• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best credit card for rental car in Europe (Spain, France)?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a few to choose from and I think rules keep changing... I always used to assume our credit cards covered everything but not so sure now. Anyone know which ones cover Collision Damage Waiver these days? Theft? Deductibles? I know I can call each company, but sometimes when I call they just send me to their websites for such questions where it's hard to wade thru their legalese, and maybe some of you TUGgers have this info at your fingertips.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
A lot of them do, with varying parameters. I use Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve, good for up to 31 days, primary coverage for damage. I've collected twice, no problems.

I have also used AmEx Premium Car Rental Insurance. There's a fee of about $20 per rental. Good for up to 42 days.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
New info - was going to use our regular Amex and purchase Premium Car Rental Insurance (don't have Chase Sapphire) - however AmEx discontinued that as of September for all reservations made after that date. Fortunately the phone rep mentioned that Citi Costco (Visa) cards still cover this. Excellent.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Laurie, I used it last month, and I don't think I reserved before September. In fact I normally would just use Sapphire (free), but was experiencing a security problem at the time I reserved, so I decided to use Amex ($18) as it was a 3-week rental.

I think they discontinued the feature where you'd automatically get coverage (as many cards have in the last year).

But they are still advertising the PREMIUM service here. And Budget in fact had the info wrong ... told me that Amex had discontinued insurance. But the wrong insurance.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they discontinued the feature where you'd automatically get coverage (as many cards have in the last year).

But they are still advertising the PREMIUM service here.

OK, thanks for the link. So I wonder whether the Costco Visa coverage is as complete, if I can in fact purchase this AmEx with my basic AA AmEx. Am I correct that you just enroll, and then if/when you rent a car using this cc and decline CDW, it automatically kicks in and charges that cc acct - as opposed to my having to take action to register and pay with each rental?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Yes, Laurie, that's how it works. It's a bad deal for a 1-day rental, and about the same as the agency's price for 2-day, but beyond that it's way cheaper.

Also, coverage is primary even in your home country, which isn't true of Visa/MC coverage, so your insurer won't need to know.

My Amex is Blue Cash Everyday (no fee), and I think you can have the plan with any Amex card.