• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Beach vacations, East coast or gulf

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to go to Royal Sands in Cancun. My DH does not want to spend the money on airfare. We actually live on the coast of NC overlooking a barrier island state park. He is not a big beach person, does not drink and does not like crowds so he does not want to spend a lot of money to go to a beach resort. I do not drink much but I enjoy a beach resort. We have 4 XYZs available this year and I am trying to figure out where to go w/o airfare where I can enjoy a nice resort and fun in the sun.
We have been to Mexico several times on cruises and what he has seen of Mexico is not his cup of tea.
Any great Florida resorts in an overbuilt area? He suggested Orlando. I am not interested . We have been there several times. I want a beach in front of me.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
What DOES he like to do? Two Atlantic coast beaches we like are Cocoa Beach and the Fort Lauderdale area. Fort Lauderdale has more stuff to do -- sightseeing, fishing, snorkling, musuems. If he just likes to do crossword puzzles, it won't matter too much to him. Go to Cocoa.

Destin and Panama City Beach are with reach of the NC coast.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
What DOES he like to do? Two Atlantic coast beaches we like are Cocoa Beach and the Fort Lauderdale area. Fort Lauderdale has more stuff to do -- sightseeing, fishing, snorkling, musuems. If he just likes to do crossword puzzles, it won't matter too much to him. Go to Cocoa.

Destin and Panama City Beach are with reach of the NC coast.

We like to hike in scenic areas. We enjoy ziplining. We enjoy snorkeling and parasailing. We like to watch for whales. We enjoy good music and comedy. We like to dance. We like Las Vegas shows and Broadway shows and musicals. We are going to Sedona, Las Vegas and Branson in April. He is willing to go on a beach vacation with me, but he hates to pay the airfare to Mexico when he is going to the beach for me..does not appeal to him. We have been to Hawaii twice..we both think it is beautiful.
He just does not enjoy sitting on the beach. He wants to be doing something or he will be inside on the computer. I, however, love to soak up the sun.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does he play golf? Then try Hilton Head. It is also possible to do day trips to Charleston and Savannah, two extremely interesting cities, from there. Better yet, there are oceanfront resorts on the very doorstep of each, on Tybee Island for Savannah and on Isle of Palms for Charleston, but they are both extremely hard to trade into. HHI is a much easier trade.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
When were you planning to go?

Your family is looking for different things than mine (we like a much quieter beach experience).....but I have heard that Marriott's BeachPlace in Miami may be just what you are looking for.....Beach and Big City - you can just park the car and enjoy the area within walking distance and you can plan a couple days traveling to "see" stuff in the area....everglades/key's.

Maybe, Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach as well......lots to do in the surrounding area, yet on the beach. It would provide the "big city" & beach experience again....not so sure about the hikes or sea life experience.

We love the southern gulf (Captiva's an all-time favorite) but I think it would be too quiet for you; Maybe the Pan Handle area...Destin?....we've never been there...we like St Joe (a quiet sleepy island of beach homes) when visiting the pan handle.

Hilton Head would offer the nature & beach as well as nice restaurants. We love it. Again, may be too quiet....don't remember anything like ziplining or parasailing.

We've never been to Destin or Coco Beach....too busy for us from what I've heard...but hopefully other's will comment and share and it may be just what you're looking for.

Good luck, I LOVE planning. We're visiting Cancun for the first time next month.....it doesn't sound like our typical vacation but sometimes we try things "outside the box" and the Royal's get such good reviews.....we'll see.
Judy

kwindham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Destin and Pensacola beach several times. To me those are FL best beaches, sugar white sand. I dont find Pensacola beach to be to busy and there is lots of hiking places up around that military place past the beaches---i cant remember the name right now to save my life. My dh is also not so much a beach person but he loved Pensacola too! and we both enjoyed hiking around in that old military area, very historical and informative. Also Pensacoa is close to quite a few other things to do.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
How about Lauderdale by the Sea or Marco Island.
Nice beaches and relaxing environment.
Not sure if you could get them with an XYZ but if you could both would be great beach weeks for both of you.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your family is looking for different things than mine (we like a much quieter beach experience).....but I have heard that Marriott's BeachPlace in Miami may be just what you are looking for.....Beach and Big City - you can just park the car and enjoy the area within walking distance and you can plan a couple days traveling to "see" stuff in the area....everglades/key's.

Maybe, Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach as well......lots to do in the surrounding area, yet on the beach. It would provide the "big city" & beach experience again....not so sure about the hikes or sea life experience.

We love the southern gulf (Captiva's an all-time favorite) but I think it would be too quiet for you; Maybe the Pan Handle area...Destin?....we've never been there...we like St Joe (a quiet sleepy island of beach homes) when visiting the pan handle.
Hilton Head would offer the nature & beach as well as nice restaurants. We love it. Again, may be too quiet....don't remember anything like ziplining or parasailing.

We've never been to Destin or Coco Beach....too busy for us from what I've heard...but hopefully other's will comment and share and it may be just what you're looking for.

Good luck, I LOVE planning. We're visiting Cancun for the first time next month.....it doesn't sound like our typical vacation but sometimes we try things "outside the box" and the Royal's get such good reviews.....we'll see.
Judy

We don't have to do everything on one vacation. I listed things we like to do in response to another member's query about what my husband does like to do. I love a quiet beach vacation. Because I said my husband does not care for drinking, partying and lying on the beach..someone asked what he did like to do.
I hope you have a wonderful time at Royal Sands. The reviews have attracted me also. I can pick it up on an XYZ and would love to go. Nice beach resorts in the warm weather season here are not readily available.