst case scenario.

-Scott
Owner, HICV Tapatalk Group

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes We keep track. We just stayed 3 nights at Candlewood Suites 15,000 points a night.
Using HIVC to stay 2 nights at Cape Canaveral Resort in September.
We are at Oak and Spruce on an RCI 14 TPU exchange.
Love our timeshares!
Retirement has arrived!
Silentg

SMOKE01

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just wanted to get a little more info on the HIVC resale points. I'm a little confused. Last year in July my wife and I visited Orange lake as guests of my brother in law. While there we went to a sales presentation and really like the whole idea of the point system. I was a little hesitant to purchase without really doing any research but my wife was really trilled by the whole thing. So just to get a feel for it we purchase 50000 points at 11500. We were told we could always upgrade later on if we really liked it. Anyway when we return home I started to look into it and found out about the resale opportunities that are available. So I rescinded my contract and began looking into resales online. I found a resale at the myrtle beach resort which to my understanding I could maintain using the points. The purchase was transferred to me in December of last year. The closing agent informed me that all I would have to do is wait and HIVC would contact me. Some time in March of this year they contacted me to go down for a new owner orientation. I thought great, I'll go and get everything started. We got back yesterday and it was not what we expected. When we arrived at the orientation we were told to have a seat and someone would be with us. As we waited a woman introduced herself and told us that they were checking on something to please give her a few more minutes. Anyway 20 minutes passed, she returned not looking so pleasant this time and said you purchase a resale and there were problems when purchasing resales. That I would not be able to use the points, that all I have is the deeded week unless I ethier give them back the deed and they will use the equity towards a new purchase as a down payment, which was a now or never deal or purchase a large amount of points later on to bring in the points I purchased from the myrtle beach resort. Knowing that they were not truthful, I declined their offers. My question is what now. How do I start using the points. Do I call them up. Any information is really appreciated. Sorry for being so long.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just wanted to get a little more info on the HIVC resale points. I'm a little confused. Last year in July my wife and I visited Orange lake as guests of my brother in law. While there we went to a sales presentation and really like the whole idea of the point system. I was a little hesitant to purchase without really doing any research but my wife was really trilled by the whole thing. So just to get a feel for it we purchase 50000 points at 11500. We were told we could always upgrade later on if we really liked it. Anyway when we return home I started to look into it and found out about the resale opportunities that are available. So I rescinded my contract and began looking into resales online. I found a resale at the myrtle beach resort which to my understanding I could maintain using the points. The purchase was transferred to me in December of last year. The closing agent informed me that all I would have to do is wait and HIVC would contact me. Some time in March of this year they contacted me to go down for a new owner orientation. I thought great, I'll go and get everything started. We got back yesterday and it was not what we expected. When we arrived at the orientation we were told to have a seat and someone would be with us. As we waited a woman introduced herself and told us that they were checking on something to please give her a few more minutes. Anyway 20 minutes passed, she returned not looking so pleasant this time and said you purchase a resale and there were problems when purchasing resales. That I would not be able to use the points, that all I have is the deeded week unless I ethier give them back the deed and they will use the equity towards a new purchase as a down payment, which was a now or never deal or purchase a large amount of points later on to bring in the points I purchased from the myrtle beach resort. Knowing that they were not truthful, I declined their offers. My question is what now. How do I start using the points. Do I call them up. Any information is really appreciated. Sorry for being so long.
This is just despicable!
Whonwas responsibile for 2019 maintenance fees?
Have you checked if the transaction is recorded in the jurisdiction (county?) of purchase?
Do you use social media? The Holiday Inn Club Lounge Page on a social media platform is monitored by the company. You may encounter the same hostility, so I recommend that you stick to the I am a new owner, purchased points at Myrtle Beach in December 2018, and want to know how to access and use my points...

SMOKE01

Reaction score
I paid the 2019 mf and the transaction was recorded in same county. I guess I'll take your advice and keep it simple. Thanks.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I paid the 2019 mf and the transaction was recorded in same county. I guess I'll take your advice and keep it simple. Thanks.

You should be able to get to the owners page as a points owner and set up your account. Everything should show up on your purchase.
Go to this owners link and try.

https://members.holidayinnclub.com/home

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get to the owners page as a points owner and set up your account. Everything should show up on your purchase.
Go to this owners link and try.

https://members.holidayinnclub.com/home
Exactly. I purchased s resale at myrle beach and i have full use of the points. I did get the previous years points transferred as well but that took some work. I had received the deed and it took some time to get the resort to recognize the transfer but once that was done, i got the website username and password set up. You shouldn't have to go to a high pressure sales presentation

SMOKE01

Reaction score
I went on the website about three days ago and I couldn't log on. So I called and was told that they had to look into it and to call back in 72 hours. I just got off the phone with them and was told there was a issue with the account and was going expedited it to someone higher up. They told me that everything seem fine that I had the points and there were no fees owed. But could not see why there was a hold on the account. So I guess I'll wait and see. Thanks everyone for the advice, I really do appreciate it.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes We keep track. We just stayed 3 nights at Candlewood Suites 15,000 points a night.
Using HIVC to stay 2 nights at Cape Canaveral Resort in September.
We are at Oak and Spruce on an RCI 14 TPU exchange.
Love our timeshares!
Retirement has arrived!
Silentg

45K IHG points cost $259 at $5.75/1K without owning any HICV points ($115/20K P+C book and cancel). Is your HICV cost for these points less?

Shap

Reaction score
Is there a way to buy resale and use that to level up to preferred status or must I buy directly from HIVC to get those perks?

Yes, it is possible. I was able to do this successfully between last year and this year (2018-2019). I bought my second resale points unit last year and this past May 2019, I was able to convert up with a small purchase. I doubt it would be easy to repeat because of many variables, but I did prove it was possible.

I posted the details here:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/holiday-inn-club-vacations-owner-update.280529/

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
I went on the website about three days ago and I couldn't log on. So I called and was told that they had to look into it and to call back in 72 hours. I just got off the phone with them and was told there was a issue with the account and was going expedited it to someone higher up. They told me that everything seem fine that I had the points and there were no fees owed. But could not see why there was a hold on the account. So I guess I'll wait and see. Thanks everyone for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
Did you ever get this worked out with them?