• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bayclub 14000 points Platinum Biennial

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Got a Hilton Bayclub 14000 Biennial Platinum for a great price on the resale.

Just have few questions:
1) Since it is Biennial and its 14000 points and I can't use all the points in one year (We are in our early 30s with a baby and don't get that much time off at work), does it cost me to bank the points and use it? If yes, how much for banking and how much for using it in the next year?

2) I have seen multiple posts saying biennial ownerships are not that popular. Why is that?
3) The MF is around ~$3k every two years but I figured since I am paying much less for the ownership, the points I get are going to be cheaper (cost per point) for the next 10 years atleast.

4) Also, the deed says its even year award with odd year usage. Meaning I have to pay the MF in 2018 for the points I get in 2019. Is this normal?

5) Also, since Bay club is an affiliate HGCV, are there any negatives in getting into HGCV ownership this way?

Really appreciate the inputs. I hope I don't have to rescind based on your inputs (really excited to be an owner).

Thanks again,
spdhanr

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Our HGVC deed combines 2 weeks even with 2 weeks odd - the agent said many of the Bay Club contracts were originally put together that way.

You will probably need to bank half your biannual points so you have some to use every year. Hilton charges about $100 for that, and there are ins and outs for making sure you use the right pot of points when you reserve and travel, depending on time of year.

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Read your thread. Great info, thanks for compiling.
But do you have to pay another $100 when you use them the next year? And can we bank all of the unused points at the end of the year?

Sorry, you might have answered them in the thread but appreciate if you can answer again.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Read your thread. Great info, thanks for compiling.
Not my thread. This board is run by a group of volunteers who do an amazing job of gathering and sharing information.

I found it took me several reads over several days to feel like I was beginning to have a handle on it. But I bookmarked the page so I can find it again as needed.

There are an assortment of Hilton fees, and they vary, depending on whether you are booking home week (Bay Club for you) or another Hilton resort. Fees are somewhat lower if you book online. Bay Club cannot be booked online because it is an affiliate, and the HGVC website has some trouble with affiliates.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The HGVC Fee Schedule:
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/8198928a-83bd-4b58-a749-12344549acb4/2018-HGV-Club-Fees-v4 (002).pdf

Tis better to be a borrower (free) than a saver (fee). So, if you can get yourself into a spot where you are borrowing from a future year, rather than banking points, you'll be a bit better off. If you are using the points in a year for which you have none, the system will borrow from the following year the number of points needed for the booking, automatically.

You can read the rules here:
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/9c9f4bae-5ce6-4f93-88a8-34f2675c5400/2018-HGV-Club-Rules-Reference-v4 (002).pdf

Ever though you are only billed MF's EOY, you will be billed club dues ($170) annually.

HGVC treats Bay Club like an beloved adopted child. You'd almost never know its an affiliate.

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas, Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (DRI), Worldmark
This is not true. It's online with all the other Big Island resorts.

This is true for Club weeks, but for Home week reservations, you are sent a form each year to request your preferred home week choices and you have to send it in to them to reserve your home week.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
This is true for Club weeks, but for Home week reservations, you are sent a form each year to request your preferred home week choices and you have to send it in to them to reserve your home week.

Yup this was my first time this year in which I requested my home week by paper form. I half expected a confirmation by email or even paper back. It wasn't until a few weeks later when I logged into HGVC that I saw my requested time period confirmed. I suppose for non-HGVC enrolled owners they email or slo-mail.

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info folks. The more I'm reading the forums, the more confused I am about my purchase.

Here are my new conflicts:
1) Wondering if 14000 points is too much for Biennial for a family of 2 + 1 baby?
2) Is renting that much better option than buying? When I wanted to go to Hawaii in this month, I could not find great rentals in the time frame I am looking (checked out redweek, tugbbs and ebay).

Thanks again for taking me through this decision making :)

Cheers,
spdhanr

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HGVC Fee Schedule:
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/8198928a-83bd-4b58-a749-12344549acb4/2018-HGV-Club-Fees-v4 (002).pdf

Tis better to be a borrower (free) than a saver (fee). So, if you can get yourself into a spot where you are borrowing from a future year, rather than banking points, you'll be a bit better off. If you are using the points in a year for which you have none, the system will borrow from the following year the number of points needed for the booking, automatically.

You can read the rules here:
https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/9c9f4bae-5ce6-4f93-88a8-34f2675c5400/2018-HGV-Club-Rules-Reference-v4 (002).pdf

Ever though you are only billed MF's EOY, you will be billed club dues ($170) annually.

HGVC treats Bay Club like an beloved adopted child. You'd almost never know its an affiliate.

That makes more sense, thanks

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thanks for all the info folks. The more I'm reading the forums, the more confused I am about my purchase.

Here are my new conflicts:
1) Wondering if 14000 points is too much for Biennial for a family of 2 + 1 baby?
2) Is renting that much better option than buying? When I wanted to go to Hawaii in this month, I could not find great rentals in the time frame I am looking (checked out redweek, tugbbs and ebay).

