• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

best area for February visit for warm weather?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We live in DC area. We usually go on a cruise, Carib., or to FL for Feb warm weather getaway. Considering West Coast for for 2-3 weeks in 2022. We're Open to S. Cal, AZ, etc. Is Sedona warm enough for outdoors hiking, etc.? Is Palm Springs better? Or, should we just stick with Florida/Carib?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Even if it is cold, go to Sedona in February.
Hiking then would be so much more pleasant - and go see the Grand Canyon. An entirely different experience in winter!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We live in DC area. We usually go on a cruise, Carib., or to FL for Feb warm weather getaway. Considering West Coast for for 2-3 weeks in 2022. We're Open to S. Cal, AZ, etc. Is Sedona warm enough for outdoors hiking, etc.? Is Palm Springs better? Or, should we just stick with Florida/Carib?
Nothing in California, even Palm Springs, is going to be warm in February. However, it may depend on your definition of warm. I found this about Palm Springs:

February is a wonderful month to visit Palm Springs. The average morning temperature is 47 degrees Fahrenheit or 8 Celsius. The sun rises at 6:30 am. Mid-day the temperature hits a high of 75 degrees Fahrenheit or 23 Celsius.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks, maybe just stay in Florida then.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Why not grab something in Mexico? There is a lot of stuff available.

Dave

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only US state that is warm in February is Hawaii. The Carribean is also warm then (it's their "high season"). Key West is a possibility.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about the totally OTHER end of the spectrum? Think embrace Winter. Park City UT, or one of our favorite memories, snowmobiling into Yellowstone. You are provided with very warm, toasty full snow suits, boots, helmets and the works. You can drive your own snow machines (they have heated handles and the places your feet rest) or they have 'Snow Coaches'. Vans on tracks actually. Driven by very knowledgeable guides who know where the wildlife hangs out.

Guaranteed, it's a memory that you'd never forget. The wildlife you'd see and the geysers in Winter are absolutely fabulous! And the evenings by the fire ain't bad either!

Jim

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
our skiing and winter sports days are probably done, but I'll keep that in mind. thanks!
sounds like we need to save Sedona for later in the spring.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Nothing in California, even Palm Springs, is going to be warm in February. However, it may depend on your definition of warm. I found this about Palm Springs:

February is a wonderful month to visit Palm Springs. The average morning temperature is 47 degrees Fahrenheit or 8 Celsius. The sun rises at 6:30 am. Mid-day the temperature hits a high of 75 degrees Fahrenheit or 23 Celsius.
Ok, you sold me! I’ve never had a desire to visit Palm Springs but those temperatures are perfect for me.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, you sold me! I’ve never had a desire to visit Palm Springs but those temperatures are perfect for me.
We went to Palm Springs in February a few years ago and loved it. It felt warm to us...highs were in the upper 70s most days. It was warm enough to swim, and we enjoyed hiking at Joshua Tree NP..about an hour away. Would love to go back!

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
...snowmobiling into Yellowstone. ... Guaranteed, it's a memory that you'd never forget. The wildlife you'd see and the geysers in Winter are absolutely fabulous! And the evenings by the fire ain't bad either!
Not usually a cold weather fan but this intrigues me. We've never been (yet) to Yellowstone. Do you know of a timeshare resort, convenient to this activity and for other sightseeing within the park in winter or offseason?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Not usually a cold weather fan but this intrigues me. We've never been (yet) to Yellowstone. Do you know of a timeshare resort, convenient to this activity and for other sightseeing within the park in winter or offseason?
Yellowstone has five entrance stations, the North Entrance, Northeast Entrance, East Entrance, South Entrance and the West Entrance. It takes many hours to drive between these entrances, so be sure to check the status of roads at the entrance you intend to use. Most park roads are closed to regular vehicles from early November to late-April (see dates below) when the park switches to oversnow travel (snowmobiles and snowcoaches). The only road open year-round to automobiles is from the North Entrance at Gardiner, Montana, through the park to Cooke City, Montana (via Tower Junction).

I don't believe there are any timeshares near the northern entrance. When I worked at Yellowstone back in the summer of 1969 I don't remember there being much of anything in Gardiner, Montana.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
WorldMark Yellowstone is near the west entrance.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When I worked at Yellowstone back in the summer of 1969 I don't remember there being much of anything in Gardiner, Montana.

