• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Disney and New England Skiing Timeshare to buy into???

yerrato

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I just purchased an RCI timeshare for $8k with 59,000 points... Thankfully we found this forum and are rescinding the contract.

We are still interested in some kind of timeshare where we will primarily use it to ski in New Hampshire, take some trips to Disney World and maybe a few other locations over the years.

What should we be looking to buy into?

Thanks!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Welcome. Is it your intention to utilize/trade occasionally or trade always?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@Grammarhero , another rescinded timeshare on time thanks to TUG! @yerrato congrats on savings thousands! So we can better help answer questions, complete the survey posted in the "what to buy sticky"

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't think of any ONE TS that would get you into Disney, and NE skiing except Disney (DVC). Disney is one tough exchange to score. And there are just not a lot of New England ski resorts with timeshares, and there are tons of owners and a relatively short season. This is gonna be expensive. You might buy a week at resale like what you rescinded for cheap, but it won't exchange into Disney unless you simply get VERY lucky.

All I can say is to keep shopping eBay, here in the Marketplace, Redweek, and even calling the resorts you are interested in and asking if they have or know of owners who want to sell fixed ski weeks.

Good Luck!

Jim

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I can't think of any ONE TS that would get you into Disney, and NE skiing except Disney (DVC). Disney is one tough exchange to score. And there are just not a lot of New England ski resorts with timeshares, and there are tons of owners and a relatively short season. This is gonna be expensive. You might buy a week at resale like what you rescinded for cheap, but it won't exchange into Disney unless you simply get VERY lucky.

All I can say is to keep shopping eBay, here in the Marketplace, Redweek, and even calling the resorts you are interested in and asking if they have or know of owners who want to sell fixed ski weeks.

Good Luck!

Jim
DVC exchange can happen. They are last minute which is why it’s important to monitor the sightings thread. I’ve been seeing exchanges from 45-55 TPU. Or can range from 45-81K points. I agree though, buy DVC resale that would be best

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still interested in some kind of timeshare where we will primarily use it to ski in New Hampshire, take some trips to Disney World and maybe a few other locations over the years.
If your primary use is to ski NH, I'd look for a fixed or floating week at a NH resort that gives you rights to time that works for you. I don't *think* there are any mini-systems that do this, except maybe Shell, but I'm not sure their resort is right at a ski area.

I generally discourage folks---especially those who are new to timeshare---from buying to exchange. You'd be better served buying where you want to go more years than not.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If your primary use is to ski NH, I'd look for a fixed or floating week at a NH resort that gives you rights to time that works for you. I don't *think* there are any mini-systems that do this, except maybe Shell, but I'm not sure their resort is right at a ski area.

I generally discourage folks---especially those who are new to timeshare---from buying to exchange. You'd be better served buying where you want to go more years than not.
Yeah, unless you pick up a points contract. Then book what’s available. I’d suggest rather than buy where you want to go, buy into a system you want to play in. Buy something that gives you maximum usage with points and exchange. Buy a bigger system that others would find value in so when you’re done you have an easy exit strategy.

yerrato

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good Luck!

Jim
Thanks Jim!

With RCI, the saleman logged in and showed Saratoga Springs available for 55,000 - 85,000 RCI points... it was one of things that sold us.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Innseason Resorts in New England trades with II snd RCI and also has an arrangement with Disney. So this could work for you possibly.

And let’s say you stay at Innseason Pollard Brook -they have a shuttle for skiers to Loon right up the road.

Pollard Brook has a mixture of Innseason points owners, RCI and II points owners, and fixed week owners.

We like fixed week ownership and that is what we own there- but in summer. Got it for free on Timeshare Nation.

