• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

bathroom plumbing question

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We thought we had a leaky bathroom pipe/drain too. It turned out after half a dozen plumbers/roofers that we had a roof leak. Turns out the tyvek house wrap was installed upside down and was causing rain water to find its way down a corner post and onto our kitchen ceiling. That roofer turned out to be the hero in our situation and it hasn't leaked since! It wouldn't hurt to start checking the roof, IMO. Good luck, hope you can find the solution soon!

This is my fear - we had a new roof put on about 2 years ago. I have already been up in the attic checking around and nothing blatantly obvious. But, if it is a roof issue...then I need to deal with getting the contractor to come and fix it. Just waiting on rain....but at this point, looking like it may be still a week out!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is all corners of the shower or bathtub well caulked where no water can get out? Sometimes you may only notice a leak when someone is taking a shower when water is splashing.

Yep - all one piece units. I have checked them for cracks with and without weight. They are also caulked very well to floor and ceiling......

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only check all the AC lines for insulation or trash in piping.
Is your hot water heater in the attic?

Did this one too as our AC unit is in the attic. Nothing their either and we haven't run it for about 3 weeks. So, unlikely culprit.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you check around the chimney flashing and all those vent pipe flashing on your roof ?.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that when you get in there, it could get quite big. If it is a small leak that has been going for years, never getting big enough to drip through the lower level, there could be considerable rot and water damage.

I speak from experience. A small ceramic tiles on the floor in the master batch came loose and I went to grout them back into place. Well, of course the reason why they came loose was because water had been getting underneath them. So tracking down to see how far the water had been spreading under the tile, pretty soon that entire floor was gone, only to reveal that that tile had been placed on top of another older tile floor. Which was also failing.

By now I was down to the underfloor, and had removed the tile from the low wall along the side of the shower, on which the shower door was placed. That had been built with studs, then grouted over and tiled. That wood was completely rotted, and it was now apparently that water had been seeping out of the shower for years. Next to go was the base below the shower, showing the subflooring also had extensive rot. and the rot went for at least some distance behind the walls of the shower, where I had not yet removed the tile.

So now the wall tiles are coming off, along with the underlayment behind the walls, and the lower two feet of many of the wall studs were also shot. The joists, fortunately, were in relatively good condition. Some rot on the top of a couple of them, that was easily addressed by removing the rot and adding a companions to the joists to bring everything back to grade.

There was another bathroom directly underneath this, and never did any water show up in the ceiling there.

My little afternoon project to fix the loose tiles in the floor turned into a four-month project in which the entire bathroom was redone except for the ceiling and the outside wall on the opposite side from the shower.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my fear - we had a new roof put on about 2 years ago. I have already been up in the attic checking around and nothing blatantly obvious. But, if it is a roof issue...then I need to deal with getting the contractor to come and fix it. Just waiting on rain....but at this point, looking like it may be still a week out!

The roofer who found our leak used a garden hose to simulate a rainstorm and had his partner stay inside the attic to watch for leaks. They also took off some siding which is how they found the tyvek problem. I would call the contractor now, explain the situation and make an appointment to have them inspect the roof ASAP.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Water Hose; May I suggest using a hose to shoot some water on various aspects of the roof, such as: around the chimney(s), around the skylight(s), around windows, any exposed vent pipe(s), and down the valleys. Doing it now will allow you to stop and shut the hose off if you happen to be lucky to discover the exact source of the leak (as opposed to waiting for the next uncontrollable natural downpour).

Just a suggestion which I hope works for you......

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Water Hose; May I suggest using a hose to shoot some water on various aspects of the roof, such as: around the chimney(s), around the skylight(s), around windows, any exposed vent pipe(s), and down the valleys. Doing it now will allow you to stop and shut the hose off if you happen to be lucky to discover the exact source of the leak (as opposed to waiting for the next uncontrollable natural downpour).

Just a suggestion which I hope works for you......

Good suggestion.....I spent a good portion of the morning/afternoon with my hose and ladder, drenching the entire roof, fill gutters. Still nothing. Absolutely strange.......

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good suggestion.....I spent a good portion of the morning/afternoon with my hose and ladder, drenching the entire roof, fill gutters. Still nothing. Absolutely strange.......

I hope it was warmer at your place than mine this morning.

If I were to guess (since you can't replicate it) ? Wind driven rain.

Keep all of us posted!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion Spread the water east to west on the back side of your home.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: It has been a month now with my kitchen ceiling open. Waiting and watching. Absolutely nothing, not even a drop of water. We have had two heavy rainstorms and I have run all water options in the upstairs bathrooms. The contractor believes it must be coming from poor flashing from an exterior deck roof that is on the other side of the area. Maybe, but I have my doubts as that roof line is about 8 inches lower than my kitchen ceiling and I would have seen something with the rain we had. The flashing was redone yesterday anyway.

I still think it was plumbing related because the original ceiling stains ceiling stains spread after shower usage upstairs and when the ceiling was opened, the water was "clean" no waste water smell, no musty smell and the area has no mold growth. But, it can't be duplicated.

It's a mystery. The one thing I do know right now, it will definitely show up again, probably about 2 minutes of the new kitchen ceiling paint has dried. Ugh.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question; are you using your A/C unit now or have you used it in the past month?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Is your house or chimney brick? We once had a mysterious ceiling leak that came from a porous brick chimney absorbing water. A silicone spray on the brick took care of it. Since you’ve had rainfall and sprayed roof, etc. with a hose with no resulting repeat leak it’s probably not that but just thought I’d mention it.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pedro - we stopped using the central AC about 2-3 weeks prior to the staining showing on the ceiling.
Glynda - not brick....but the house is a consideration. All our window trim and corner boards have rotted (that project starts next week) and water could be getting in from there. the issue is there was no rain for a good 2 weeks prior to the staining......and the two recent rain storms have developed nothing. And since my ceiling is open it would be easy to detect.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our other house here is a 1875 former kitchen house that over the years was attached to the main house it used to serve. After purchasing it and completing our remodel our original heart pine floors on the second floor started to cup badly. There was no water stain on the first floor ceiling and its floors were fine.The attic was fine. Finally,I hired an inspector to come out and he detected moisture in walls particularly close to the front house walls. Turned out that our front house neighbor's HVAC pan in his fourth floor attic was overflowing and somehow found its way down to our second floor. It bypassed our attic and did not get down to the first floor. Water takes strange paths sometimes.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have a window in the room where the staining is occurring . Please check the installation over these windows for leaks. My neighbor next door new Pella windows were not installed properly which is causing a leak in their living room, when it rain in a certain direction and hard & steady. This problem have been fixed.

Also, they have a roof leak where their car porch is join to the main part of their house. This is a current nightmare.