• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best eSIM For Europe Travel - Europe Travel eSIM

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just used Airelo for Norway. Data only. It worked well. I thought it would work in UK and the Netherlands also but no it did not.
Next time I’ll get one for lots of Europe countries.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
Switch to Google Fi if you travel internationally a lot. Unless you are so light on usage, you cannot beat Google Fi’s unlimited data in many countries. $110 for two lines.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Oh joy, another thread on using international data. Why can’t we just have a sticky for this topic which may be updated when new info is available? As it is, we have the same comments over and over again.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Switch to Google Fi if you travel internationally a lot. Unless you are so light on usage, you cannot beat Google Fi’s unlimited data in many countries. $110 for two lines.

Yeah? I pay ~$17.50 per month after tax for local usage (with 5GB per month) and ~$2/GB for use in Western Europe. Considering I typically use ~10GB per trip to Europe, which is normally about three weeks, that means I’m only paying approx $20 for data abroad and $210 per year for my home account, so even when I’m in Europe three times in a year I’m still only paying $270 per year compared to $660 per line in your example. Even if I had unlimited local data I would only pay ~$35 per month, or $480 total… still hundreds of dollars less than your unbeatable yet easily beatable example.

iftravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Hilton Head
Google Fi’s unlimited domestic plan starts at $40 per line for 2 lines (only $5 more than $35 you quoted) and to get unlimited international roaming, you only pay $15 more and it can turn on and off as you wish. So if you are OK with Google Fi’s domestic network, it’s a no brainer and worry free solution. You use it as if at home and no worry on the usage and receive, make calls as if at home. So yes to me it costs $15 per trip for unlimited data roaming, call and text, and binge on Netflix without even another account to manage.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Google Fi’s unlimited domestic plan starts at $40 per line for 2 lines (only $5 more than $35 you quoted) and to get unlimited international roaming, you only pay $15 more and it can turn on and off as you wish. So if you are OK with Google Fi’s domestic network, it’s a no brainer and worry free solution. You use it as if at home and no worry on the usage and receive, make calls as if at home. So yes to me it costs $15 per trip for unlimited data roaming, call and text, and binge on Netflix without even another account to manage.

One line at Google Fi is $50/mth or $65/mth with international use. Compared with what I have now, are you seriously suggesting that I spend more than twice as much to have coverage while traveling? I don’t need more data than I have now.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google Fi is a good solution, and I’ve used it before. Unfortunately, it can cost more than just the line cost if your internet provider also bundles mobile service. I get a substantial break on my internet service by using xfinity for my phones.

So I used Airalo in Japan. It worked well. Direct calling required Wi-Fi, but any voice over IP apps (zoom, FaceTime, signal, WhatsApp) work just fine. It was about $11, and that was more data than I needed. Price varies by country or region.

I do use Fi if I am carrying a burner phone, which I do when visiting e.g. China.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Google Fi is a good solution, and I’ve used it before. Unfortunately, it can cost more than just the line cost if your internet provider also bundles mobile service. I get a substantial break on my internet service by using xfinity for my phones.

So I used Airalo in Japan. It worked well. Direct calling required Wi-Fi, but any voice over IP apps (zoom, FaceTime, signal, WhatsApp) work just fine. It was about $11, and that was more data than I needed. Price varies by country or region.

I do use Fi if I am carrying a burner phone, which I do when visiting e.g. China.
Does this work on a locked phone? I am looking for cell service for when in Italy. In case I need to make a phone call, etc.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think the phone must be unlocked.
Well how funny I called Straight Talk today and found out both mine and my husband's phones are unlocked! Rep asked for the IMEI numbers to check. I assured her we were not going to another carrer but just wanted to use our phones in Europe.(Italy and Germany).

I'd rather use e sims instead of having to switch out the physical SIM card. BUT- I want to be able to make actual phone calls to the USA if necessary and it doesn't seem any of these international e sims do that. Seems they only supply data. I mean- I can use wifi in the hotels and restaurants, airports etc. Do I need an e sim to use wifi?

I really am wet behind the ears with all this stuff. I hate it.

I also have a MOBAL flip phone that I used in 2012 to make phone calls in Scotland. Think I made one call to a restaurant. LOL!

So I am checking on reactivating that as well.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to be able to make actual phone calls to the USA if necessary and it doesn't seem any of these international e sims do that.
Generally, these low-cost eSims are data only. Every once in a while you can find one that also has a phone number, but it will be a number local to that country, and not your "usual" one. To use your "usual" number via a cellular network outside the US, you will need to activate whatever roaming capability your provider offers.

Do I need an e sim to use wifi?
Nope! If your phone and provider support calling-over-wifi, that will still work no matter where you are.

