• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best credit card

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using chase explorer card for united mile,
But since the merger and gong to dollars, I have noticed
That it cost more in points to fly than before the merger
Still 1 point per dollar, but it seems like its more costly to
Fly, don't know if it is due to Cleveland no longer a hub
Or they have raised points needed. Is there a better card your using? The free bag is a nice Benny.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Business Ink Bold are good options. Both have great sign up bonus and offer bonus points for certain categories. Points can be transferred to a number of airlines, including United and Southwest.

If you travel on united enough to offset the annual fee, you can keep your United card to get the free bags.

Also, look at the Discover-It card. No annual fee, double miles the first year (3 points per dollar) and no interest on purchases for 12 months.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you used discover card? United has multiple levels
To book a flight. Saver etc do u know if that is the case if
U book united through discover?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just look at the first year bonus for various cards. Use the bonus and free first year annual fee, then bail out at the end of the year.

In the past I would complain to customer service that the annual fee was too high and for many years they would credit back the fee. Of course I would have to charge the amount of the fee to the card within 3 months. But even then I still have to look at what freebies I receive.

Right now I'm getting 3 points per $1 purchase then apply those points (converted to $$) to ANY travel related expenses including auto, air, restaurants, etc.

It works for me now until the next great deal comes along.

For the Chase United I all I have to do is get enough free bag checks to offset the annual fee. Otherwise I don't even use the card.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I keep it simple. Just like I can't be bothered with points based timeshares, I can't be bothered with points based credit cards. And I don't fly enough anyway.

I go for cash back- The American Express Blue Cash Preferred. $75 annual fee. 6% back on supermarkets and 3% back on gas and certain department stores and 1% on everything else. Everything (and I mean everything) gets put on that card. If you spend $1000 in the first 3 month of having the card you get $150 bonus.

We have to eat and we use a lot of gas commuting- that alone makes the annual fee worth it. I look at the cash back (which you can have credited to your statement) as my vacation spending money!

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep it simple. Just like I can't be bothered with points based timeshares, I can't be bothered with points based credit cards. And I don't fly enough anyway.

I go for cash back- The American Express Blue Cash Preferred. $75 annual fee. 6% back on supermarkets and 3% back on gas and certain department stores and 1% on everything else. Everything (and I mean everything) gets put on that card. If you spend $1000 in the first 3 month of having the card you get $150 bonus.

We have to eat and we use a lot of gas commuting- that alone makes the annual fee worth it. I look at the cash back (which you can have credited to your statement) as my vacation spending money!

With this approach you are leaving money on the table. With a little more effort you can get a better return on your spending.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With this approach you are leaving money on the table. With a little more effort you can get a better return on your spending.

I'd nominate this as snide comment of the year; not a valuable contribution.
How would you know? I'd say that's a decent rebate for gas-hogs.

As for us: We mostly use a Cap-One Venture which offers a 2% credit on all
travel expenses, and a HHonors Am-Ex for Hilton spending.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd nominate this as snide comment of the year; not a valuable contribution.
How would you know? I'd say that's a decent rebate for gas-hogs.

As for us: We mostly use a Cap-One Venture which offers a 2% credit on all
travel expenses, and a HHonors Am-Ex for Hilton spending.

Because it is the truth. Why not add a second card that offers 2% back on everything at a minimum. Everyone should have two cards in their wallet especially if one is american express. An extra 1% on all non grocery and gas expenses would go a long way.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I do have other cards- Discover (I have the More and the Open Road card)has rotating 5 % categories quarterly that I take advantage of if I think it will matter; In fact- I just got a $200 bonus from Discover Open Road Card from a program they were running over the summer. I have MasterCard (2 of them) and Visa (2 of them), too, that both have cash back programs. But- our main expenses are food and gas. And- there is something to be said for having all the bills consolidated on one statement. Simplicity. (I got just about $1000 so far this year. I'm happy with that).

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of opinions on credit cards and some people don't factor in their time spent playing credit card games. Recently, I started using Chase Freedom 1% cash back for all my business purchases. They have some 5% categories that change quarterly. Right now, it's 5% back for gasoline. I think last time it was for Amazon purchases.

I decided playing the point game wasn't for me. I want to use cash to buy airfare and rental cars because cash opens the door for all choices and I will never be limited to which seats I can buy or if I can fly direct vs. making transfers.

Last year, my husband was using his points for airfare on his credit union card. He spent over an hour looking up flights. He was going to have to do a layover, while Southwest (not covered by the points booking) had direct flights to his destination. I told him to call and ask them for cash instead and book Southwest. He booked it on a credit card and 2 days later, the cash was put into our account and we paid the credit card balance for the trip. We had cash leftover, too, which we wouldn't have had if he booked his flight on United with the points.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided playing the point game wasn't for me. I want to use cash to buy airfare and rental cars because cash opens the door for all choices and I will never be limited to which seats I can buy or if I can fly direct vs. making transfers.

I am solving that by having points in all hotel, airlines and 3rd party transferable to the first two groups that I can.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is great. It is not much more work to use two cards. It is also a good habit to use all your cards once in awhile.

I do have other cards- Discover (I have the More and the Open Road card)has rotating 5 % categories quarterly that I take advantage of if I think it will matter; In fact- I just got a $200 bonus from Discover Open Road Card from a program they were running over the summer. I have MasterCard (2 of them) and Visa (2 of them), too, that both have cash back programs. But- our main expenses are food and gas. And- there is something to be said for having all the bills consolidated on one statement. Simplicity. (I got just about $1000 so far this year. I'm happy with that).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That is great. It is not much more work to use two cards. It is also a good habit to use all your cards once in awhile.

Yeah- I know. To keep them active.

grupp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you used discover card? United has multiple levels
To book a flight. Saver etc do u know if that is the case if
U book united through discover?

I will actually be getting my discover card in the mail this week, so have not used it. You really don't get miles in the true sense, but use them to pay off travel expenses charged to the card, which also includes hotels and rental cars.

If you fly United, one of the chase reward cards would be good card. You can use the Reward points to transfer to hotels or airlines, purchase travel through their website, or get cash back.

I prefer Ink Bold because of the 5 points per dollar categories. There are some easy ways to manufacture some cheap points if you need some extra miles for a trip. Although it is suppose to be a business card and has a high spending requirement.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

My thoughts are similar but not exactly the same. I love my Blue Cash Preferred as well. But we max out the 6% on groceries pretty quickly so we will probably add another one to the household. We have one card that has rotating categories that gives 5% back on the category so we use that one during certain periods. Then we have a 2% one as a fall-back for everything else, plus a couple other cards that offer special types of advantages, for example we got a Capital One Venture to help us pay for flights to Hawaii.

Anyway, FlyerTalk has tons of good info about credit cards benefits. It's super in-depth though and they are not the friendliest bunch so tread carefully.