• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best hotels for travel package, Cat 7 or 8?

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We are looking at possibilities for booking our next travel package, and would love some suggestions. We have already used one at Marriott Champs Elysees, and at Grand Flora in Rome. Loved them both, but would enjoy a new location if the hotel is really special. Also, we weren't platinum on that trip, so if there are any with spectacular, scenic breakfast buffets or great upgrades, that would be a plus.

We are open to anywhere in the world, and since we are both now retired, have no time constraints. We also will take longer now to earn our next travel package, so are looking for value as well. That is, somewhere we probably would not pay the $$$$ to stay, and that measures up to our previous choices. If Capri had not left Marriott, that might have been our next choice.

What are some favorites please?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I suggest you look at the Marriott Grosvenor Square in London if you like a great city location. We have used several travel packages there. The Renaissance St. Pancras is a new one in London and it is also supposed to be exceptionally nice, although we have yet to stay there.

SDMiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you done a search on the Marriott website for these catagories? That might help. You can indicate what catagory level on the search feature.

SD

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Thanks Bocaboy. London is a favorite city and have never stayed at a Marriott there. We'll check it out.

SD, I have been working my way through the Marriott website listings by geographic area, which is kind of interesting because some of the Cat 6 (Prague) and even some Cat 5 in Asia look pretty good, but hard to tell witout checking out each on Yelp or Tripadvisor. And even then, TUG Marriott forum often has more personal collective Marriott knowledge for picking a special hotel. But by category is a great start. Thanks.

Last edited:

SDMiller

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to go to Marriott Phuket Resort. We stayed at the Marriott Singapore for a week a few years back with our points, thought the hotel and country country was beautiful. Very easy to get around and shop in Singapore.

SD

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We also loved the Marriott Phuket Beach Resort, but were there on a villa exchange, and hope to go back that way. Otherwise, that would be one on my list. Since they share all the facilities of the JW, and we loved our villa and the grounds, I am looking for a different hotel, although a week at the hotel and another week in the villas would be amazing!

We were only in Singapore two nights on our way to Phuket, and loved Singapore and working our way up the Malaysian peninsula to Phuket, so that is a possible if we tie it to a week exchange to the Phuket Beach Club villas. Was the hotel itself or the location the main appeal? We loved the food in Singapore and Malaysia...so delicious and the "Hawker" stalls were so clean and fun.

Bali was long ago my favorite place in the world. But checked and only see a Courtyard or Ritz-Carlton. It is kind of scary to go back after 30 years, as some of those idyllic islands have been ruined by too much development.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Categories increasing on 3/15

Many of the Marriott International hotel/resort categories will increase effective for reservations/redenmptions made after 3/15. If you can decide prior to that time, I suggest you book your reward travel prior to that time to save a lot of points.

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Many of the Marriott International hotel/resort categories will increase effective for reservations/redenmptions made after 3/15. If you can decide prior to that time, I suggest you book your reward travel prior to that time to save a lot of points.

Do they just have to be booked before 3/15, but can be used at the old rating after 3/15? Thanks to TUG I got busy booking our Paris/Rome trip before the increase in cost of points for travel packages in January of (I think) 2009. Now maybe this will spur me on to make some decisions sooner! Thanks, I saw the thread but have not yet read the details.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Both London County Hall and London Grosvenor Sq are exceptional......

CH for the view across the Thames at Big Ben, esp at night when it's all lit up, and the chimes are a special memory that we and our kids will never forget. Close to walking across Westminster Bridge to St. James Park (our favorite), Sherlock Holmes Pub, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Sq, Piccadilly Circus, British Museum, etc., etc....

Gros Sq because it's a different feel....very chic, full of antiques, close to Hyde Park and the really upscale part of town, esp Bond Street (famous shopping in flagship stores!!!! Ralph Lauren, Gucci, Versace---once saw Rod Stewart shopping). Like them equally for different reasons.

Any Renaissance Hotel in a major city is fantastic, and gives a different feel entirely....very much like a boutique hotel----very contemporary and gorgeous. We stayed once in NYC at Marriott Marquis Times Sq---OK, big, impressive, crowded----- but next year stayed at Renaissance Times Sq, and it was far better.

I've read reviews of other Renaissance hotels and they are all really good. The brand is known and loved by those who happen to stay there unawares and are pleasantly surprised, or by those who happen to be referred by friends......a secret jewel on any account. Check them out. Always good locations, attentive staff, meticulous detail, and plush accommodations in ultra contemporary style. And, always a good size----not sprawling monstosities where lobbies are always a circus, but smaller and more cozy, yet large enough to have whatever you need.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Do they just have to be booked before 3/15, but can be used at the old rating after 3/15? Thanks to TUG I got busy booking our Paris/Rome trip before the increase in cost of points for travel packages in January of (I think) 2009. Now maybe this will spur me on to make some decisions sooner! Thanks, I saw the thread but have not yet read the details.

They just have to be booked prior to the cat change. We took advantage of booking Grand Flora as a cat 7. It was a cat 8 on our actual visit.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
We also loved the Marriott Phuket Beach Resort, but were there on a villa exchange, and hope to go back that way. Otherwise, that would be one on my list. Since they share all the facilities of the JW, and we loved our villa and the grounds, I am looking for a different hotel, although a week at the hotel and another week in the villas would be amazing!

We were only in Singapore two nights on our way to Phuket, and loved Singapore and working our way up the Malaysian peninsula to Phuket, so that is a possible if we tie it to a week exchange to the Phuket Beach Club villas. Was the hotel itself or the location the main appeal? We loved the food in Singapore and Malaysia...so delicious and the "Hawker" stalls were so clean and fun.

