• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Dog Toys? Treats?

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My dog loves his new dried cows hoof and all Kong toys. Also loves the short empty cat food cans and dried sticks. Tennis balls for outside. Likes to tear up children's stuffed toys and small cardboard boxes.

For treats I am a cheapskate and the prepackaged ones are expensive. They love boiled chicken, creamy peanut butter, eggs both boiled and scrambled, Chopped cheap store brand hot dogs, cheese, cooked sweet potatoes and any kind of high protein table scraps.

Does you dog have any favorites you can recommend?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did your vet OK all that people food? Our vet says only to use a high quality pet food.

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Did your vet OK all that people food? Our vet says only to use a high quality pet food.

It depends on the vet. At one point, when Magic had cancer, I was using a holistic vet, who said only to use people food, noting that even high-quality dog foods were bad for the dogs. He had specific recipes, and said that spaghetti sauce was great to get dogs to eat something.

That said, every dog has particular likes and dislikes. The trick is to find out what your dog really likes. With Magic it was pizza. The day before she died, she would not eat anything, until I ordered a pizza, and then she ate two pieces. Booker absolutely loved fish -- particularly Lox. Rosie likes dried liver. Rocky loves bread, and particularly Hawaiian sweet bread.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our yellow lab doesn't seem to have likes & dislikes. She'll eat anything!! Last night I dropped a carrot, she ate it. She also eats lettuce and about anything else. About a month ago I dropped something and she refused it, but I can't remember what it was. It's driving me crazy that I can't remember, because she'll usually devour anything she can get.

Son & his wife got a new puppy, (black lab) for Christmas. We're visiting them next week so I'll take some treats for my grand-puppy (no grandkids yet, but a new puppy is almost as good!!)

Are the Kong toys good for a teething puppy? Any other suggestions?

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Miss Heidi loves her kong and considers it like a serving dish for her peanut butter. When we're fixing lunch (typically sandwiches) at the kitchen counter, she will bring the kong in and drop it at our feet. She is quite religious in her ritual at lunchtime.

As for treats, she enjoys pigs ears (we buy them bulk at Sam's Club). I sure hope they aren't terrible for her because she does enjoy them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nothin wrong with pig ears, ive been searching for a product ive heard is made of compressed pig ears they make into the shape of a bone. so its a giant pigear bone.

as for toys, pagan destroys everything ive given him. including kong products!

one odd thing that works really well (and by really well i mean it lasts for more than half an hour)...is a plastic 1.75liter ABC liquor bottle!

remove the cap as it will be removed quickly if you dont...and letem go to town. I was amazed at how well it stood up to the punishment!

learned this trick from my folks, and it has an added side benefit of you getting to drink the contents =D

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our beloved cocker spaniel doesn't do toys. We've bought Kongs, bones/rawhide of every description. We've taken her in to PetsMart so she can choose for herself. No sale. She likes and will do amazing stuff for BilJack bisquits.They have liver as the 1st ingredient so they are pretty good for her. I do micro-scramble an egg for her on Sunday mornings. I guess whatever she wants is fine.She maintains 20-22 lbs unlike many cockers so we'll just stick with what works. And doesn't.

Jim Ricks

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got the best bones my dogs love at a dog show. They were stuffed with peanut butter or baconmix, etc. I want to say they are red dogs but I will go to the one place I know of that I can buy them at in town and report back. They do not splinter and Monkey chewed on it for a year!! Unbelievable product.

My vet said not to give them pigs ears as they can splinter , no hotdogs as they can make them very sick. My dogs love a treat of eggs, they lick my plates clean and then I have to sanitize them.

I just discovered Nathans dog treats, they look like little hot dogs, but they arent. I buy them at Walmart. They will also eat greenies.

Mater is laying on the couch, chewing on the 2 yr old bone. Gotta get that name for you. shaggy

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Our yellow lab doesn't seem to have likes & dislikes. She'll eat anything!! Last night I dropped a carrot, she ate it. She also eats lettuce and about anything else. About a month ago I dropped something and she refused it, but I can't remember what it was. It's driving me crazy that I can't remember, because she'll usually devour anything she can get.

Son & his wife got a new puppy, (black lab) for Christmas. We're visiting them next week so I'll take some treats for my grand-puppy (no grandkids yet, but a new puppy is almost as good!!)

Are the Kong toys good for a teething puppy? Any other suggestions?

I got a new puppy (mix from rescue) in November. She's my 6th dog but my first puppy in the last 20 years! Oh boy!

Our puppy kindergarten teacher recommended we use boiled chicken breast as treats as well since it's easy to chew/easy to digest.

Please use caution when buying some of the commercial edibles such as ears, hooves, rawhides and others. Aside from the possible choke factor, many times the quality of these products are less than stellar and the chemicals used to preserve them can be quite dangerous. Even before the poisonous dog food from China, I always read the labels in terms of which countries these come from.