There still isn't much near Gardiner.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 1.59.13 PM.png

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the west entrance isn't open during the winter.
Most indeed it is open for over snow travel. Snowmobiles are used for around town travel (as are cars). Delta flies in from SLC. There are numerous outfitters that supply the snow machines, the suits, helmets and guides. We had a snowmobile tour from West to Canyon and back guided by a geologist, then the next day a snow coach into Old Faithful. We used the snowmobiles to go all over Island Park and explore the area outside the Park on our own. Very manageable. Timbers at Island Park is also a TS outside the Park.
We stayed at this place. The snow machine rentals are onsite. The owner invented the snow coach concept. It isn't fancy, but is right in the center of West Yellowstone. One level and walk directly into your unit. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...hree_Bear_Lodge-West_Yellowstone_Montana.html
Jim

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Most indeed it is open for over snow travel. Snowmobiles are used for around town travel (as are cars). Delta flies in from SLC. There are numerous outfitters that supply the snow machines, the suits, helmets and guides. We had a snowmobile tour from West to Canyon and back guided by a geologist, then the next day a snow coach into Old Faithful. We used the snowmobiles to go all over Island Park and explore the area outside the Park on our own. Very manageable. Timbers at Island Park is also a TS outside the Park.

Jim
Thanks. I was going by the information I found online and do notice that it's open to snowmobiles. Sorry for the confusion.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Interesting... thank you each for your experiences & comments. :)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I love Palm Springs. I loved everything about it. I am going to plan us a trip for January, most likely. We go to Maui 2/15, so we have to get back for a week before we head there.

All of my vacation plans are up in smoke. Poof.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Palm Springs area can be fabulous in winter (as others upthread have said, 70s and sunny during the day, chilly at night like everywhere else). One thing to keep in mind, though - if Southern California is having a rainy, wet period during that time, it can quite different. The last couple of times we went in February, it just happened to be rainy and chilly (50s during the day). We weren't surprised by it, however, since we live only a two-hour drive away and we were having the same weather at home. Nor did we mind it at all. There was still plenty to do, and the surrounding snow-covered mountains were beautiful. You might be fine with that too, but just be aware.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Why not PHX? I would think the weather here is similar to Palm Springs in Feb. Most hiking in Sedona is best from Sept-Oct through April-May. There are plenty of the easiest, most scenic hikes that I would only do Nov-Feb or Mar.

Sedona Pines Resort has the largest pool in Sedona and it is heated. They also have a wonderful Adults-only Lagoon, which is a large, large hot tub with lots of jets - best thing after a hike anytime of year.

If you are out here for 2-3 weeks, you should hit decent weather, but what others have said is true. Sometimes it is rainy in Feb. On the other hand, I think we have had .1 inches of rain here since 1/1/2020. Unpredictable. I've volunteered at the Waste Management Open which is the end of Jan- first of Feb, and it can be a real scorcher, as can Spring training in March.

30 degree temperature swings are normal year-round in the desert. So, expect cooler mornings and sunny afternoons.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. If We Head west I think Palm springs and Phoenix/Sedona both are at the top of the list. I was concerned that Sedona might be too chilly.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks. If We Head west I think Palm springs and Phoenix/Sedona both are at the top of the list. I was concerned that Sedona might be too chilly.
Sedona will be cooler than Phoenix or Palm Springs. Average temps for Sedona in February are highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 30s.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
sounds like we need to save Sedona for later in the spring.

We have gone to Sedona every year for the past 5 years over Thanksgiving. Feb weather would be fairly comparable to late Nov.

Even though we've had snow on two occasions (a dusting once and three to four inches last year on our departure day), I would actually consider the weather to be pretty warm then. Nights are cold but daytime temps are very pleasant. Maybe not "lie by the pool all day and drink tiki drinks" type of warm. But getting out on the trails in shorts and short sleeves is more typical than being bundled up against snow. I go for the purposes of mountain biking and often times I am concerned about how to avoid heat out on the trail rather than worrying about staying warm.

We are not really all about lying by the pool in Sedona but we definitely wind up in the hot tub a few days during the trip. So I think it really depends on whether you're looking for an active trip- in which case Sedona in Feb would probably be awesome. Or a lounging trip- in which case Sedona in Feb would likely be too cold.