• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Being Contacted to Buy your Timeshare..... Seems Fishy!

Hellermi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been consistently been contacted with offers to buy my timeshare. They first started to come from Mexican entities, then they were brokers based in the US. Often they state that they are representing companies that want to purchase them for renting out. The offers I get is over double what I paid for my timeshare. What is the scam?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The scam is that as the deal progresses, they will ask you to pay some money upfront - for escrow, for title transfer, for taxes that the Mexican government supposedly needs to collect. The requirements are limited only by the imagination. They will assure that everything will be reimbursed to you when the deal is complete and escrow closes.

But the deal will never close, the escrow company is a fraud, and all of the money you have paid upfront will be gone. There are numerous examples of this in message threads. There's a thread on Sierra Rentals and Resales, if you want to see an elaborate example. Here's the link to the thread. https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ience-with-sierra-rentals-and-resales.112034/. See any similarities?

I figure the Sierra Rentals and Resales operation involved two to three people running the scam. It appears as if they set up the operation and got into in the Sales Operations at several resorts, and operated as a referral entity for people who wanted to rent units. Probably did a small amount of business, mostly collecting some upfront fees But the big thing was to establish some "presence" and generate contact information on owners.

Then they opened up the main scam, where they contacted owners with the offers to buy entire units, and played that out for a year. For about two to three years of work, they probably pulled in well over $1 million in those fees.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been consistently been contacted with offers to buy my timeshare. They first started to come from Mexican entities, then they were brokers based in the US. Often they state that they are representing companies that want to purchase them for renting out. The offers I get is over double what I paid for my timeshare. What is the scam?

In case you haven't figured it out yet; it is a scam.

No one will ever pay you double!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't figured it out yet; it is a scam.

No one will ever pay you double!
Not only is it double what the OP paid initially, it's probably 100 (or more) times what resale units fetch. Any reputable entity that might be purchasing units to run as a rental business isn't going to pay 100 times market value.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have been consistently been contacted with offers to buy my timeshare. They first started to come from Mexican entities, then they were brokers based in the US. .......

FYI - Once one scammer has your contact information / phone etc. - THEY ALL DO . You will keep getting these contacts .
also - the USA based ones may not be - it is pretty easy to spoof an area code & phone number