• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Chinese Food near WorldMark San Francisco?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We're staying at WM San Francisco for a few days. (Corner of Bush and Stockton, a block off Powell, near Union Square. The Dragon's Gate is about a block down Bush from here.) Looking for recommendations for the best Chinese Food or Dim Sum in the local area, within convenient walking distance. Anyone have suggestions?

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The only Chinese restaurants I've been to recently are Yank Sing (primarily dim sum) and one in Chinatown. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the one in Chinatown, all I remember is that you had to climb stair up from the street to get there. It was on Grant Ave.

There are two Yank Sing locations. One on Spear, and the one I went to last year with my dd's is on Stephenson between 1st and 2nd. That one is about 1/2 mile from where you are.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We just "picked one", so couldn't give you a name. But there is a great French bistro on the opposite side of the street as you walk downhill toward Chinatown from Worldmark. I'd say at least 2/3 - 3/4 of the way down. I cringe even now at the thought of walking back up from Chinatown or the Bistro!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@DaveNW if you do find a truly great Chinese restaurant let me know. We may want to try it out when we are there at the end of the month.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
For Dim Sum: Golden Dragon; 818 Washington (site of a gang massacre in 1977). I've eaten dim sum there at least a dozen times.

For lunch plate or dinner: Brandy Ho's; 217 Columbus (near Kearney & Pacific). I've probably eaten lunch there 100x over the years. No MSG.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@clifffaith, your point of "pick one" may be the way to go. There's one called Spice Kitchen about a block closer to Unon Square from here that has reasonable ratings online, but I hoped Tuggers would have "the" restaurant already picked out. We'll see. :)

For Dim Sum: Golden Dragon; 818 Washington (site of a gang massacre in 1977). I've eaten dim sum there at least a dozen times.

For lunch plate or dinner: Brandy Ho's; 217 Columbus (near Kearney & Pacific). I've probably eaten lunch there 100x over the years. No MSG.

Perfect! Thanks!!

Dave

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@DaveNW, if you want Italian I can point you to two restaurants. One that we go to every year (near Union Square so very walkable for us) and one closer to North Beach.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yank Sing....our favorite dim sum restaurant in San Francisco.
After I took my dds there for their first time last year they were hooked. My younger dd wants to go back this year. I ate there quite a bit when I worked in San Francisco years ago.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Eastern on Jackson St. (middle of the block between Kearney St. and Grant Ave.) is a favorite with visitors and locals alike. In fact, one of our former U.S. Presidents always orders take-out when he is in town. Enjoy your stay in S.F.! CJ

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Eastern on Jackson St. (middle of the block between Kearney St. and Grant Ave.) is a favorite with visitors and locals alike. In fact, one of our former U.S. Presidents always orders take-out when he is in town. Enjoy your stay in S.F.! CJ
Based on pictures, they look like authentically prepared dishes. If we ever make it back to SF, I will have to check this place out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only Chinese restaurants I've been to recently are Yank Sing (primarily dim sum) and one in Chinatown. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the one in Chinatown, all I remember is that you had to climb stair up from the street to get there. It was on Grant Ave.

There are two Yank Sing locations. One on Spear, and the one I went to last year with my dd's is on Stephenson between 1st and 2nd. That one is about 1/2 mile from where you are.
Based on my memory, the Spear location is larger than the other one. If you have a car, parking is easier at the Spear location but it is not as central as the one on Stevenson.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think we've decided on a plan for tomorrow. Going to walk down from the WM to spend the majority of the day at the SF Museum of Modern Art, then late lunch/early dinner at Yank Sing, then back to the WM to get ready for our much-anticipated theater experience - Hamilton at the Orpheum Theater tomorrow night. The weather is clear but there is a strong, cold wind, so kind of harsh trying to walk around much. I think Uber is going to get some money from us tomorrow. :)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like big fun! You two have a great time in the big town.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Sounds like big fun! You two have a great time in the big town.

Jim

We are! Drove across the Golden Gate Bridge from Marin, meandered across town, got to the WM mid-day, our room was ready and they let us check in early. I even managed to skip the Concierge parking pass dance, and then we spent the afternoon wandering around the Union Square area. Had a light dinner at a favorite little eatery on Powell and Bush streets, just a block from the WM. Now we're tucked in for the evening, and making plans for tomorrow. Should be an excellent day!

This picture is a snap through the windshield as we were driving across the GG Bridge.

Dave

GGBridge.jpg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you drive down, or fly and rent wheelz?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Enjoy Dave!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Did you drive down, or fly and rent wheelz?

This trip was pretty spur-of-the-moment. We fell into ridiculously cheap airfare about a month ago, ($106 r/t each on Alaska from Paine Field PAE to SFO), so flew down Saturday for a four-day weekend. Rented a car for even more ridiculously cheap rates (Alamo through Costco $107 for four days from SFO airport), spent two days/nights visiting with family near Napa (big SuperBowl party at their house - bummer for them that SF lost), and now spending two nights at the WorldMark San Francisco (booked for cash through WM Monday Madness for $176 for Mon-Tue nights.) The whole trip is costing something like $150 a day. The theater tickets tomorrow night were unexpected, but we wanted to see this show, so jumped on them.

And I'm not even retired yet. How much more fun am I going to have when I don't have to get up and go to work??? ;)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I knew the details of your cheapskate trip. Good on Ya! Feel free to rub it in. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I guess I knew the details of your cheapskate trip. Good on Ya! Feel free to rub it in. :)

HAHA! No, more of a reminder that good fun isn't accidental. Ya gots to work for it. :)

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My commute.

You drive this every day? It was a nice drive - but I'd think it could get to be tedious if driven too often. You have a lucky situation, I think. SF is such a vibrant city - I really enjoy visiting here. :)

Dave