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to ski NH and also trade into DVC occasionally, you will want an RCI affiliated resort. As others have mentioned, purchasing a fixed week or a floating winter week would be what you are looking for. I assume you know NH...resorts off of 93 that are nice: Pollard Brook, South Mountain and if your REALLY want to go big, Riverwalk....but that is a big investment where you need to purchase multiple weeks. You can easily get to Loon, Cannon, Brettonwoods and Waterville Valley. On the other side of the Kanc...up route 16 you could look into Eastern Slope and Attitash Mountain Village. Easily ski Attitash, Cranmore and Wildcat.

Fair warning though.....it takes a lot to get into DVC and I'm pretty sure 1 ski week in NH would not give you enough to trade into one week in DVC, unless you are lucky to find something very last minute.

We timeshare in NH a lot, winter and summer mostly. I personally do not think that it is worth it to own a NH unit because the annual fees for the time share are usually more than what you can obtain a week for via RCI and II via their extra vacations/getaways. The only exception would be Presidents day week....that one can be a hard one.

I would either purchase Disney or purchase a TS that will provide you with a chance of getting enough TPUs via RCI to be able to trade into Disney. Once you have access RCI....just rent the NH weeks you want from them.

yerrato

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to ski NH and also trade into DVC occasionally, you will want an RCI affiliated resort. As others have mentioned, purchasing a fixed week or a floating winter week would be what you are looking for. I assume you know NH...resorts off of 93 that are nice: Pollard Brook, South Mountain and if your REALLY want to go big, Riverwalk....but that is a big investment where you need to purchase multiple weeks. You can easily get to Loon, Cannon, Brettonwoods and Waterville Valley. On the other side of the Kanc...up route 16 you could look into Eastern Slope and Attitash Mountain Village. Easily ski Attitash, Cranmore and Wildcat.

Fair warning though.....it takes a lot to get into DVC and I'm pretty sure 1 ski week in NH would not give you enough to trade into one week in DVC, unless you are lucky to find something very last minute.

We timeshare in NH a lot, winter and summer mostly. I personally do not think that it is worth it to own a NH unit because the annual fees for the time share are usually more than what you can obtain a week for via RCI and II via their extra vacations/getaways. The only exception would be Presidents day week....that one can be a hard one.

I would either purchase Disney or purchase a TS that will provide you with a chance of getting enough TPUs via RCI to be able to trade into Disney. Once you have access RCI....just rent the NH weeks you want from them.

Thanks for all the info!!!

The thing that I'm struggling with is figuring out what I can get through RCI in regards hotels and for how many points... At the TS meeting, the guy logged into RCI and showed you could get a 1 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs for 55,000-85,000 points... Is that common?? Could I get the Wilderness Lodge for the same?? I don't know???

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I ever see in DVC in RCI Points is Saratoga Springs 1 BR. If there is ever anything else it would be a last minute sighting. You get to see those with a TUG membership, then be quick and lucky and have a lot of points available.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

The thing that I'm struggling with is figuring out what I can get through RCI in regards hotels and for how many points... At the TS meeting, the guy logged into RCI and showed you could get a 1 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs for 55,000-85,000 points... Is that common?? Could I get the Wilderness Lodge for the same?? I don't know???
Most a avail is SSR and OKW

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

First....forget whatever the TS sales guy told you at your meeting because it was 1/2 truths (and I am being generous with the 1/2). I agree with Passport....pay the small amount to join TUG to see the sightings board. This will give you a good feeling for what type of points or TPUs needed to see DVC.

yerrato

TUG Member
Reaction score
First....forget whatever the TS sales guy told you at your meeting because it was 1/2 truths (and I am being generous with the 1/2). I agree with Passport....pay the small amount to join TUG to see the sightings board. This will give you a good feeling for what type of points or TPUs needed to see DVC.
Thanks! I joined last night, but they haven't updated my profile to see the private forum yet...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thanks! I joined last night, but they haven't updated my profile to see the private forum yet...
Go to your account profile there should be a way to generate a tug member code word then change it to member.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi,
some kind of timeshare where we will primarily use it to ski in New Hampshire,
What should we be looking to buy into?
Thanks!

