• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BCS Championship Rentals

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How did it go Ron P - I bet there are others who are curious, too, so I am posting rather than pm-ing.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking

I was able to rent twenty-two 3 and 4 night reservations at Avenue Plaza and one week at Hotel de l'eau Vive for the BCS...Thank god Alabama won....I think all my guests were 'Bama Fans. 18 of these reservations came from ads on craigs list, 4 from a referral from another Tugger...thanks

Ive gotten several emails back from my guests raving about Avenue Plaza, and the staff (they have just completed a top to bottom; back to the walls,; new kitchens and bath renovation with no special assessments)

I also rented 2 mardi gras reservations last month so everything I have at Avenue Plaza for 2012 is done...looking forward to 2013

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Major congrats to you (and to Bama!)

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Not always so easy

A few years back, I rented my Westin Kierland for the Super Bowl (played in Tempe, AZ). I reserved my unit a year in advance with that exact intent.

The Super Bowl is played on a Sunday, making the typical Saturday check-in less than desirable for many.

The contestants for that game are not determined until two weeks prior, making the rental process frantic.

I came out fine, renting the two halves for $3,200 total (my MF's were about $1,150 back then). But I would never do it again.

Ron's experience was better in that he had more lead time and a more favorable game day (Monday). Anyone who tries this gambit should give these issues some thought in advance.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A few years back, I rented my Westin Kierland for the Super Bowl (played in Tempe, AZ). I reserved my unit a year in advance with that exact intent.

The Super Bowl is played on a Sunday, making the typical Saturday check-in less than desirable for many.

The contestants for that game are not determined until two weeks prior, making the rental process frantic.

I came out fine, renting the two halves for $3,200 total (my MF's were about $1,150 back then). But I would never do it again.

Ron's experience was better in that he had more lead time and a more favorable game day (Monday). Anyone who tries this gambit should give these issues some thought in advance.

Also - Ron has points and could rent out just 3 or 4 nights. People don't usually want to go to a football game for 7 nights - especially since most of the week is after the game, so they miss all the pre-game festivites.

I also had a rental for that Superbowl and the market was absolutely FLOODED with cheap rentals. I ended up renting my lg. 1 bdm. at Sheraton Desert Oasis for $800 at the last minute, but the renter only used the weekend. He was also a pain in the butt. He must have called me 10 times and asked me if I was a scammer. He also called some hotel, not the Sheraton Desert Oasis Timeshare, to see if they had his Resv. and went into a panic when they didn't. I think he called the Sheraton Hotel in Phoenix? He wanted the original hard copy of the reservation, so I had to over-night it to him at his office in New York, and then for some reason, the mail room didn't give it to him - so he went into another panic!

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
to correct a couple of misconceptions

The game was Jan 9; the teams weren't decided until early in December, and the folks that got tickets to the game didnt know for sure that they were getting tickets until sometime after that. So although there was a lot more time to get it done than. say a Superbowl or the NCAA final four I still only had a about 25 days to work...not a lot of lead time

I didnt use any Wyndham points to do these reservations. These were floating weeks (with unusual rules)

I dont want to give anyone the impression that I know what Im doing or that Ill ever be able to do it again. or that Im quitting my day job in favor of a timeshare business...And I certainly dont recommend that anyone try to duplicate my lucky month.....As others have said more than once, (and surly will again) There are only a very few gifted individuals that employ very special and secret business plans that can make any money renting timeshares.

But I did have a good month..and against all advice from the anointed ones; Im buying more

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Congratulations

to correct a couple of misconceptions
But I did have a good month..and against all advice from the anointed ones; Im buying more

The results speak for themselves. You know what you are doing, and it can be done.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am assuming the Wynsham properties are too far north of Miami for 2013 ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Ron - I haven't seen anyone advise YOU not to buy more timeshares to rent. That advice has all been directed at newbies who were told by sales people that they can buy from the developer and rent for a big profit.

Also, you had a head start on most people with your real estate experience. I would never advise the average newbie with no experience to jump into the rental market. YMMV