• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Marriott Hilton Head to Stay in Jan

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an AC to use and looking at one of the Marriotts in Hilton Head the 2nd week of January. Right now I am leaning towards Grand Ocean, but having never been there does anyone have an opinion on any of the Marriotts that time of the year? Indoor pool is a must.

Thanks,

Chuck

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I really think any of the Marriott's on HHI would be fine from what we saw when we were that last May. Prefering to be on the ocean, I'd say GO or Barony are very nice. While a little ways off the ocean Surfwatch looked like a wonderful resort and would be right up at the top of my list for a Marriott HHI exchange.

I know that Barony has a nice indoor pool and we enjoyed the resort overall. I would assume that both Surfwatch and Grand Ocean would both have indoor pools as well. I'm not so certain about Harbor View or Shelter Cove having indoor pools as I believe they are older resorts on the island.

If you click on the picture below it should take you to our photo album of Barony. If not click on the link in my signature below and it will take you to our Webshot's page of all our photo albums.

dive-in

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
GO definitely has an indoor pool right at the center of the resort and it also has an outdoor heated pool. The indoor pool is about the size of most hotel pools. Nothing like the outdoor pools but at least it's there. It's the only Marriott resort on HHI we've been to so I can't speak to the availability of an indoor pool at the other resorts.

GO has the convenience of being very close to Sea Pines, Harbor Towne, and South Beach. You get bike and car passes into Sea Pines. Head the other way and you're a short distance from Coligny Circle and all the shops there. We usually bike all over that end of the island. Convenient with gas prices what they are.

We were at GO the week after Christmas a few years back. It was our first trip to HHI and an indoor pool was a primary decision point. We are glad we chose GO. We'll be back at GO in two weeks!! :cheer: Our third trip in 5 years there.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been to Grande Ocean and Barony and toured Surfwatch.

Surfwatch has the best units. They also have 3BRs.

Grande Ocean has the best location (by far) given its proximity to Coligny Circle and Sea Pines Plantation. Indoor pool isn't great. New fitness room is nice. Rooms are all refurbished, but not everything in them got upgraded (some furniture, etc.).

Barony has nice units, but you need to get ocean side or view to be near everything. Barony has the best indoor pool. They also have a nice spa with full service if that's important to you.

I'd still take Grande Ocean regardless of the season.

mlfrancis

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
SurfWatch

SurfWatch has a beautiful indoor pool facility and it's the newest Marriott on HH. We've stayed at BB, GO, and bought at SW. We prefer the private location of SW, but the others are great as well - Barony has the spa, GO has the central location. But they're all within 5 minutes of each other. You really can't go wrong.

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Everyone, thanks for the quick responses! It's really appreciated. I guess I will try Grande Ocean.

Cheers,

Chuck

Upcoming:

Nov 2008 - Frenchman's Cove
Jan 2008 - GrandeOcean
Apr 2008 - Ocean Watch

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We liked GO and BB. I hope you are luckly enough to exchange in to an ocean front villas as either resort. The views of the ocean are breath taking.

Good luck and enjoy your week.