• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best credit card for Baltic Cruise?

Minnie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're going on a Baltic cruise in August. What credit card is most widely
accepted and perhaps gives "perks" on foreign purchases. I've heard that
some tack on a service charge for foreign use. Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my experience that Visa is more widely accepted as opposed to Amex. I don't know what you mean by perks. As far as service charges, we did not incur any using our Chase platinum visa but I suppose it depends on the CC company.

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
andrea t said:
I suppose it depends on the CC company.
That's right, surchages for currency conversion depends on the bank issuing the card, get out your magnifying glass and read the fine print, or give your CC a call to find out, the charges can add up!

Minnie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those who replied. Perks: When I traveled to Europe a number of years ago, using Mastercard gave me free or reduced rate to many museums, art galleries and other attractions. My research currently shows that Amex charges 2% and Visa 3% on foreign transactions.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
For forex, Capital One is still the best issuer, and the only one (of the major issuers) left that doesn't charge an additional markup. They will charge 1%, but that's to recoup the fee charged by Visa or Master Card, which is no longer built into the exchange rate. And that markup is over the wholesale exchange rates for the day of posting.

-David

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I have traveled in Lativa, Lithuania, Estonia and Russia, I have found that the local exchange houses in all of those countries were very competitive, generally with low margins and no commission. Just exchanging money was a more convenient option than using a credit card. With the surcharges on most cards, it is probably a cheaper option as well.

sultan_sfo

TUG Member
Reaction score
How Much Currency to Take for Each Country

Local Banks in US will sell even small amounts of currency for most Baltic Countries. Our ACTUAL experience on Star Princess Sep 2005:

Do NOT buy any currency on the ship -- rate is bad and there was a $3 transaction cost. We prefer to carry some currency for each port of call which we used to buy, say water, from grocery stores, or for local buses from the pier to town or in town, or even taxis. Some currency gets left over -- add them to the memorabilia of the cruise. Looking for ATM's wastes time -- ignore those posts that tell you ATM's are everywhere. If you are taking a private St. Petersburgs tour (non-cruise line) negotiate the cost of the tour in US$ payable in cash and then pay cash US$. Our 2-day tour for 2 was about $450. We took TC and cash. If you charge the St. Petersburgh tour on credit card, your cost will end up being 10% higher because of the conversion rates used by the tour company. /Sultan