where are you driving from to ski in New Hampshire / this may make help TUG members make suggestions.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The Boston Area
There are a number of western Mass timeshares / near ski areas as well.
Jiminy Peak
Bousquet
Butternut

HIVC - Oak & Spruce -Lee Mass ( originally Silverleaf sold as fixed weeks- including holiday weeks.
Vacation Village Berkshires - Hancock Mass (sold as fixed weeks / some with RCI points convertibility)
Vacation Village Mountain Lodge - Pittsfield ( very near Bousquet)
Wyndham Bentley Brook - Hancock ( at Jiminy Peak)

I would suggest trying before buying / both the ski areas & the TS locations

Also - if you are looking for holiday week skiing ( Christmas / New Years / Presidents Week)- you need to
do a lot of research .

example - Wyndham is (generally) a points system - and buying Wyndham resale** -could get you use at
Wyndham Bentley Brook and Orlando ( Wyndham Bonnet Creek ) This would be unlikely to get you Bentley Brook for holiday weeks - since those were mostly sold as fixed week annual usage .

**Wyndham - you can try locations by renting & there are TUG members who could assist you.
If you decided to buy Wyndham - read the TUG Wyndham forum to learn various resale points buying strategies
for best MF cost per contract and / or best ARP ( Advanced Reservation booking window ) .

Smuggs in NH is also a Wyndham TS (but also with winter fixed week - original developer sold “versions “ via resale)
(WinnieWoman - is an owner there as well - and can better explain / if you need info)

Read TUG , learn , enjoy vacationing .

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

. Since DVC sells points and you can bank and borrow one year out, it's very easy to buy whichever package works for you. It's very difficult to book via RCI. When DVC does their bulk deposits, there are people who snatch up many of them. I would never recommend buying a different timeshare to use to trade for DVC. If you want to stay at DVC, you need to buy DVC and if you want to stay at Wilderness Lodge, you have to buy there.

yerrato

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at DVC, we would need about 200ish pts to stay where we want, which would equate to $25k buy in and about $1500/ yr fees buying resale.

How does this make financial sense for folks... it wouldnt start to make sense until like year 7, and that’s only if you go every year.

Am I missing something???

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
it wouldnt start to make sense until like year 7, and that’s only if you go every year.
That's how it makes sense. DVC is structured for people who go most years and absolutely must stay on-site in at least the mid-tier resorts. If you only go infrequently, would be willing to stay offsite, *or* would be happy in the entry-level hotel properties managed by WDW, DVC doesn't work. There are plenty of other wonderful resorts in Orlando that are much more affordable--and some of them have some really nice features that the DVC resorts don't have. For example, Wymdham Bonnet Creek was mentioned upthread. I've stayed there several times as well as in DVC properties. Compared to some of the "non-park" resorts, Bonnet Creek was every bit as wonderful as a vacation destination.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Looking at DVC, we would need about 200ish pts to stay where we want, which would equate to $25k buy in and about $1500/ yr fees buying resale.

How does this make financial sense for folks... it wouldnt start to make sense until like year 7, and that’s only if you go every year.

If you buy resale you don’t need to buy 200 points. You can buy 75 and let them bank and be borrowed since you only want to Go once every few years..... you can also rent ski timeshares or buy a small DVC contract and get a free NH ski contract resale. Then you don’t have to worry about trading etc. if you can’t go to DVC and want to rent you’ll make more than maint.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II

As others have said, DVC makes sense only if you go to WDW every year or every other year. Some people go every three years, but that requires very careful points management in order to avoid stranded or lost points. If you plan to go EOY, you’d buy +/- 100 points to get what you want. DVC does exchange in RCI, but I have no experience with that. We have other TS that we use to travel elsewhere - or to stay in Orlando when we’re out of DVC points! There are many lovely resorts in Orlando other than DVC!