ALSO - watch out for dog products containing peanut butter right now as well. ttp://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm

Anyway, Nylabone makes great teething products that she just loved. http://www.dogtoys.com/puppyfishtoys2.html
http://www.dog.com/item/nylabone-puppy-teething-keys/

But, once her baby teeth came out, these weren't strong enough for her anymore. Her favorite chew toy (that she hasn't been able to destroy) is called "Chuck-A-Duck". She loves it. http://www.catsplay.com/bci329370.php3

We bought them at PetSmart & Petco, I just included the links to show what they look like. Enjoy!

ilene

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
No Grapes Rasins Chocolate Or Onions!!!!!

Grapes raisins chocolate and onions are toxic to dogs. That is the only real prohibition I know about.

I boil the hot dogs before the dogs get them and cut them up into tiny pieces as training treats. Then try to avoid really high fat foods. They get regular dog food as well.

Every dog has it's own preferences. They do so much to make us happy it is a joy to indulge them!!!

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Grapes raisins chocolate and onions are toxic to dogs.

Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and death. Chocolate can cause convulsions and death, and it builds in the system every tme a dog ingests more. Onions can cause anemia.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our...

Does you dog have any favorites you can recommend?

Our Shih Tzu has liver shunts so all treats and food have to be low protein. Not easy to find in stores but there are some out there. I also freeze low-salt canned green beans to feed her as a treat. Spread the beans out on a cookie sheet until frozen, then put in a zip loc bag.

Sometimes we give her mini carrot sticks. That would not be good for a dog with a weight problem, however.

She has lots of toys but honestly, she has the most fun when we take a purchase out of a plastic bag and swish the bag around on the floor. She goes crazy trying to capture it. We don't let her have it by herself, of course, but she has the best time as we move it about for her to chase.

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
I also freeze low-salt canned green beans to feed her as a treat. Spread the beans out on a cookie sheet until frozen, then put in a zip loc bag.

Yep - they love them and we just buy the frozen store brand or whatever is cheapest - (no salt added to frozen).

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Easier

Yep - they love them and we just buy the frozen store brand or whatever is cheapest - (no salt added to frozen).

That's a lot easier! :)

geekette

Reaction score
Tuna Brownies!

When we were doing agility someone passed this along to me.

Upsides:
my dog will do ANYTHING for tuna brownies
cheap and easy to make
freeze well
tiny amount of ingredients yields massive amount

downside:
doggie breath like she just came from a Red Lobster feast

This is from memory, so gooch as desired:
1 can tuna in oil, do not drain!
1 egg
garlic - I put in a teaspoon of the minced stuff in a jar with its juice
2 cups or so flour? for dogs with wheat allergies, you can use whatever you want, just needs to be a dry ingredient

mix it all up, should be dense like dough, not very liquid
spread in jelly roll pan, bake a half hour or so until firm

my dog will lay in front of the oven waiting. of course, she's psychic and seems to know when something is For Her.

After cooling, turn out onto cutting board. use a pizza cutter to slice to desired size(s).

Sorry this is not exact, but, trust me, your dog ain't gonna care!

For hot dogs, I cut em up and bake em until they're chewy, not hard. Could probably do the same thing with liver.

Cheap toy: toilet paper tube. We let our dog shred these, but she's only allowed to have one if given, there is no stealing from the waste can. But she can distinguish between items that are ok to shred and items not to shred (one of those super smart border collies). careful with a puppy as they may not know the difference and you may have important paperwork reduced to confetti.

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....careful with a puppy as they may not know the difference and you may have important paperwork reduced to confetti.

Maybe like copies of my tax return from a previous year... left on the steps, to be refiled the next time I go upstairs.... :bawl:

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody try the GO DOG "tough toys" with Chew Guard Technology ??

..for your dog, that is..... :D

Mine likes to chew up toys, but these do a real good job of holding up to the damage. He loves the blue dragon, as shown at this web site.

If a dog, sits down with it, and starts to use his front teeth to pull apart the fur/seems, will it hold up? Will that be under their guarantee? Koji tends to pull with his front teeth and shred things. Ugh.

Besides, the dragons are cute.

kelela92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Miko loves grapes (this was before they said anything about them being toxic). He preferred red over green. :) They both get carrots at times.

But I typically give Koji bully sticks. I love those things. They can smell, but they love them. I will also give them raw bones w/meat on it (Nature's Variety Raw).

For daily treats. They get Zukes (they like the pb one better than the chicken one) or Dogswell treats. They like the Happy Hips Duck and the Breathies Chicken.

Oh, and for training, we use Charlee Bears. 3 calories per piece. Makes it easier not to plump them up. lol

FlyerBobcat

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If a dog, sits down with it, and starts to use his front teeth to pull apart the fur/seems, will it hold up? Will that be under their guarantee? Koji tends to pull with his front teeth and shred things. Ugh.

Besides, the dragons are cute.

Here's the deal. My dog is small (~12 lbs) but is a big shredder!!! And loves to ruin the tennis ball type toys, and the little tire toys. The pet store said if it didn't hold up, bring it back and try something else. It's been holding up pretty well. (But the felt "fins" got chewed up a little.)

Do I think it would hold up to a big dog (chewer) - NO!
Do I think it will last 6 more months with my small dog - probably, not.