• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BBB St. Louis consumer alert on Summerwinds Resort Services, LLC

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
They used to manage and market 1862 David Walley's Resort in Genoa, NV. It's now managed by Trading Places International.

The scheme then was to convince me I could sell something I already owned at an inflated price to pay for my purchase there. Of course, they weren't going to guarantee the sale.

A Bergman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's
Contrary to the belief of some, the BBB is not a government-run organization. It is a nonprofit organization. They take payment from business's in order to establish and retain their status. Because these are independent they are all ran different and how they accredit the business. Zip recruiter lists salaries as high as $250,000 per year. Look at Comcast, over 25,000 complaints in 3 years, voted as one of the most hated companies in the United States, and they have an A rating.
Summer Winds has had 165 complaints in 3 years,and talk to over 1 million people a year.
Just saying there is a fee to have your grade raised. Back in 2010 20/20 did a scam buster show on this and unearthed this reality. CNN Money found a sampling of more than 100 businesses that had A ratings despite having serious actions taken by them by the government regulators. Some were shut down.. One was a Medicare scam that took millions of dollars.
So look at the BBB for what it is, and also check on Trip Advisor who are the actual guests that have stayed at the location, and they do not take a fee, actually the company will be shut out if they pay money for any ratings there. That is how it should work, let the people rate it, not a scam BBB office.

The Better Business Bureau of St. Louis on Wednesday issued a consumer warning about Branson, Mo.-based Summerwinds Resort Services, LLC. Summerwinds is the marketing arm for Stormy Point Village. Here is a link to the release:

https://www.bbb.org/en/us/article/n...imeshare-from-summerwinds-resort-services-llc

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contrary to the belief of some, the BBB is not a government-run organization. It is a nonprofit organization. They take payment from business's in order to establish and retain their status. Because these are independent they are all ran different and how they accredit the business.

Well most here would agree with you to some extent about the BBB's credibility. Many of these upfront resale scam companies get BBB- accredited to give it a veil of legitimacy when they contact their potential victims. Then when TS owners become victims of the scam, they file a complaint and report with the BBB who then downgrades the companies' ratings all the way down to F. Unfortunately, that does nothing to help the victim.

That being said, there's that saying Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day. The article in the OP mentioned a legitimate warning against Summerwinds and its marketing strategies. The BBB also sternly warns (after receiving countless complaints) against many of its members who run these upfront fee resale scams. As much as many of us criticize the BBB, the warnings it issues against the upfront fee scammers are legit and appreciated.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, not to disagree with the article (in the sense that it's specifically against a single company), but, really? Summerwinds only? Please tell me which timeshare company any of us have purchased from where the following does not apply:

“Consumer after consumer who contacts BBB about this company complains they were subject to a misleading or pressure-filled sales presentation,” said Michelle L. Corey, BBB St. Louis president and CEO. “Claims and promises made in the sales presentations should match what is on the contract the consumers are asked to sign and initial.”

There are endless Tug threads about all TS companies and this very issue. Ever hear people say here on Tug if the salesman lips are moving they are lying? I don't think this problem is specific to Summerwinds.

Just to be clear, I am not a Summerwinds owner but have been to plenty (>30) TS presentations from at least 5 companies, and, I believe that description fits all of them. Westin, Marriott, Disney, you name it. I do however love that resort, great place to stay in a house on getaways, very cheap. Do they try to pressure me into going to a presentation every time I stay there, of course. The answer is no, end of story.

For me, the BBB warning as it applies specifically to Summerwinds is meh, not really news, at least to Tuggers.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
always be happy when SOMEONE is out there making an effort to warn consumers in their local area...

its far better than most for sure!