• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Been renting for a while but ready to buy resale now

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello dear tuggers, I have rented for a while. I have also been lurking on this site for about 10 years. I have attended several timeshare tours. Thank God I didn’t buy from any of those companies.

I will like to purchase now. Below are my responses. Please direct me. I am a little clueless what to buy from resale. Hopefully some of you can help me.

I plan to use it mostly for trades and last call purchases. I will love to have access to purchasing last call with cash. Which timeshare resale will allow me to have this access? Sorry for typos. I’m drinking margaritas on Marriott Surf Club beach as I type this. Lol

Thanks

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Answer: Not really. I love going to new places but we have consistently been going to Orlando with the kids for Christmas break for a few years now. I love to travel to the Caribbean twice a year solo with the hubby.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Answer: Trade more than half of the time.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Aruba and mostly anywhere in the Caribbean, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, VA beach, and Europe.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

Short trips- 2 people (hubby and I at least twice a year)

Family Vacations- 5 people minimumWe are a family of 5.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Both. The 2 solo trips can be anytime mostly during March and October, but locked into the school schedule for the family vacations.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes and no. I’m pretty flexible but I can plan ahead.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Hmm $1000 but I’m very cheap so the lower the better. I guess it depends on value. Lol

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

$1K or so. It all depends on value. I spend more than this amount yearly for accommodation.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

yes and no. I can be if I have to.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not sure what system or independent you are leaning towards.

If you are considering systems..... here is a comparison of all major systems we did about 18 - 24 months ago. I might be a little dated with the Vistana Marriott merger but otherwise it is still a valid comparison of system to system.

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure what system or independent you are leaning towards.

If you are considering systems..... here is a comparison of all major systems we did about 18 - 24 months ago. I might be a little dated with the Vistana Marriott merger but otherwise it is still a valid comparison of system to system.

Thanks. I will review it. I met a couple here who told me that they own a timeshare at Shawnee in PA for several years now. They pretty much have had a good use of it by exchanging through II. The maintenance fee is only $800 or so. Something like that sounded pretty good to me. I am also considering the GV 98k with RCI exchange but still so many options and a little overwhelming in terms knowing what will be best for me.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Hello dear tuggers, I have rented for a while. I have also been lurking on this site for about 10 years. I have attended several timeshare tours. Thank God I didn’t buy from any of those companies.

I will like to purchase now. Below are my responses. Please direct me. I am a little clueless what to buy from resale. Hopefully some of you can help me.

I plan to use it mostly for trades and last call purchases. I will love to have access to purchasing last call with cash. Which timeshare resale will allow me to have this access? Sorry for typos. I’m drinking margaritas on Marriott Surf Club beach as I type this. Lol

Thanks

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Answer: Not really. I love going to new places but we have consistently been going to Orlando with the kids for Christmas break for a few years now. I love to travel to the Caribbean twice a year solo with the hubby.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Answer: Trade more than half of the time.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Aruba and mostly anywhere in the Caribbean, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, VA beach, and Europe.

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?

Short trips- 2 people (hubby and I at least twice a year)

Family Vacations- 5 people minimumWe are a family of 5.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Both. The 2 solo trips can be anytime mostly during March and October, but locked into the school schedule for the family vacations.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes and no. I’m pretty flexible but I can plan ahead.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3-5

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

Hmm $1000 but I’m very cheap so the lower the better. I guess it depends on value. Lol

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

$1K or so. It all depends on value. I spend more than this amount yearly for accommodation.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

yes and no. I can be if I have to.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes

Because you have a family of 5 I would say you need a 2 bedroom. Also, because you want 3-5 star destinations you want to look at the vistana/Marriott system. You like the Caribbean so I would lean toward the vistana mandatory ownership. The maint fee value on a two bedroom lockoff at say vistana villages may be higher than you want to pay yearly you would be able to split the unit and get two trips a year. With the mandatory ownership of vistana villages in bella or key west worth 95,700 star options you can get a 2 bedroom lockout in Atlantis/Cancun/St John. Plus you’ll have interval for Orlando trips through AC’s when needed. Another option is a standard two bedroom.

Also, just because you’re on vacation right now in Aruba don’t let that sway your decision to purchase. If you’ve rented this long and it’s been working, you can keep that strategy for the long run. Keep in mind, the next year or so may provide low cost rentals due to the pandemic.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I would start with something that is free, absolutely free (no closing costs or transfer fees). Right now there are Sheraton Broadway Plantation 2 bedroom lockoffs free on ebay and redweek.com That is Myrtle Beach, those trade well (extremely well) with ongoing searches, and you can get two weeks for the price of one. This is what I recommended to Rick's firefighter friends, and all of them have been so thankful for the advice I have given them. It's what I would recommend to my own kids, who actually own most of our units with us, anyway.

A 2 bedroom lockoff has fees of $1,268.08. That gives you two deposits. Exchanges to Marriott and other Sheraton/Westin, $154 each. Upgrade fees are $118 from a one bedroom to two bedroom (or $59 for upgrade, if you purchase platinum II membership).

