• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best # of (resale) points?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying HGV points at Boulevard. The MF looks like the resort has low per-point compared to others. My question is, how many points would be a good starting point to get 5 days in a single bedroom at many US resorts, not including Orlando? I understand most timeshares require Friday or Saturday check-in, which is fine. I don't want to buy a certain amount, only to find a resort I want needs more. I am also OK with at least one week at Boulevard.

Also, does MF and HGV transfer/opening fees count as hotel charges on an AmEx Hilton Aspire (or other Hilton) card?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I would suggest that you look at the points guide in the MF sticky to see the point requirements at different properties, units, and days. The points are different for a weekend versus a weekday and different for various 1 bedroom types.

You can check in any day unless you are using a homeweek, which many rarely do, except high demand locations... If they own there.

MF's at many resorts do count as resort charges, so you get the 14x and $250 resort credit, but not all. Look for the TUG thread that discusses that. Boulevard does. Transfer fees don't.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
One note. OP mentions 5 days stays and then mentions "Friday or Saturday check-in." The specific-day check-in is only required on Home Week reservations and does not apply to Club reservations.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I would look at the charts and see if an annual 1 bdrm Blvd or Paradise for 7680 or 8000 points would work. Depends on how many visits you want per year and the specific resort. That would get you about 2 long weekends at the older resorts. You can also borrow points from future years if you are short and use open season to augment.

You could pick up one of these for less than $4k. If you want an 11,200 point unit which is the start for a family 2 bdrm unit, those will run $5000 - $8000 all in.

The newer resorts like Maui, LaPacifica, Grand Islander etc. require a lot more points.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
One clarifying thought, transfer fees may count for a resort charge but it depends on where. If it is just billed by Hilton, like many US based resorts are, then it may not but if it is billed by an international property, then it may. Our purchase, MFs, and point activation counted for resort charges for Craig Lodges.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
What resorts of HGVC do you find appealing to travel to and what time of year?

Honestly, without taking acquisition costs into account, by the time you get done paying MF's (min $900-1000/yr), Club dues (about $200/yr) and a reservation fee of about $65 (unless you are making a Home Week res), I'm not sure its worth buying into HGVC if you're only looking to use 5 nights a year.

drucifer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Enclave
What resorts of HGVC do you find appealing to travel to and what time of year?

Honestly, without taking acquisition costs into account, by the time you get done paying MF's (min $900-1000/yr), Club dues (about $200/yr) and a reservation fee of about $65 (unless you are making a Home Week res), I'm not sure its worth buying into HGVC if you're only looking to use 5 nights a year.
I'd argue that for an all-in cost of $1265, (using your numbers), it's well worth it. Especially since we can put our daughter on the sofabed in a door-separated room, and not have her in the same bedroom as it would be in a hotel when we vacation (wink-wink).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
As mentioned above, the biggest question is where you want to go. If you want Vegas, South Carolina, Carlsbad, Chicago or the Big Island of Hawaii, 7680 would be perfect. If you want Oahu (most places) or Maui, I would say no less than 11200. If you are thinking NYC, then you will probably want to go the Hilton Club route (all inclusive option and longer booking windows in the Hilton Club), probably at W57th. Remember, in HGVC (the original system), the shortest stat you can book is 3 nights.

Note, if you want any of Hilton Vacation Club properties (former DRI), you will have to purchase in the collection the resorts you want to go to are in.

I also believe that you will always want more points so I suggest buying a little more than you think you will need.

Last edited:

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd argue that for an all-in cost of $1265, (using your numbers), it's well worth it. Especially since we can put our daughter on the sofabed in a door-separated room, and not have her in the same bedroom as it would be in a hotel when we vacation (wink-wink).

I‘d guess to pickup a low MF contract they would also be looking at $2000-4000 in purchase and closing/activation fees costs/activity. Going mid range there and using $3000, if you amortize that over 10 years you’re up another $300/year. That brings the nightly rate for 5 nights to about $325/night. I’ve seen HGVC rates available on Hilton.com at the same time we were on some stays well below that. Theres also the issue of trying not to end up with a small amount of points at the end of the year and having to pay to roll them over or lose them. Ideally the OP would be borrowing from future years for free if they decide to buy.

We really don’t know enough about how they want to use them which is why I wrote my first sentence.

Reaction score
Well, for the foreseeable future, 5-6 days at an HGV resort somewhere in the Continental (no HI, AK, or international).With my Hilton Aspire card, a $1300 annual fee = 22,100 Hilton points, which is a couple days at many Hilton hotels, plus an annual free night. Add in the $250/year resort (incl HGV) credit. On paper, it looks like a pretty good deal, and I don't count the purchase/transfer fees because they are paid up front and don't apply afterwards.

TS

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Well, for the foreseeable future, 5-6 days at an HGV resort somewhere in the Continental (no HI, AK, or international).With my Hilton Aspire card, a $1300 annual fee = 22,100 Hilton points, which is a couple days at many Hilton hotels, plus an annual free night. Add in the $250/year resort (incl HGV) credit. On paper, it looks like a pretty good deal, and I don't count the purchase/transfer fees because they are paid up front and don't apply afterwards.

TS
A platinum 1 bedroom (7680 points) would be perfect. That would give you up to a week in a standard 1 bedroom in the platinum season.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Please note You don't buy pts at HGVC BUT weeks at HGVC resorts AND then you can use points from those week to make reservations at other HGVC resorts. The reason this is important is that HGVC maintenance fees (MFs) are based on the resort and size of the unit. So a Platinum week and a gold week pay the same MFs but the platinum week will generate a lot more points.

If you buy an one bedroom, platinum week at almost any HGVC resort (like the ones in Vegas) you'll have enough pts to receive a one bed week at most ( not all) of the HGVC resorts.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TS

Just be aware that there are rumors of some changes to the Aspire which would raise the AF and tweak some of the benefits. I'm not sure where you're finding Hilton hotel stays for 11,000 pts/night. I rarely see anything under 35,000-50,000 pts/night.

Not that I always stick to this, but I tend to try to travel off/shoulder season (Gold) which usually require about 70% of peak weeks (Platinum) and favor weeknights over weekend nights as they are half the points. If you have some flexibility with your timing, you could manage a couple of 4 or 5 day stays in a 1BR and maybe even more if you could do a Studio on one of the stays. If you spend some time in the Resort points chart you might be able to determine what would be the "right" amount of points to target. YMMV