Also, if you know in advance who you'd need to call and they are willing to use a voice-over-IP application, you can use that. I generally do this for my emergency contacts while I am traveling---and most of them use Signal or WhatsApp already anyway.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Generally, these low-cost eSims are data only. Every once in a while you can find one that also has a phone number, but it will be a number local to that country, and not your "usual" one. To use your "usual" number via a cellular network outside the US, you will need to activate whatever roaming capability your provider offers.

Nope! If your phone and provider support calling-over-wifi, that will still work no matter where you are.

Also, if you know in advance who you'd need to call and they are willing to use a voice-over-IP application, you can use that. I generally do this for my emergency contacts while I am traveling---and most of them use Signal or WhatsApp already anyway.
Thanks.

So eSIMs give you Internet for times you have no WiFi, correct?

I use Straight Talk as my provider and they do not have any service overseas- no roaming, no data, nothing. So can’t make phone calls.

I have an IPhone SE 3. Of course the phone uses WiFi. I assume I can use WiFi calling overseas then.

But again, maybe it’s overkill but I’d like to be able to call the USA even if I do not have WiFi available when away.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes. Some also include a local phone number. If you want to make calls you will probably need to find one.

Also make sure the SE 3 can use esims
Thanks again. Looks like my phone can sure sims.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.png
    IMG_4055.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 6

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yes. Some also include a local phone number. If you want to make calls you will probably need to find one.

Also make sure the SE 3 can use esims
I just checked Airalo and it looks like they have a global plan (that covers Europe) that you can buy which includes phone calls! This could be the one I use then! I need the coverage for Italy and Germany.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I used Holafly in Denmark, Norway & Sweden tour and it was great for lots of data
I see I can buy a Europe e sim with Holafly and just use the What's app on that for calls also. (I need a sim that covers Italy and Germany since we have a long torturous layover in Munich airport.)

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I see I can buy a Europe e sim and just use the What's app on that for calls also. (I need a sim that covers Italy and Germany since we have a long torturous layover in Munich airport.)
If you have WhatsApp on your phone it will work no matter what sim card is in the phone. At least that's how my android phone works. I have a Canadian, an American, and a Belizean sim card to use depending on which country I am in. I never need to do anything with WhatsApp and family can call me on it no matter where I am or what sim card is in my phone. My niece, who now lives in The Netherlands, uses WhatsApp a lot. Not just for calling her family here in Ontario but over there to order pizza, call her friends... I used it to call her and our hotel when we were over there for her wedding since I didn't get a European sim. In Belize I think more people and businesses use WhatsApp for calls than cell service since data is so cheap, or they use the free wifi available all over the place.

~Diane

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I see I can buy a Europe e sim and just use the What's app on that for calls also. (I need a sim that covers Italy and Germany since we have a long torturous layover in Munich airport.)

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
AT&T international daily, don't have to *do* anything, $12/day when used for calling or texting. Not charged anything extra after 10 days of use. I think Verizon and T-Mobile customers have something similar. Might it cost just a bit more than some other, more complicated solution? Maybe, but when we're discussing only tens of dollars, and not having to *do* anything, I don't care. I like simplicity, one less thing to deal with.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you have WhatsApp on your phone it will work no matter what sim card is in the phone. At least that's how my android phone works. I have a Canadian, an American, and a Belizean sim card to use depending on which country I am in. I never need to do anything with WhatsApp and family can call me on it no matter where I am or what sim card is in my phone. My niece, who now lives in The Netherlands, uses WhatsApp a lot. Not just for calling her family here in Ontario but over there to order pizza, call her friends... I used it to call her and our hotel when we were over there for her wedding since I didn't get a European sim. In Belize I think more people and businesses use WhatsApp for calls than cell service since data is so cheap, or they use the free wifi available all over the place.

~Diane
Well but don’t you need WiFi for what’s app if there’s no cell service?

I want to be able to use it or make regular voice calls even if theres no WiFi

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
WhatsApp can use cellular data for voice calls, as long as the person you are calling also has WhatsApp.

It’s a little confusing. But the network views a WhatsApp call like any other data stream—like using streaming audio or video, just on two directions.

However, a cellular phone call looks “different” to the cellular network, and uses a different mechanism that requires your home telephone provider to be involved. In most cases you have to pay your provider extra for this.

Adding to the confusion, some phones and providers can use WiFi to place calls. Those also involve your phone provoder, but the provider doesn’t care where you are for Wi-Fi call, generally doesn’t charge more for it, and to the network they also just look like streaming audio and video.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I know there’s WiFi. I’m talking actual voice phone calls is what I want to be able to do.

WiFi calling. I thought you posted earlier that your phone supports that, so if so you should be fine while at the airport with WiFi. But if you want to be assured of service, then you should have a mobile connection with service in Germany.