I would recommend Sheraton Desert Oasis as well, which might even trade a tiny bit better, but you mentioned Myrtle Beach as a place you like to go, so I took that into consideration.

Good luck to you. I love to trade and I love to go to all over the country.

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would start with something that is free, absolutely free (no closing costs or transfer fees). Right now there are Sheraton Broadway Plantation 2 bedroom lockoffs free on ebay and redweek.com That is Myrtle Beach, those trade well (extremely well) with ongoing searches, and you can get two weeks for the price of one. This is what I recommended to Rick's firefighter friends, and all of them have been so thankful for the advice I have given them. It's what I would recommend to my own kids, who actually own most of our units with us, anyway.

A 2 bedroom lockoff has fees of $1,268.08. That gives you two deposits. Exchanges to Marriott and other Sheraton/Westin, $154 each. Upgrade fees are $118 from a one bedroom to two bedroom (or $59 for upgrade, if you purchase platinum II membership).

I would recommend Sheraton Desert Oasis as well, which might even trade a tiny bit better, but you mentioned Myrtle Beach as a place you like to go, so I took that into consideration.

Good luck to you. I love to trade and I love to go to all over the country.

Thanks so much dear tuggers for all the great advice.

I guess I won’t jump the gun by starting a purchase while I’m still here.

I have been chatting with a lot of sellers, so far below are some of the options.

1. 4 bedroom at Williamsburg plantation. Someone said that the trading power is good. And worse case scenario, when we decide not to travel, we can go there on week 23 to vacation. Can use both RCI and II.

2. Grand Crowne in Branson 244,000 Pts yearly points. Can bank with Interval International. Broker is selling for 1.00 no transfer fees and no closing cost.

3. GV Las Vegas 2 bedroom or 98k points. Selling for $2, but seller won’t pay closing and transfer fees. Trade with RCI. So many choices. It can get so overwhelming.

I didn’t even think of Murtle beach.

Priscilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because you have a family of 5 I would say you need a 2 bedroom. Also, because you want 3-5 star destinations you want to look at the vistana/Marriott system. You like the Caribbean so I would lean toward the vistana mandatory ownership. The maint fee value on a two bedroom lockoff at say vistana villages may be higher than you want to pay yearly you would be able to split the unit and get two trips a year. With the mandatory ownership of vistana villages in bella or key west worth 95,700 star options you can get a 2 bedroom lockout in Atlantis/Cancun/St John. Plus you’ll have interval for Orlando trips through AC’s when needed. Another option is a standard two bedroom.

Also, just because you’re on vacation right now in Aruba don’t let that sway your decision to purchase. If you’ve rented this long and it’s been working, you can keep that strategy for the long run. Keep in mind, the next year or so may provide low cost rentals due to the pandemic.

Great advice. I’m getting carried away with the rum that I’m drinking here. Lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Great advice. I’m getting carried away with the rum that I’m drinking here. Lol
I knew As soon as you said I’m at surf club lol. I was there in August for two weeks and thought I should buy there. In reality it was the allure of being there with no one there. You couldn’t pay me to go back during normal times. It’s way too crowded of a resort and beach. I enjoyed it being at 20% capacity. I wouldn’t want to be there at 60%+ if you really want to buy and want Caribbean, I like the vistana Caribbean resorts best.

got4boys

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a couple ways to get into the timeshare bug...

1 - Points - Buy a small points contract - Wyndham, Bluegreen and you have access to RCI included in your fees. You would have to pay an annual due. This will give you one night or two in their rooms and low maintenance fees, but you have the RCI access to Interval International.

2. Weeks - Buy a 2 bedroom - lockout, or 1 bedroom - somewhere with low fees (that has Interval International as an exchange company) - my favorite picks - are the every other year - Sheraton Broadway Plantation 1 bedroom (very small ones) - fees run about 400 to 450 per use year, or Sheraton Cascades - smaller side - same thing here (very small ones) - fees run about 450 - 475 per use year, to get your Interval International Membership. Note - you really have to watch the 1 bedrooms - some are the larger ones and the fees are higher. Since Marriott purchased Sheraton, the Sheraton properties can get you Marriott properties in Interval International. Another reason why is that there is flexibility in the booking systems Sheraton Broadway Planation and Sheraton Vistana Cascades if you ever want to go to those resorts, without paying any more additional fees.

I really like every other year timeshares. It really gives you the flexibility and you are not committed to using it every year.

Last edited:

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I would recommend Sheraton Desert Oasis as well...
I own a 2BR lockoff at SDO, Gold Plus, EOY. It's a voluntary resort, so doesn't participate in StarOptions program. Last year's MF was $610.18. I use it almost exclusively to trade in Interval International (stayed there only twice, when I moved).

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider if the timeshare trades in RCI or II and which other resorts are affiliated with those exchange companies. And I'd wait at least a month (longer actually) after a vacation before I'd start seriously considering buying. You have time to come down off of your vacation and think clearly about your reality of future plans.