Thanks again for taking me through this decision making :)

Cheers,
spdhanr

for #1, 14K points does sound like too much since you will only have a toddler in upcoming years and don't get that much time off from work. You could stay almost 3 weeks in a 1 bdrm EOY (if enrolled in HGVC) Or 2 weeks in a 2 bdrm. Are you planning on having friends or relatives travel with you, so you would need a 2 bdrm?

Maybe an annual for 7000 pts would be better, if you're planning on going to Hawaii almost every year. Same # of points over 2 years as your first option, but you could have a 1.5 weeks vacation each year in a 1 bdrm and not have to pay banking fees each year.

Also remember maintenance for Hawaii units are some of the highest, so buy Hawaii if you are mainly going to use it for Hawaii.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Re #1 - because you can always borrow with no fee, 14000 would allow a family of 2 plus a baby to take 10+ days in a one bedroom every year. That could be stretched even further in off seasons (gold, silver) or maximizing weekday stays. You could easily take 4 5-weekday vacations every year.

RE #2 - renting is always an option. Can you afford $3000 every other year for maint fees, if its not a stretch then I would prefer to own. If it is a stretch, then rent when you can afford it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wanted to add, if you learn to stretch your points into multiple stays it will be cheaper than renting. If you compare to using your home week, renting may look better.

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks dsmrp.

For 2 years, 3 weeks does not sound bad. I think we can manage that.
The MF for Bayclub is $3020 for 2 years. I found the MF is usually 1300 per year in Orlando or Vegas.

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
wanted to add, if you learn to stretch your points into multiple stays it will be cheaper than renting. If you compare to using your home week, renting may look better.

Thanks but what do you mean by stretching? Meaning using a studio instead of 1bedroom?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks but what do you mean by stretching? Meaning using a studio instead of 1bedroom?

There are several strategies to stretch points.

Stay in a lower point season, gold or silver.
Stay weekdays only 1/2 points required.
Stay in smaller units.

Studio might be feasible with a small baby, but not a toddler. Occupancy in a studio is 2.

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are several strategies to stretch points.

Stay in a lower point season, gold or silver.
Stay weekdays only 1/2 points required.
Stay in smaller units.

Studio might be feasible with a small baby, but not a toddler. Occupancy in a studio is 2.

Got it Dave. Thanks

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a Bayclub 14000 Biennial Platinum unit? I know that the Villas are 8400 points. Is this perhaps a penthouse villa during Christmas week?

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The idea with Hawaii Bay Platinum club was if we are busy and couldn't plan a vacation (may be in few years after 2 kids), at least we can go to Hawaii with little to no planning during platinum weeks (mostly end of year, Thanksgiving or Christmas) and use the points.

And if we can't use the points in Bay club, HI, then at least we will be able to rent it out easily or eventually be able to sell it off easily.

If we haven't planned anything or used our points, what is the latest we can reserve at home resort?
And how difficult is it to eventually sell it off (how much out of pocket $ if we just put it on eBay?)

Thanks again,
spdhanr

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
...at least we can go to Hawaii with little to no planning during platinum weeks (mostly end of year, Thanksgiving or Christmas) and use the points
You still have to plan. We will be staying at Bay Club in the 2 BR villa (aka 2 BR plus) for a week starting December 1 - we booked in early February as a home week, meaning that we were only competing against other HGVC members who own what we own; ie, 2BR plus @ Bay Club. Home week is 9-12 months out. At 9 months out, booking opens up to HGVC members who own everywhere else, so competition for a finite # of units escalates.
In looking via the HGVC website, there are no 1BR units available for that week of December 1-8. There are still quite a few 2BR. The week that includes Thanksgiving still has quite a few openings. But the weeks that include Christmas and NY have essentially nothing available.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a Bayclub 14000 Biennial Platinum unit? I know that the Villas are 8400 points. Is this perhaps a penthouse villa during Christmas week?

I believe the contract(s) has two weeks in a regular 2BR worth 7000 points each in the Platinum Season, EOY.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The idea with Hawaii Bay Platinum club was if we are busy and couldn't plan a vacation (may be in few years after 2 kids), at least we can go to Hawaii with little to no planning during platinum weeks (mostly end of year, Thanksgiving or Christmas) and use the points.

And if we can't use the points in Bay club, HI, then at least we will be able to rent it out easily or eventually be able to sell it off easily.

If we haven't planned anything or used our points, what is the latest we can reserve at home resort?
And how difficult is it to eventually sell it off (how much out of pocket $ if we just put it on eBay?)

Thanks again,
spdhanr

You can only rent your home week at bay club per hgvc t&c. You are not allowed to use the points to book a club reservation to rent out.

There is a $399 enrollment fee so that you are able to convert the weeks into points in hgvc. If you do not enroll the two weeks you will only be able to use those weeks at bay club or trade into rci.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

spdhanr

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can only rent your home week at bay club per hgvc t&c. You are not allowed to use the points to book a club reservation to rent out.

There is a $399 enrollment fee so that you are able to convert the weeks into points in hgvc. If you do not enroll the two weeks you will only be able to use those weeks at bay club or trade into rci.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Whoa! Dint know that.

To do or not to do. Is Hawaii Bayclub is a go or a no go?