• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Locations and Timeshares to Own for Rental

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread and I tried searching. I have read on TUG that the best timeshares to rent out are based on:
1) Popular Locations such as Hawaii, Caribbean in winter
2) Disney points (most resorts)
3) Prime ski weeks
4) President's day week
5) Christmas and New Years in most locations but some are hotter than others
6) Spring Break in some locations
7) Easter week
8) Thanksgiving week
9) Summers in some locations like Europe

Does anyone have a list of the best renters and what the average rent is in high seasons ie. where can you get 50% to 100% more than MF?

Kapolei

Reaction score
Ten or fifteen years ago, the internet was a great place to share golden tips. Now, every post in a forum is a potential broadcast to the entire planet.

I am not saying people shouldn’t keep sharing. Just don’t expect any golden nuggets.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Ten or fifteen years ago, the internet was a great place to share golden tips. Now, every post in a forum is a potential broadcast to the entire planet.

I am not saying people shouldn’t keep sharing. Just don’t expect any golden nuggets.
Agree with this.

There is a lot of good information on the board already - you just need to keep reading, and be able to read between the lines. You can also reach out to others who rent and ask them questions via PM's.

Edit to add another thought: A question that others may be willing to answer is what locations are *not* good renters. People probably won't mind helping you avoid making a mistake. That said, I only rent to friends so I have no idea about the rental market.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
California coast in the summer. I rent my Carlsbad Inn for close to double the maintenance fee.

But, down the road at Seapointe you would get less.

The buy in on a good renter is also much higher so you would need to figure your break even.

I stole my Carlsbad Inn week but that is not likely to happen again.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I agree with the others

Rule of thumb high demand weeks are when kids are not in school and families can travel.

Other factors matter you have mentioned also.

Heck I have found a way to profit in Orlando. One of the hardest markets due to so many choices.

The other weeks can be had at or below MF cost normally week owners have these, and for some reason can't travel so getting something for the week can help.

As a points owner I always take out pointshield and will turn it in getting my points back vs loosing money. i also know not to reserve anything off season unless it is special order.
One thing nice about being a POints owner is we can make reservations for as long as one wants starting , stopping any day of the week at the same location with only one reservation.
So this could be helpful if your system allows this.

A person who rents successfully has done plenty of homework.
Knowledge is power!

Good luck!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Cool, from these posts, I have gotten a glimmer of new ideas for renting and profiting. I need to read between the lines. I understand those who have spent years learning these strategies may not want to give away their secrets so easily. The good news is it sounds like their is a strategy to success by renting out timeshares.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely right about learning from years of experience. I hope it doesn't hurt the feelings of Tuggers that ask for specific informations on renting. Knowledge is power and it usually costs a good amount to get the knowledge. I don't like sharing the power on the how to rent like a boss questions.
I have found the best example is finding out what the market will bear.