• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach invasion on Marco Island

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I really wanted to make an observation on the Grunion Invasion but I'm not sure the reference would be understood.....

Well, it did happen right after the full moon and the "invaders" were not local.

But it happened during the daytime instead of at nighttime, no bonfires were built, and nothing was buried.

For non-Californians, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunion ; they are a fascinating bit of SoCal beach culture.

Last edited:

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well at least the grunions aren't as ugly as the penis fish that were on some California beaches last year. Now that was an image.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Apparently there was trash left all over the beaches here in Naples too as well as illegal parking. What is wrong with people? I would never think of leaving my trash anywhere but where it belongs....in the trash!

Right?? If it won't fit in the trash cans, take it with you! I don't understand people who think it's OK to trash our beaches - they expect others to clean up their mess and just ruin it for everyone.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Beaches should be open Monday - Fri. 8AM - 7PM.
Open on the weekend only from 8AM - 5PM.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
First we get invaded by 305's, and now LOVE BUGS!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Perhaps the beach police could dig thru the trash like in "Alice's Restaurant" (by Arlo Guthrie) to find identifiers and arrest 'em for littering.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Perhaps the beach police could dig thru the trash like in "Alice's Restaurant" (by Arlo Guthrie) to find identifiers and arrest 'em for littering.
Serious question: can you be cited for littering if the garbage bins are full and you leave your garbage in a bag by the bin? Just asking because one of the pictures posted earlier was showing that case.

Kurt

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think the problem was the weekend opening times. So not sure these times would solve the problem.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question-so were bigger beaches/public beaches closed? And wouldn't it be easier to have the lots full and in use-and then have local police turn anyone away who couldn't get in the lot to control access better? I'm obviously missing something :shrug:.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I have a question-so were bigger beaches/public beaches closed? And wouldn't it be easier to have the lots full and in use-and then have local police turn anyone away who couldn't get in the lot to control access better? I'm obviously missing something :shrug:.
The beaches in Ft Lauderdale and Miami are still closed. The 305's are the people driving across the state to trash our beaches. Naples went back to locals only. I expect more of that.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beaches in Ft Lauderdale and Miami are still closed. The 305's are the people driving across the state to trash our beaches. Naples went back to locals only. I expect more of that.
Ah ok - thank you! Knew I was missing a component! Yeah until things can be under control I don't blame locals one bit for wanting to keep it to locals only!!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Serious question: Can you be cited for littering if the garbage bins are full and you leave your garbage in a bag by the bin? Just asking because one of the pictures posted earlier was showing that case.

Full bins do not give a license to dump trash on the beach, no matter how nicely bagged.
What it does is give one responsibility to find a proper way to dispose of thei waste.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marco Island has rather small public beaches, and limited parking. The people were on supposedly private beaches. The public beach was pretty full also

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Full bins do not give a license to dump trash on the beach, no matter how nicely bagged.
What it does is give one responsibility to find a proper way to dispose of thei waste.
I guess I would rather they at least drop their trash by the overflowing bins than leave it out on the sand. It keeps the beaches clean, and makes it better for those who have to pick up all this crap. They may just haul out a dumpster and throw the trash from all the boardwalks into that. I see them do that when we have a bad seaweed problem.

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
If we have trash - wherever we happen to be - and it won't fit in the trash can, we take it with us. Even if it means putting it in the car and throwing it away when we get home. Just leaving it on the ground anywhere is not OK.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
They just made that decision for the City of Naples beaches. During the week sunrise to sunset. On weekends and Memorial Day 7-11 and 5-sunset. They are limiting what you can bring, parking. Not sure how they plan to enforce it all. Hopefully it will at least deter some of the crowds. Although, it probably mean those people just go to other beaches where there are no limitations. Seems as if Collier County and Marco will have to follow (at least put in weekend restrictions) or risk being even more crowded then last weekend.

EDITED TO UPDATE
County beaches will be open as usual weekday hours with no additional restrictions, but changes are temporarily in place for weekends. Hours will be bifurcated Saturdays, Sundays and Memorial Day when beaches are open 7 to 11 a.m. and then 5 p.m. to sunset, to mirror the times for city beaches. Also during the weekends, county parking garages and lots will be limited to access only by residents whose vehicles have Collier or Naples beach parking stickers. County beaches include those at Barefoot, Bluebill, Conner, Vanderbilt and Clam Pass in the unincorporated areas, as well as South Marco and Tigertail on Marco Island.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Theme parks are supposed to have a phased opening starting June 1st, so just hold off until then and it will clear up.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Theme parks are supposed to have a phased opening starting June 1st, so just hold off until then and it will clear up.
Where are you seeing June 1st date? I see where their shopping and dining districts are having limited openings (City Walk, Downtown Disney), but no word on the parks yet. Can you cite your source?

IslandTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I can't imagine that will happen. Disney isn't taking hotel reservations until July 1 and no reopening dates have been announced for their parks yet.

And furthermore, the only cast members who have been called back from furlough are maintenance and sanitation custodians for Disney Springs, in preparation for the May 20 reopening there. I believe the cast members for the parks will have to be called back at least one week, more likely two weeks, before reopening of the parks in order to train on the new procedures necessitated by COVID-19.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
LOL! I would get it. I grew up on the coast in Northern CA and we had grunion invasions. Hadn’t thought of that in a long time.

Best regards.

Mike

Me too. I had forgotten about the grunion runs.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Where are you seeing June 1st date? I see where their shopping and dining districts are having limited openings (City Walk, Downtown Disney), but no word on the parks yet. Can you cite your source?

Pete Werner on Dis Unplugged said all his internal contacts were saying "phased reopening June 1st"

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
The latest and greatest from Marco, formal version of what LMD posted earlier (the 305's are in for a big surprise):

Marco 5-13.png