• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Airport to fly into for NYC

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
Haven't been there in years. What is the best place to fly into? Newark has some great fares on SW but I see yo can also fly into JFK and La Guardia.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
LGA is my opinion.

EWR is the worse of the 3. Cabs are very expensive, as you have to cross from NJ to NY and there is a big surcharge for that.

LGA and JFK has bus to subway, that can be covered by a week long subway pass purchase. Price $29 unlimited rides for 7 days.

slomac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
There are 3 of us going so we could split the cab fare. I heard the cab ride is about $40 from Newark. Flights are much cheaper

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes, but there are tunnel charges etc, that are on top of that cab fare.

I had a fare, with traffic and add ons, be $80 - 100 getting from midtown to Newark Airport.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
New York is not one of my favorite places to go, so I am more likely passing through by connecting at an airport there than going to NYC itself.

I do not find any of the three NYC airports to be among my favorite, but Newark is at least tolerable, JFK is a total pit, and LaGuardia is in between. Newark does have a train from the airport that goes into the city, and I would use that in preference to a taxi. JFK, I think does so as well now, but I recall when the public transportation from JFK was taking a bus all the way or taking a bus to connect with the subway. I had one time that I planned to at least spend a little time in the city since I was there, but it was cold, windy and rainy so I decided to go to the airport early. That was lucky because I had the bus ride from hell to JFK, taking three and a half hours due to really bad traffic. Most on the bus missed their planes, but I was able to make it to mine.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Newark train to Madison Square Garden is via TNJ (transit of NJ). Be sure to get a cab in the correct direction (so as to NOT circle MSqGarden).

Easy to do if you pack like a foreigner verses a US citizen (you don't need the kitchen sink;) ).

I have taken TNJ into NYC to stay for a week at Manhatten Club. Took a cab to MC, but took the subway back a week later.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Newark best since I live in NJ. LaGuardia is okay, and JFK is, as others have said, a total pit.

Airport buses are pretty reasonable and easy. Last time I took one, it was $15 per person. The train from Newark is about the same price, but there's more maneuvering. Or you could do the Super Shuttle for door-to-door service to midtown from any of the major airports.

stevelb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't been there in years. What is the best place to fly into? Newark has some great fares on SW but I see yo can also fly into JFK and La Guardia.

I generally use La Guardia as it is the shortest cab ride. Newark is not too bad as you can take the airport bus to the Port Authority and then either walk or grab a cab to your hotel. A lot depends on where you are staying. If you are getting a great airfare to Newark, then that's a good enough reason. No matter which airport make an attempt to not arrive at the evening rush hour if possible. Would not use the public transportation options unless you are young and have only carry-on luggage.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
LGA has the best for drive time + cab fares for Manhatten (IIRC ~$35).
JFK+EWR has decent public transit, but IMHO, if renting/cabbing, I'd go LGA.

scooter

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are 3 of us going so we could split the cab fare. I heard the cab ride is about $40 from Newark. Flights are much cheaper

$120 to where from Newark? Make sure you get a reservation with a FLAT RATE not milage before you get to NY. There are also airport shuttle vans to a fixed destination (whatever hotel) in whatever part of town.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have been going to NYC every summer for over 50 years. My preference is to fly into JFK. You can catch the AirTrain over to the LIRR station@ Jamaica Station. Then catch the LIRR straight into Penn Station. You can go anywhere from there. Pretty cheap, especially on weekends (about $12 ea). About 3-4 more dollars than taking the subway, but a whole lot faster and more comfortable. Well worth a couple extra bucks. I think it takes about 20 minutes. Best deal I have found.

Have fun.

JPrisco

TUG Member
Reaction score
LGA is one of the most-delayed airports in the US.
JFK is a bit further away and larger than LGA, but if you are traveling in snow or rain it is a better choice.
Another alternative is HPN - the local White Plains airport. They have fewer flights, but it is so easy to get through security (a few minutes) that it might be worth a look. They only have one baggage carousel and only handle one or two flights at a time. JetBlue and Airtran have direct flights from there. Larger carriers have flights with stops. After you arrive you can rent a car and drive to NYC, or take a taxi to White Plains Metro North and are in Grand Central in about 30 minutes.

akp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use Carmel Limo (or similar)

We always use Carmel Limo when flying into NYC. I just put in random date and chose Manhattan club as the destination. Fare for 1-4 people is $43. You'll pay tolls and tip, but still very reasonable and the price is set in advance.

There are also always coupons available so you can probably get $4 or $6 off that rate.