Bali was long ago my favorite place in the world. But checked and only see a Courtyard or Ritz-Carlton. It is kind of scary to go back after 30 years, as some of those idyllic islands have been ruined by too much development.

There is a new Renn. in Phuket. (Down the road from the JW.) Its a cat 5. We are going there next year on a 5 night travel package plus our week at the Beach Club.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Here's a different consideration for Italy...stay at Starwood and use your Cat 7 or 8 certificate for a Marriott where there is a bigger selection...even back in NA for another time. While Marriott oozes with a great selection in UK it's pretty sparse in the rest of Europe...and much harder to book on points because of the demand.

The www.spg.com hotels in Italy are castles. Check out Danieli in Venice and a few other SPG hotels there...while Marriott only offers you a Courtyard at the airport. Same with Florence (Excelsior for example) where Marriott has nothing...and in Rome there are several 1st class SPG properties much easier to get on points and much more elegant than Marriott's Grand Flora.

Even if you don't have Starwood points the quality is so much higher than Marriott in some European locations, it's probably worth joining SPG (free) and earning their points by paying for rooms. You only live once.

I've been a MR believer except for Italy and some other places in Europe where their roster is a let down. I found out you can convert Amex points into SPG and get a Starwood CC to divert purchases for a couple of years with advance planning while still maintaining your MR status with TS stays.

Brian

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the addition of the AC brand in the autograph collection Marriotts European collection is significantly expanded. They now have 20 locations in Italy including a new hotel in Florence. We didn't stay at any of the Italian locations on or trip last year but I did stay at the AC Santo Mauro in Madrid. If that hotel is indicative of the AC quality I'd have to rate the chain up there with a Ritz or a JW.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Brian- Thanks for the suggestion about Amex to SPG points- definitely something to keep in mind, since thanks to DH we get a lot of Amex points and have been talking about what to do with them.

Nice to have all these options :)

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian- Thanks for the suggestion about Amex to SPG points- definitely something to keep in mind, since thanks to DH we get a lot of Amex points and have been talking about what to do with them.

Nice to have all these options :)

In March there is a 50% Amex MR to SPG bonus resulting in 1 AMEX =.5 SPG ratio.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
In March there is a 50% Amex MR to SPG bonus resulting in 1 AMEX =.5 SPG ratio.

nice...don't know if we're ready to make plans just yet though. Is there a place where it is easy to find out about these different promotions? I assume it is posted at various places on Flyertalk, but i was wondering if there was a site that keeps a running list of these types of deals.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flyer talk and mile point are the two message boards I keep an eye on. Probably most helpful, I keep a google reader rss feed about about 20 travel points/miles related blogs (ie; the points guy, million mile secrets, etc.).

Ann in CA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone! It seems to be almost a full time job juggling reward points, weeks exchange, frequent flyer miles and now, although I am thoroughly opposed to the way Marriott rammed the DC through, and had no intention of ever enrollling our weeks, we are considering that as well.

As I had suspected from browsing the Marriott website, there are some very nice properties below Cat 7 and 8 as well. Now, to figure it all out before March 15!

My husband has never been the travel planner, so I have to learn as much as I can to make the best decisions. TUG has expanded our potential Marriott related use in so many ways we never imagined before. It is great to be able to run ideas by so many educated Marriott owners. Thanks again!

pafort

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MR Platinum Lifetime
Owner SELECT
Marbella Beach resort (1 Bed GOLD),
Village Île de France (3 Beds lock off GOLD)
Here's a different consideration for Italy...stay at Starwood and use your Cat 7 or 8 certificate for a Marriott where there is a bigger selection...even back in NA for another time. While Marriott oozes with a great selection in UK it's pretty sparse in the rest of Europe...and much harder to book on points because of the demand.

The www.spg.com hotels in Italy are castles. Check out Danieli in Venice and a few other SPG hotels there...while Marriott only offers you a Courtyard at the airport. Same with Florence (Excelsior for example) where Marriott has nothing...and in Rome there are several 1st class SPG properties much easier to get on points and much more elegant than Marriott's Grand Flora.

Even if you don't have Starwood points the quality is so much higher than Marriott in some European locations, it's probably worth joining SPG (free) and earning their points by paying for rooms. You only live once.

I've been a MR believer except for Italy and some other places in Europe where their roster is a let down. I found out you can convert Amex points into SPG and get a Starwood CC to divert purchases for a couple of years with advance planning while still maintaining your MR status with TS stays.

Brian

Hi Brian,
forget that in marriott brand, have also entered the Boscolo Hotels belonging to the brand Autograph Collection: Boscolo Exedra in Rome (5 stars wonderful, better than the Villa Flora, and I live in Rome) and Boscolo dei Dogi in Venice city center

Paolo

pafort

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MR Platinum Lifetime
Owner SELECT
Marbella Beach resort (1 Bed GOLD),
Village Île de France (3 Beds lock off GOLD)
With the addition of the AC brand in the autograph collection Marriotts European collection is significantly expanded. .... If that hotel is indicative of the AC quality I'd have to rate the chain up there with a Ritz or a JW.

exactly

Paolo

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Places (non europe) tha I would like to go would be:

JW Marriott Costa Rica

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Brian for the Westin's in Florence and Rome. Both of them treated us very nicely when we went.

I haven't been to the new AC Scrub's Island Resort on Tortola but have reservations for next year. The pictures look beautiful. Talked to a nice Marriott Reservations rep this morning and she said it's getting lots of interest. I checked and the rack rate for the first night of our reservation is $720.