• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

beaches at Royals?

rynker

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave in a week for the Sands and Mayan. Does anyone know if the beaches are good or bad now? Just wondering where to lay my towel!!!!:)

rwpeterson

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at the Sands last week

It was our first visit to any of the Royals. WOW!!!!!

We thought the beach at the Sands was very nice (but small). Red flags were up every day but they normally had one spot with a yellow flag so people could enjoy the surf. We are scuba divers and arranged 3 dives through the Sands sports desk. Very good diving, divemaster Martin is great!

We had a great time, hope you do too.

Wendy

PS: We had great meals at:
Puerta Madera (argentinian steakhouse just down the street from the Sands)
Terraneo (new restaurant just down the street from the Sands)
La Habicheula (downtown Cancun)

La Veranda at the Sands was just OK (service was excellent though) and we must have hit Hacienda Sisal on a bad night. We weren't terribly impressed with it.

buceo

Reaction score
rwpeterson, anymore info/details on the new reataurant, Terraneo? That's great news. Harry's, also just down from the Sands is excellent, as a Puerta Madera type steak house.

I'm not sure Sisal was a "bad night". It used to be excellent two years ago and very under rated. Last year it was a real disappointment with a new "Mexican food" menu. They used to have some great dishes there.

Martin is excellent and spotted some Caribbean Squid overhead last summer. After diving all week for years he still seems to truely enjoy every dive.

love2fly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Sands beach

Hi. We were just at the Royal Sands and the beach was in pretty good shape. There was some exposed rock but also a wide and sandy area available for swimming.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from 2 weeks at the Royals three weeks ago. First week was at the Islander and the beaches are closed to swimming there, I believe the Mayan had one area that you could swim in, but not really sure. Spent the second week at the Sands and they had two areas to swim. One on the left of phase two and one in the middle of phase 1. We were told that our maintenance fee would be going up because the Mexican government was looking for the hotels to pay half the cost of the next beach renourishment. I'm not sure an increase in our fees is proper since the beaches belong to the Mexican government, but then I guess they can do what ever they want. :shrug:
KCI's Wingman

Jameson18

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's really sad. I was looking forward to our trip in April, but with the news that the beaches are still in trouble not sure what to expect. What's Cancun without the beaches. I guess the gov't will be looking to dump the problem on the visitors which will surely backfire. if the Hotels and resorts are forced to increase costs to pay for the reconstruction, prices will reach levels that will likely discourage most visitors from coming back. Here goes the revenue and cancun will lose its lustre

toskeysam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back

We just returned from week 48 at the Sands and 49 at the Haciendas. The Sands beach has recovered significantly from the condition it was in at the same time last year. Palapas are up against the wall(s), but still plenty of room. Had two yellow flag areas one day, but most of the time it was limited to only one yellow flag area. Red everywhere else. All beach access points, with the exception of the ramp at Phase I, were open. It was about a 18" drop to the sand at the end, so it stayed closed. Last year it was about a 4 foot drop, so some sand has returned.
It is evident that even without hurricanes, the beach hydraulics have changed everywhere. We did not hear the comments about hotels sharing the cost of the beach renourishment. Maintenance fees are going up everywhere, so it is difficult to separate fact from paranoia. The only thing we did hear was discussion of work to start in the first quarter of 2009. That may just be the engineering studies, only those in direct contact with the effort can tell....I don't know anyone whose information I would trust...so I would watch, read, and listen.