Anita

New York Reservation
To: Manhattan Club Hotel: 200 W 56 ST (BROADWAY / 7 AVE)
Date: 3/16/2012 (Fri) Time: 2:30 PM
Passengers: 1 Luggage: 1

Car / Fare Availability

Car Type Fare Availabilty
Full Size Sedan 1-4 $43.00
Luxury Sedan 1-4 $52.00
Deluxe Sedan 1-4 $55.00

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I've done Newark once, and won't again (you really have to pay attention to what you're doing - get the right platform, the right train, etc. Once you get into Manhattan you might need to go crosstown on a G train, so you'll need to know how to do that too). JFK is my first choice. When I lived in Manhattan they used to have commercials on TV to 'Take the Train to the Plane'. Always cracked me up as I saw it for fertile mugging opportunities. Now I do it! There's a short ride from the airport on an airtrain to the train station, then the A train into Manhattan. Takes about an hour to get to Chelsea. Make sure if you go this route that you catch an A train going back that specifically says 'Airport' on it. And the weekly metro card is the way to go if you're using the subway/busses.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
LGA is one of the most-delayed airports in the US. Another alternative is HPN - the local White Plains airport....

I've flown into LGA quite a bit and never been delayed, but perhaps I'm just one of the chosen few. Actually, I like White Plains. It has the feel of a small-town, yet efficient airport.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always used Continental Miles for NYC so EWR was the only option

Train Under the River to Penn Station works foe me

abbekit

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
We have always flown into LGA and used Carmel or Dial 7 for low cost, easy transportation into Manhattan. This past trip we flew into EWR for the first time ever and took the train to Penn Station since we were staying across the street at the Affinia Manhattan. It was great, easy connection.

Cheaper airfare into EWR and cheaper to take the train rather than use a car service or taxi. We would do that again the next time we go rather than deal with LGA. Of course we travel light with only carry-on bags so that might make a difference if you don't want to use the train.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've flown into all three. There's not much difference. As far as delays, all three are bad - that's just the way it is in the NYC area, between weather and heavy air traffic. Cabs may be slightly cheaper from LGA or JFK, but it's not significant. Public transportation is easy from LGA and JFK - that's what I always take, but I usually just have a carry on and a laptop bag. There's a bus I've taken from EWR (Newark Airport Express) that charges something like $15. It goes to 3 different locations in Manhattan.

If EWR is quite a bit cheaper to fly to, I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

KarenB

Reaction score
The NJ Transit train from Newark airport to Penn Station in Manhattan takes less than an hour and cost me $12.50 last weekend.

Pretty good value I think

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can fly from all three - but we drive or take car service, van, etc. We prefer Newark - and it happens to be a little closer (usually a few dollars more but we prefer this airport whenever possible). We never consider LGA (and it's the furthest).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We never consider LGA (and it's the furthest).

Unless you're going to (or coming from) the Jersey shore, LGA is actually the closest.

Major Airports near Manhattan
New York La Guardia Airport ... 4.9 mi.
Newark Liberty International Airport ... 12.6 mi.
New York John F Kennedy International Airport ... 14.2 mi.

Last edited:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I've done Newark once, and won't again (you really have to pay attention to what you're doing - get the right platform, the right train, etc. Once you get into Manhattan you might need to go crosstown on a G train, so you'll need to know how to do that too). JFK is my first choice. When I lived in Manhattan they used to have commercials on TV to 'Take the Train to the Plane'. Always cracked me up as I saw it for fertile mugging opportunities. Now I do it! There's a short ride from the airport on an airtrain to the train station, then the A train into Manhattan. Takes about an hour to get to Chelsea. Make sure if you go this route that you catch an A train going back that specifically says 'Airport' on it. And the weekly metro card is the way to go if you're using the subway/busses.

Ah...the A train brings back memories. Pre 9/11 on a long weekend trip to NYC, my brother suggested the A train to/from JFK into Manhattan. No problems getting into the city. Back to the airport was another story.

On a Sunday, after waiting for more than an hour for the train, it finally arrived. We were worried that we would miss our flight. Couldn't understand the loudspeaker and were a bit concerned when most of the people got off a number of stops before the airport. When they shooed DH, myself and 2 flight attendants off the train at the last stop, we were nowhere near the airport and in a really, really bad part of town. The station attendant told us not to wander around that we would never find a taxi to take us to the airport. We would find some 'entrepreneurs (our term)' just outside and to negotiate a ride to the airport with them. Sure enough, we found guys just hanging around. 2 of them had a nice big boat that would fit the 4 of us so we started the negotiations. They told us their trunk wouldn't open and that we would need 2 cars to get all of us to the airport. The 2 flight attendants refused to be separated from us so we told the guys the 4 of us needed to fit into 1 car...with our luggage in our laps :eek: It was the most nerve-wracked 1/2 hour of our lives. All of us thought there would be a lovely write-up about a robbery-murders in the next days' papers! We joked later that they must have had a body in the trunk :hysterical: .

We gave the guys an obscenely large tip for letting us live :D .

Edited to add: remembering as I write this that the train we got on was not an 'airport' train as bjones mentions above. We had waited so long and were concerned about missing our flight that we figured we'd take that one and grab a taxi at the end of the line...

Ingrid

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AnnaS and a few others are talking about flying OUT of the NYC area as a resident, rather than flying in as someone visting Manhattan.

That's fine for them, but the OP's topic reads: "Best Airport to fly into for NYC."

Last edited: